HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,631 of 6,622
Is anyone still have WiFi connection issues?
I'm starting to think that this has more to do with how close one is to their router rather than a problem with the DAP?

This is the only glaring thing that I found to be bothersome with this DAP.
IF I remain in certain positions then the connection stays fine, but if I move then it drops at a moment's notice. I know it's the dap and not the router channel as none of the other devices I use had any problems connecting and more importantly stay connected. That includes (deep breath) Sonos, Ipad, Cayin, Fiio, Pioneer and so on and so forth. The Hiby is the only device I've had that's had issues staying connected. As I don't use wifi that much (apps downloading mainly) I'm not that fussed, but it is a pita. I certainly shouldn't be waving the device around in the air like an old radio trying to pick up a station that's only available in a certain spot in 2018!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #3,632 of 6,622
IF I remain in certain positions then the connection stays fine, but if I move then it drops at a moment's notice. I know it's the dap and not the router channel as none of the other devices I use had any problems connecting and more importantly stay connected. That includes (deep breath) Sonos, Ipad, Cayin, Fiio, Pioneer and so on and so forth. The Hiby is the only device I've had that's had issues staying connected. As I don't use wifi that much (apps downloading mainly) I'm not that fussed, but it is a pita. I certainly shouldn't be waving the device around in the air like an old radio trying to pick up a station that's only available in a certain spot in 2018!
Streaming for me is important and one of the main reasons I got this.

For the time being it sits there in the drawer waiting if and when it'll be returned and exchanged.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #3,633 of 6,622
Streaming for me is important and one of the main reasons I got this.

For the time being it sits there in the drawer waiting if and when it'll be returned and exchanged.

As much as I like using the hiby this experience has taught me to be wary of the crowdfunding scene when it comes to this sort of thing.

If this unit had been available through amazon or the like we would have simply hit them up for a refund or replacement by now and been done with it. Instead we are at the mercy of one person (no offence or ill will to Joe Bloggs intended here by the way, so put the pitch forks away)who obviously has other duties/life stuff to attend to and can't sit in front of a screen all day replying to all concerns. Now the focus has shifted from the R6 to R3 for release on kickstarter so I wonder how often the firmware and such will be updated?

Mind you we shouldn't complain too much or too loudly. For an absolute shambles of a non product not released on indiegogo go take a look at the poor folks waiting for the zx vega. £100 down the drain and looks like they may never get a product, never mind a refund!.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,634 of 6,622
Thanks for the replies.
I asked Joe about this as well about a week ago and haven't gotten a reply.
If I don't read any reports of progress in this area then I definitely won't be buying the HiBy R6.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #3,635 of 6,622
Thanks for the replies.
I asked Joe about this as well about a week ago and haven't gotten a reply.
If I don't read any reports of progress in this area then I definitely won't be buying the HiBy R6.
Oh it's a good unit as long as you get one without issues. If you find a site that does returns then give it a punt, you have nothing to lose.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,637 of 6,622
Musictek in the states seem to be the only stockists around atm, you would have to ask them about returns/refunds. Heard good things about them though.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,638 of 6,622
As much as I like using the hiby this experience has taught me to be wary of the crowdfunding scene when it comes to this sort of thing.

If this unit had been available through amazon or the like we would have simply hit them up for a refund or replacement by now and been done with it. Instead we are at the mercy of one person (no offence or ill will to Joe Bloggs intended here by the way, so put the pitch forks away)who obviously has other duties/life stuff to attend to and can't sit in front of a screen all day replying to all concerns. Now the focus has shifted from the R6 to R3 for release on kickstarter so I wonder how often the firmware and such will be updated?

Mind you we shouldn't complain too much or too loudly. For an absolute shambles of a non product not released on indiegogo go take a look at the poor folks waiting for the zx vega. £100 down the drain and looks like they may never get a product, never mind a refund!.

My thoughts exactly David.
Funnily, I was advising potential backers in the X5-iii forum to steer clear from crowdfunding projects as I had bad experience in the past.
Result? Not only I sold my X5 and backed R6 but consequently also backed the R3 release... A total sum of over 500 pounds and don't know if and when I'm going to get working units.

I will gladly receive my nomination for the stupidity of the year!

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3,639 of 6,622
They actually do have a refund policy, but I'm looking into it more at the moment.
So at the moment it seems like it's either a hit or a miss with the units?

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #3,640 of 6,622
I'm not sure if its a hit and miss on the wifi.
I did not hear any issues from people who received the first lot.
Apart from one person who sent theres back due to a sd slot problem.
They asked for the original back as the wifi on the replacement was not that good.
Looks like there was a component source issue or a production problem on this second batch.

For me its not an issue as I dont use the wifi other than update

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #3,641 of 6,622

Given that they plan to sell this on the retail market globally, I'm less concerned with that than other one-off crowdfunded products.

Hiby's product has excellent features and is priced competitively. I have few doubts that it will sell well, and will continue to get support.

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #3,644 of 6,622
This is for Joe Bloggs or anyone else that may have experienced this and found a solution. I searched this thread for "I/O Error" but came up with nothing.

I purchased my SS R6 from Musictech. Have more than 800 songs on internal memory and listen to it daily. I'm running software 1.19.

I purchased a new SanDisk Ultra Plus 128 GB from a reputable nationwide store. I installed it in the R6 and formatted it there as external memory. I connected the R6 to my Windows 10 PC using the usb cable that came with the R6 and selected usb file transfer on the R6. On the PC I can see both the internal and external memory of the R6. On the external memory card I set up the music/artist/album file structure and then drag and dropped .flac music from the PC.

I disconnected the R6 from the PC. On the R6 I can see both internal and external memory music lists but when I try to select any song from the external memory card I get a flashing "I/O Error" on the screen of the R6. I have to exit Hiby Music and re-start to get rid of the error message. I transferred one of the songs from the external memory to internal memory playlist with success but again when I select that song I get the same "I/O Error" message. These song files were ripped from the original CD's using VLC media player.

Any suggestions?

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #3,645 of 6,622
This is for Joe Bloggs or anyone else that may have experienced this and found a solution. I searched this thread for "I/O Error" but came up with nothing.

I purchased my SS R6 from Musictech. Have more than 800 songs on internal memory and listen to it daily. I'm running software 1.19.

I purchased a new SanDisk Ultra Plus 128 GB from a reputable nationwide store. I installed it in the R6 and formatted it there as external memory. I connected the R6 to my Windows 10 PC using the usb cable that came with the R6 and selected usb file transfer on the R6. On the PC I can see both the internal and external memory of the R6. On the external memory card I set up the music/artist/album file structure and then drag and dropped .flac music from the PC.

I disconnected the R6 from the PC. On the R6 I can see both internal and external memory music lists but when I try to select any song from the external memory card I get a flashing "I/O Error" on the screen of the R6. I have to exit Hiby Music and re-start to get rid of the error message. I transferred one of the songs from the external memory to internal memory playlist with success but again when I select that song I get the same "I/O Error" message. These song files were ripped from the original CD's using VLC media player.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried moving any files from the PC to the Internal memory directly? If that works, the microsd card may have a problem. I normally rip with Foobar2K...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back