HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #886 of 6,627
@Joe Bloggs

You guys at Hiby plan on making software to manage music (syncing playlists, play counts, etc) Currently everything is in-player to create everything.

I have over 10k songs in my library and creating playlists can take a very long time right on the device vs software where you can get things done a lot quicker. Smartlists with rules would be a great too but obviously, that would require a lot of programming.
It’s the only thing I’ll miss from leaving iTunes music management to Android.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #887 of 6,627
@Joe Bloggs

You guys at Hiby plan on making software to manage music (syncing playlists, play counts, etc) Currently everything is in-player to create everything.

I have over 10k songs in my library and creating playlists can take a very long time right on the device vs software where you can get things done a lot quicker. Smartlists with rules would be a great too but obviously, that would require a lot of programming.
It’s the only thing I’ll miss from leaving iTunes music management to Android.

Exactly, Android has the music quality but still lags behind ancient iTunes in the management of music. That’s really half the battle. We need someone to create an iTunes like music management program for android. A way you could make playlists very easy on your desktop. My biggest issue with all my dap is getting my iTunes playlists on them. I so badly want to walk away from iTunes but it has me by the throat.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #888 of 6,627
Have you guys given either Media Money or Music Bee a try?

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #889 of 6,627
Interesting but my guess is that playlists created in Mediamonkey or Musicbee won’t sync directly to the HIby music app not to mention count total plays and other information, correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t intend to use another music app other than Hiby so software specially made for the app would make the most sense. Obviously, Hiby is busy making our players but it could be a great play for them to create music software, they could charge and I’d buy.

This would really make the Hiby music app the Android standard if they had software management.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #890 of 6,627
I think the company has already communicated what they plan on releasing with this device. It is amazing, given the price and specs! I find it equally amazing that people are still asking a small boutique company to add on additional software and other items to this offering. It’s true, you can ask for the world. In reality, there is no “one DAP to rule them all” and never will be. $500 buys you the product on the INDIEGOGO page, with all the features listed. I understand that. Hiby needs to deliver THAT. Once that product with those specs is delivered, they are free to add on whatever they wish. I understand that $500 doesn’t buy me the ultimate DAP. MAYBE, it buys just the ultimate DAP right now....

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #891 of 6,627
@Notrix

“I find it equally amazing that people are still asking a small boutique company to add on additional software and other items to this offering.”

Where in my post did I say they need to “add-on” with the shipment of the Hiby R6? I clearly said “You guys at Hiby plan…..” meaning "future" ......focus on my words.
Hiby has already created an amazing music app and now one of the best DAP in the market so then why stop innovating? It’s not asking the world, it’s software.

it's not the end of the world if I ask Joe and the team at Hiby if they have considered management software.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #892 of 6,627
:sweat_smile:

M3U playlists created on the computer can be synced onto playlists on HiByMusic with the "Create playlists from M3U files" option toggled on in the options for a music scan (activated in the left menu), with some caveats, mostly notable among them being that they should be done with correct "relative pathing", i.e. not referencing the disk drive or any upper directories the files were in before being placed in the player where they don't exist. e.g. If a music file was at

D:\User\foo\Album\Music.flac

and now resides in

(internal storage)/Music/Album/Music.flac

The following would be valid references in an M3U:
/Music.flac (for an M3U directly in the Album directory)
/Album/Music.flac (for an M3U one level above)

The following would NOT be valid:
\foo\Album\Music.flac (presumably an M3U created in D:\User\)
D:\User\foo\Album\Music.flac (absolute pathing, as would occur e.g. if the M3U were created in another drive altogether)

Compliant M3U playlists can be created in most music players on the computer by asking it to save the M3U in the same directory as the music or any directories above that will be copied over to the player, as shown above.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #893 of 6,627
I guess you missed the story of the AK100, sales of which tanked after people found out about the output impedance. They had to create the MKII version to fix it. Honestly, Hiby would be better off right now changing the board design before the first batch is produced, unless ...

I believe it was mentioned by Joe that R6 is already for sale in China, thus I have a feeling it's too late to change the design now. An audiophile R6 Pro version in a future might not be a bad idea :wink: But as it is, R6 is one fun little DAP with a lot of tools to shape the sound (between Mage8 effects and something like iEMatch). I have it permanently attached to IE800S now lol!!!

