HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #736 of 6,622
Hum... according to this review: https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-r6/4/ the Hiby R6 barely manages to sound as good as the Sony NW-ZX2 while being used over its balanced output and sounds much worse while used over its Single Ended output (meanwhile the ZX2 is strictly Single Ended), this doesn't come anywhere close to my requirements in terms of sound quality, especially as I replaced my own NW-ZX2 to the much better sounding (which blows it entirely away when used over the balanced output) NW-ZX300, then there is also the fact that they use 2.5mm plugs rather than the (now de facto JEITA standard) 4.4mm plugs for its balanced output, it seems to me that a much better compromise is to use the NW-ZX300 USB-DAC feature or a DAC such as the PHA-2A along with an android cell phone if one expects to run streaming apps such as Tidal, sure it's not as compact but I carry both my phone and DAP with me at all time anyway, this way I would benefit from both the Android features and the much better sound quality provided by the NW-ZX300 (if you need a reference, its sound signature almost if not exactly identical to the NW-WM1A), it would also allow me to keep using my balanced headphones without having to purchase/use a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter.

If Hibby wants me as a costumer, it'll have to do much better, a snappy Android interface and a nice build quality aren't everything to a Digital Audio Player.

Let's not get too hyperbolic here. I didn't read the review as concluding that the Sony was "much better". Different sigs as between most DAPs. But not "much better".

Thanks @twister6 for your early thoughts. Esp on the IEMatch. Keep em coming!

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #737 of 6,622
Sony ZX2 was stated as more coherent, controlled and warmer. R6 more dynamic and with slight more resolution balanced. So, I think that they are at the same level. The only player compared that are clearly above R6 by the reviewers is iBasso DX200. But I still wanna know how R6 compare against AK70mkII.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #738 of 6,622
Hum... according to this review: https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-r6/4/ the Hiby R6 barely manages to sound as good as the Sony NW-ZX2 while being used over its balanced output and sounds much worse while used over its Single Ended output (meanwhile the ZX2 is strictly Single Ended), this doesn't come anywhere close to my requirements in terms of sound quality, especially as I replaced my own NW-ZX2 to the much better sounding (which blows it entirely away when used over the balanced output) NW-ZX300, then there is also the fact that they use 2.5mm plugs rather than the (now de facto JEITA standard) 4.4mm plugs for its balanced output, it seems to me that a much better compromise is to use the NW-ZX300 USB-DAC feature or a DAC such as the PHA-2A along with an android cell phone if one expects to run streaming apps such as Tidal, sure it's not as compact but I carry both my phone and DAP with me at all time anyway, this way I would benefit from both the Android features and the much better sound quality provided by the NW-ZX300 (if you need a reference, its sound signature almost if not exactly identical to the NW-WM1A), it would also allow me to keep using my balanced headphones without having to purchase/use a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter.

If Hibby wants me as a costumer, it'll have to do much better, a snappy Android interface and a nice build quality aren't everything to a Digital Audio Player.
Hi, thanks for reading my review.

Well, Sony ZX2 is still a hell of a DAP. So if a DAP can get very close for around 500-600$, that should be considered quite good in my opinion. Not to mention the overall snappy user experience like modern smartphones. Remember that the ZX2 was released with a 1200$ price.

Why underrate the ZX2? It's still better than many devices out there, in pure sound performance.

And also remember that, as a tradition, Sony has huge R&D capabilities and resources. That's why they did a fantastic job with the new WM1 series, and with ZX300 as you mentioned.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #740 of 6,622
Hang on a sec, bud. You are referring to Berkham (@Virtu Fortuna) review of R6 on Headfonia. That's an opinion of one reviewer. Then, you have Marcus (@marcusd) review on Headfonics. Chris (@Hawaiibadboy) has another review at Audioholikz. There will be more reviews, including mine when I get to it. You can't jump to a conclusion and blame a company for not delivering a product as you expected it because you read one person's opinion that he prefers one DAP over the other :wink: We all have subjective opinions and personal preferences.

I think the more opinions that roll in the better obviously. It blazes and other companies are going to HAVE TO consider upping their RAM if they want to capture a large niche that puts blazing phone speed as a priority along with great sound. Build quality is fantastic, fast, sounds great, has exceptional depth of adjustments not found on the rivals like the speed not found on rivals, those can be tested and counted while sonic interpretations will always be pure opinion.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #741 of 6,622
I think the more opinions that roll in the better obviously. It blazes and other companies are going to HAVE TO consider upping their RAM if they want to capture a large niche that puts blazing phone speed as a priority along with great sound. Build quality is fantastic, fast, sounds great, has exceptional depth of adjustments not found on the rivals like the speed not found on rivals, those can be tested and counted while sonic interpretations will always be pure opinion.

I think we both still use Note 4, right? My phone feels slow in comparison now :frowning2:

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #743 of 6,622
@Joe Bloggs : I'm curious too about the question asked by Mezzi
I'm hoping @Joe Bloggs gives a straight answer this time vs a politician type "Don't worry, it will be produced and shipped" type answer.

