HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #918 of 6,622
Has anyone tried the Campfire Vega iems with the R6?

Just tried it now, using ALO SPC balanced cable. Great pair up, bass hits hard and is well controlled (no spillage into lower mids), mids are clear, smooth, organic, treble is well controlled too (Vega can get harsh and a bit sibilant in some pair ups - but not here). No effect of high OI, can be used directly without any adapters, sounds on par with Plenue 2 I had right next to it.

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #919 of 6,622
Since I already had VEGA with balanced cable, I started the next battery test. This one with VEGA, balanced HO, high gain, high res FLAC, playing in a loop with a display off. Will update with results once battery is close to be drained. That will be my worst case scenario test :wink:

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #920 of 6,622
I'll see if I can't remember to try the same with DSD files.

I tried the JHAudio Roxanne and Layla with unexpectedly good results, ie: no significant frequency shift.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #921 of 6,622
I'll see if I can't remember to try the same with DSD files.

I tried the JHAudio Roxanne and Layla with unexpectedly good results, ie: no significant frequency shift.

There is definitely a penalty in battery life when you switch to high gain, balanced output, and play hi-res files :) So far, got 6hrs with this config and 25% of battery remaining, so I'm expecting a little over 8 hours, down from 12+ hours with low gain, single ended, mp3 playback. From my experience with other DAPs, this is expected.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #922 of 6,622
There is definitely a penalty in battery life when you switch to high gain, balanced output, and play hi-res files :) So far, got 6hrs with this config and 25% of battery remaining, so I'm expecting a little over 8 hours, down from 12+ hours with low gain, single ended, mp3 playback. From my experience with other DAPs, this is expected.

8 hours worst case scenario is actually fantastic, to me anyway. Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions and of course, from Currawong.

I'm looking to pair my R6 with full sized headphones out of balanced port and noticed you have the T5p, which are one of the possibilities I had in mind. Any chance of a very brief impression of T5p from 2.5mm? Would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #923 of 6,622
Just tried it now, using ALO SPC balanced cable. Great pair up, bass hits hard and is well controlled (no spillage into lower mids), mids are clear, smooth, organic, treble is well controlled too (Vega can get harsh and a bit sibilant in some pair ups - but not here). No effect of high OI, can be used directly without any adapters, sounds on par with Plenue 2 I had right next to it.

Great to read, the Campfire Vega's are on top of my wish list with the HiBy R6.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #924 of 6,622
Thanks for checking! Hopefully the SE output has the same story. I'd hate to have to switch to balanced cables and lose 4 or so hours of playback time.

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #925 of 6,622
I've been listening with the Vegas with nice results. I can just make out the subtle differences between a 44.1 and DSD version albums, which I don't know how much is down to the DAC and how much the mastering.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #926 of 6,622

Confirmed 7hr 45min, driving VEGA balanced, high gain, playing high res file in a loop, and keep in mind these are lower sensitivity iems so you have to push volume higher. Also, I forgot to mention that Wi-Fi was ON in both of these tests, that's an additional battery drain. I should have kept wifi off in my best case scenario test because I'm certain I would have been able to gain another half an hour to get it to 13hrs.

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #929 of 6,622
I'm having a strange issue with the IGG campaign. I backed the project over a month ago and for some reason my account had no record of my backing/payment, so I checked my CC transactions and found that I did indeed make the payment. I've since reached out to both IGG and Hiby but I'm having a hard time getting help from either, although IGG confirmed that they've received payment and acknowledged that something went wrong. It's a bit of a pain but I'm trying to figure it out. -- Posting this to let other backers know to check their account and make sure your backing transaction has gone through successfully with IGG.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #930 of 6,622
Benz-Fi, I hope IGG and HiBy sort it out!!

In my Indiegogo account it say's :
Order ID 578
Contribution Date
January 8, 2018

Thats Ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back