HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,591 of 6,628
I received the R6 a couple days ago, and received my shipping notice yesterday. :rolling_eyes:

I read earlier in this thread that the Line Out bypasses the amp circuit. However, when I run through the LO jack to an external amp, the volume can still be controlled by the R6's volume buttons. Does this indicate that the amp circuit is not being bypassed and I'm double amping?

Hi, are you using mini 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC or using the LO/Coaxial cable provided by Hiby, to hook up your R6 with external amp?

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,592 of 6,628
They sound brighter out of the R6 than out of those "0 ohm" sources.

No, it means the volume control of the DAC section itself is being utilized. The amp section actually has fixed low and high gains (you know, like those honking big monoblock speaker amps... :ksc75smile:)

Hi Hiby, I don't really understand what you mean by "amp section has fixed low and high gains". Can you elaborate more on this? By the way, can I use mini 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC to hook R6 to external amp? Lastly, the LO/Coaxial cable can only use on those integrated amp, am I right? Please advise.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,593 of 6,628
Loving the R6 so far. Tested with 64 Audio U4SE with Null Audio balanced cable and holy moses what a pair up. Sounds absolutley awesome. AK7xxx not so good. Only been able to test with Oidio 3.5, still waiting for Plussound balanced. Set it up with my FIIO A5 and what a difference! Hoping they sound better with the balanced cable when it gets here. The R6 itself, so much better than my X5 iii (selling it already) in so many ways. I'm a noob and love reading all your comments guys!

Hi, may I know how do you hook up your R6 with FiiO A5? I tried to hook up my R6 with FiiO E12 through LO using mini 3.5mm IC but no sound from e12.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,595 of 6,628
Could you elaborate where the R6 is better compared to X5iii? The X5iii is a very popular DAP so a comparison between these 2 might come helpful as a reference to many of us.
Would love to help but a bit of a noob and don't think I could give you a professional opinion. The X5iii is great but the R6 overall experience is way better in all aspects.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,596 of 6,628
Trinity Audio Icarus III are terminated after left and right join, they provide 2x 3.5mm cables, one normal and one balanced. Think their logic was to use a 3.5mm balanced on their DAP.

So guess I can use the 3.5mm balanced cable and the penon audio adaptor down to 2.5mm. It should work seeing as it is an accessory on their Icarus III listing. Was just wondering if anyone else makes anything similar. They also do a longer cable totally replacing the Trinity Audio Cable. Not sure if that is better but as its out of stock I do not have many options....
I have the Penon 3.5 mm balanced to 2.5 mm adapter and used it with the R6 successfully.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,598 of 6,628
Same way. 3.5 mini from one to another through LO.

Do you face any difficulty of plugging in the 3.5 mini into R6 LO? Not sure whether because the jack is "virgin" or not, I did faced some resistance when I trying to push the plug in. Thought I had damaged the LO jack which causing no sound from my e12. So, R6's LO isn't a true LO which needs to crank up the volume at R6? Isn't it double amping?

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,599 of 6,628
3.5mm to 3.5mm to a VE RunAbout Plus.

I do have a McIntosh D1100 DAC and preamp with a Coax input, but if the output of the R6 is analog, wouldn't this be a strange thing to do?

Cool....you have VE RunAbout Plus too. I tried on my e12 and was surprised that no sound coming out when R6 volume was set at zero, only some cracking sound coming when I started to crank up R6 volume.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,600 of 6,628
1. You need to set the multifunction output to Line out
2. The volume control belongs to the DAC section. The amp section has no volume control. Hence it's a true line out with volume control.
--Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,601 of 6,628
1. You need to set the multifunction output to Line out
2. The volume control belongs to the DAC section. The amp section has no volume control. Hence it's a true line out with volume control.
--Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply.
1) Yes, multifunction output is set to Line Output, always.
2) If R6 volume control is meant for its DAC, what should be the R6 volume set to? Max volume at R6 and control volume at amp side??? Or other way round?

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #1,605 of 6,628
@Joe Bloggs , I do have a McIntosh D1100 DAC and preamp with a Coax input, but if the output of the R6 is analog, wouldn't this be a strange thing to do? Is the signal out from the converter cable Coax analogue or digital?
That's digital but the others were talking about using a regular line cable and setting the R6 to output analog line signals.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back