My suspicion is that in a worst case scenario the R6's don't get made and sent to the backers, we're out that $500
The responsible answer would be.

"Yes, in the event that we can't fulfill the order, you will recieve a refund"

But we'll see if Joe actually answers or skirts around the question.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #744 of 6,622
I'm hoping @Joe Bloggs gives a straight answer this time vs a politician type "Don't worry, it will be produced and shipped" type answer.

My suspicion is that in a worst case scenario the R6's don't get made and sent to the backers, we're out that $500
The responsible answer would be.

"Yes, in the event that we can't fulfill the order, you will recieve a refund"

But we'll see if Joe actually answers or skirts around the question.

I would give them a benefit of a doubt. Hiby been around for many years, writing fw/sw for FiiO, Cayin, Shanling, Questyle, Hidizs and others. I mean, those are all well known DAP manufacturers who are relying 100% on Hiby firmware and software to sell their products (for years). Cayin and Shanling also had exclusivity of HibyLink pair ups with smartphones and Hiby music app, also another popular product.

Yeah, there are plenty of shaddy crowdfunding companies who came out of nowhere, trying to get your money to turn their drawning board concept into a reality. Here, you have something totally different. A company with a name and an experience and many parnerships, where IMHO they are probably using crowdfunding just to get more exposure. So, I wouldn't worry about it, especially since they have a finished working product which is in hands of reviewers and have been presented at different shows already.

Btw, Joe mentioned in one of the earlier posts he is at CES now, with HIby.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #745 of 6,622
I would give them a benefit of a doubt. Hiby been around for many years, writing fw/sw for FiiO, Cayin, Shanling, Questyle, Hidizs and others. I mean, those are all well known DAP manufacturers who are relying 100% on Hiby firmware and software to sell their products (for years). Cayin and Shanling also had exclusivity of HibyLink pair ups with smartphones and Hiby music app, also another popular product.

Yeah, there are plenty of shaddy crowdfunding companies who came out of nowhere, trying to get your money to turn their drawning board concept into a reality. Here, you have something totally different. A company with a name and an experience and many parnerships, where IMHO they are probably using crowdfunding just to get more exposure. So, I wouldn't worry about it, especially since they have a finished working product which is in hands of reviewers and have been presented at different shows already.

Btw, Joe mentioned in one of the earlier posts he is at CES now, with HIby.

I certainly appreciate the history of Hiby and what they have done in the past but shelling out $500 certainly deserves a straight answer from Joe. In fact, everybody should know what would happen in a worst-case scenario.

It's really a simple question that certainly should have a simple answer.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #746 of 6,622
I certainly appreciate the history of Hiby and what they have done in the past but shelling out $500 certainly deserves a straight answer from Joe. In fact, everybody should know what would happen in a worst-case scenario.

It's really a simple question that certainly should have a simple answer.

Well, you already said it yourself. Worst case scenario would be that you lost your $500. What other answer were you looking for? It's IGG and with any other crowdfunded site, it's a gamble. Not sure what you're trying to get at. If you want to back it, back it, if not then pay the full price later on.

It's a simple question that certainly has a simple obvious answer.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #747 of 6,622
CES.. yummy but thats on the 7th right?

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #748 of 6,622
Well, you already said it yourself. Worst case scenario would be that you lost your $500. What other answer were you looking for? It's IGG and with any other crowdfunded site, it's a gamble. Not sure what you're trying to get at. If you want to back it, back it, if not then pay the full price later on.

It's a simple question that certainly has a simple obvious answer.

That's what I'm thinking too but that's not the case for all Indiegogo campaigns, some of them actually offer refunds for non-delivery so I want to know what the policy of this campaign is. So without Joe's response, it's not quite an obvious answer is it?

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #749 of 6,622
It is obvious. You asked for worst case. Every single crowdfunding's worst case is lost money. Even if he promises money back, there's nothing on IGG that guarantees that. What does his word matter to you. It's not like you can use his "promise" to get your money back via credit card dispute (see Trinity Audio threads) it doesn't work. Again, it's good practice to assume that the worst case is that you lost your money.

I've been promised a refund before on KS (again see Trinity Audio threads) but because these sites don't have anything in place to guarantee money back, I lost my money. But, as upset as i was, I took the gamble and lost.

Fortunately for us, this gamble is favorable one given that Hiby a reputable company in these forums.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #750 of 6,622
Ok, someone asked me if OI of R6 has any influence on pair up with 16 ohm Senns IE800S dynamic driver iems. Just tested it (3.5mm HO) and it sounds as good as from any other DAP. As a matter of fact, with iEMatch in series it sounds nearly the same, except in this pair up I actually prefer it directly from R6 because iEMatch takes some sparkle off the treble.

hiby_r6_ie800s-x1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back