HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,521 of 6,628
All units purchased through Indiegogo have a functioning Google Play out of the box. If you obtained your unit from the Chinese market it doesn't. But it can be added by following the instructions here: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgbME4SmSecBqpACLww Note however that such an R6 would still be different firmware-wise from the international version.
Thank you for the link and the info. Upon searching this thread like crazy, I've come to believe that getting firmware updates will be easy for the Chinese version. So, I assume that firmware updates for things such as album artwork updates will be easy to get.

However, the one question I cant find an answer to is; in what specific ways am I going to be screwing myself over by taking delivery of the Chinese version. I have to give the dealer an answer tonight, as i paid for the unit last week. Thanks for the support.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #2,522 of 6,628
Thank you for the link and the info. Upon searching this thread like crazy, I've come to believe that getting firmware updates will be easy for the Chinese version. So, I assume that firmware updates for things such as album artwork updates will be easy to get.

However, the one question I cant find an answer to is; in what specific ways am I going to be screwing myself over by taking delivery of the Chinese version. I have to give the dealer an answer tonight, as i paid for the unit last week. Thanks for the support.
Perhaps reselling the R6 one day may be a bit tougher. You may want to check with @Joe Bloggs on Tidal compatibility with the unit. Also, I'm guessing that anytime you update firmware, you may have to reinstall Google Play. Not sure about that one, though.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,523 of 6,628
Perhaps reselling the R6 one day may be a bit tougher. You may want to check with @Joe Bloggs on Tidal compatibility with the unit. Also, I'm guessing that anytime you update firmware, you may have to reinstall Google Play. Not sure about that one, though.

Reselling, not a big deal to me. That's a pill I will swallow if and when the time comes. Also reinstalling google play doesn't concern me. I'm an impatient guy and want my beautiful brick of beats NOW!

However, No Tidal or Deezer compatibility would be a major bummer. Obviously Joe is a busy guy, so, can anyone confirm Tidal and Deezer support on Chinese Firmware?
Also, I'm still would like to know what else may be a major bummer about the Chinese firmware version if I'm in 'Merica.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #2,524 of 6,628
Reselling, not a big deal to me. That's a pill I will swallow if and when the time comes. Also reinstalling google play doesn't concern me. I'm an impatient guy and want my beautiful brick of beats NOW!

However, No Tidal or Deezer compatibility would be a major bummer. Obviously Joe is a busy guy, so, can anyone confirm Tidal and Deezer support on Chinese Firmware?
Also, I'm still would like to know what else may be a major bummer about the Chinese firmware version if I'm in 'Merica.
I've been using Tidal on my R6 everyday for over a month now. EDIT: TLDR didn't realize there were multiple firmwares. My bad.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,525 of 6,628
Thanks to @Paul - iBasso and @icefalkon for helping me get this amazing amp in my life and @Hawaiibadboy for the inspiration to just tape it together; I have the perfect stack.
IMG_20180409_201529.jpg
IMG_20180409_201616.jpg
IMG_20180409_201657.jpg

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2,526 of 6,628
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #2,528 of 6,628

Dear dzlvs8,

As long as you do not do a factory reset, the Chinese version should perform similarly to the international version after installing google on it per the link given. Google Play would survive updates (but not factory resets). The difference lies mostly in the fact that Indiegogo units were officially given international warranty while the Chinese retailer officially takes responsibility of the units they sold. Well, if that doesn't work, drop us an email :p

-------------

Whelp... haven't been able to post a shipping update for a while. Don't know how helpful or predictive this is but just heard my bosses say we "need" to have all IGG units shipped out by... Let's just say "woohoo, really soon" :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,529 of 6,628
Four strips of permanent double-sided 3M Scotch @Stealer

Blu-tack works for me to securely stack audio gear together without leaving permanent residue on the gear's finish. Just sayin' :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #2,530 of 6,628
Dear dzlvs8,

As long as you do not do a factory reset, the Chinese version should perform similarly to the international version after installing google on it per the link given. Google Play would survive updates (but not factory resets). The difference lies mostly in the fact that Indiegogo units were officially given international warranty while the Chinese retailer officially takes responsibility of the units they sold. Well, if that doesn't work, drop us an email :p

-------------

Whelp... haven't been able to post a shipping update for a while. Don't know how helpful or predictive this is but just heard my bosses say we "need" to have all IGG units shipped out by... Let's just say "woohoo, really soon" :D
SWEET! Thanks for helping out a desparate guy!

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #2,531 of 6,628
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,532 of 6,628
Thanks to @Paul - iBasso and @icefalkon for helping me get this amazing amp in my life and @Hawaiibadboy for the inspiration to just tape it together; I have the perfect stack.
I don't know a ton about headphone amps since I don't have insanely good headphones, but why would you need a headphone amp AND a DAP. I thought you only need an amp when you have a DAC. To keep this on the R6 topic, if I have an R6 (which i will soon :D ) what type of level of headphones would benefit from using a headphone amp with the R6?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,534 of 6,628
I don't know a ton about headphone amps since I don't have insanely good headphones, but why would you need a headphone amp AND a DAP. I thought you only need an amp when you have a DAC. To keep this on the R6 topic, if I have an R6 (which i will soon :D ) what type of level of headphones would benefit from using a headphone amp with the R6?
Lower output impeadance, more power, and an analog volume pot. Definitely overkill and personal preference. And it actually feels better in my hand now. I wouldn't have bothered with it to be honest if it wasn't so slim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back