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #894 of 6,627
Interesting but my guess is that playlists created in Mediamonkey or Musicbee won’t sync directly to the HIby music app not to mention count total plays and other information, correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t intend to use another music app other than Hiby so software specially made for the app would make the most sense. Obviously, Hiby is busy making our players but it could be a great play for them to create music software, they could charge and I’d buy.

This would really make the Hiby music app the Android standard if they had software management.

I would so buy a android desktop app to make playlists for android music players. I doesn’t even have to play, just be simple drag and drop to make playlists. Something simple that doesn’t require a million steps.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #895 of 6,627
:sweat_smile:

M3U playlists created on the computer can be synced onto playlists on HiByMusic with the "Create playlists from M3U files", with some caveats, mostly notable among them being that they should be done with correct "relative pathing", i.e. not referencing the disk drive or any upper directories the files were in before being placed in the player where they don't exist. e.g. If a music file was at

D:\User\foo\Album\Music.flac

and now resides in

(internal storage)/Music/Album/Music.flac

The following would be valid references in an M3U:
/Music.flac (for an M3U directly in the Album directory)
/Album/Music.flac (for an M3U one level above)

The following would NOT be valid:
\foo\Album\Music.flac (presumably an M3U created in D:\User\)
D:\User\foo\Album\Music.flac (absolute pathing, as would occur e.g. if the M3U were created in another drive altogether)

Compliant M3U playlists can be created in most music players on the computer by asking it to save the M3U in the same directory as the music or any directories above that will be copied over to the player, as shown above.

I just learned something. Thanks Joe Bloggs. I have to export my itunes playlists into the same folder as the music for them to work?
I didn't know that.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #896 of 6,627
It appears to be anodised aluminium, so it should be the same as anything else in that way. Build quality is great though. The only tiny issue is that the screen has a very slight curve at the edges causing the screen protector not to be perfectly attached. I imagine it will come off if always put in a pocket without a case on. I wonder if there is a good glass protector that will fit it?

There's no mention AT ALL in the review what headphones or IEMs were used, though there are pictures. I'm guessing he didn't know about the 10 Ohm output impedance either, and his impressions are the result of using multi-BA IEMs with it. Who knows what was going on. Speaking of which...

No. Unpredictable changes to the frequency response of one's IEMs with a DAP is NOT what people desire.

So, customers with multi-BA IEMs have to find the FR of one's IEMs, reliably measured, and then do some calculations to guess whether they are going to respond favourably to the R6? No again.

I guess you missed the story of the AK100, sales of which tanked after people found out about the output impedance. They had to create the MKII version to fix it. Honestly, Hiby would be better off right now changing the board design before the first batch is produced, unless ...

If changing to zero-Ohms results in excessive hiss in some super-sensitive IEMs, then a design which is less noisy would be worth working on.

High OI was the main reason I gave up the R6. I want to choose a IEM and be sure it will sound as designed.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #897 of 6,627
High OI was the main reason I gave up the R6. I want to choose a IEM and be sure it will sound as designed.

Check out Custom Arts range of Fibae ciems (also available as universals if you ask nicely).

With regards to the playlist issue above all I can say is thank god I don't use them!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #898 of 6,627
Check out Custom Arts range of Fibae ciems (also available as universals if you ask nicely).

With regards to the playlist issue above all I can say is thank god I don't use them!

Didn't know Custom Arts are available as universals...good to know! Thanks!

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #899 of 6,627
@Notrix

“I find it equally amazing that people are still asking a small boutique company to add on additional software and other items to this offering.”

Where in my post did I say they need to “add-on” with the shipment of the Hiby R6? I clearly said “You guys at Hiby plan…..” meaning "future" ......focus on my words.
Hiby has already created an amazing music app and now one of the best DAP in the market so then why stop innovating? It’s not asking the world, it’s software.

it's not the end of the world if I ask Joe and the team at Hiby if they have considered management software.

Well you didn't exactly say you meant future either, hence you had to post a follow-up reply. Your post could've been easily been confused. I also thought you meant plan as in, planned on releasing it together with software which isn't a bad question either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back