HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,946 of 6,628
I have not had one issue with the R6 or R3. Both updated F/W successfully. Tidal plus smooth on both players. Very satisfied. Wish I had hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy things. Lol.

Good to hear. Hopefully they continue to be awesome for a long time to come. Regarding the R6, do you have an Aluminum or SS unit? An early batch unit from the first build house, or later unit/2nd batch from the new, higher-capacity build house?

And regarding "hundreds of thousands of dollars", I meant that collectively as a DAP-purchasing community (just here on Head-Fi) we have together spent that amount with the DAP manufacturers. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #3,947 of 6,628
Thx for the reply. I saw that also and while it does change the order the tracks play it is not putting them in the proper order. I doubled checked the tags (tagged in media monkey) and they seem to be correct. I can’t believe this is actually an issue.

EDIT: The problem actually turned out to be with Media Monkey. Media Monkey says the tags are correct but they must not be. I re-tagged a few albums from scratch with Tag&Rename and it fixed the problem! Thx!!

From what I remember reading about MM, the tags done in MM only work in MM (which seems a bit pointless, but there you go!).

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #3,948 of 6,628
Good to hear. Hopefully they continue to be awesome for a long time to come. Regarding the R6, do you have an Aluminum or SS unit? An early batch unit from the first build house, or later unit/2nd batch from the new, higher-capacity build house?

And regarding "hundreds of thousands of dollars", I meant that collectively as a DAP-purchasing community (just here on Head-Fi) we have together spent that amount with the DAP manufacturers. :wink:
I have Silver SS model. I know that,, I was just being sarcastic, no offense.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,949 of 6,628
Having the strange problem with Tidal: it can't play when Hi-Fi quality is selected. It starts to play only after the following workaround: downgrade quality, start playback, raise quality to Hi-Fi. Spotify and Deezer are playing without any issues. Any ideas? Using the latest 2.7.1 app version.

Also, I noticed that it works very crappy with my 5Ghz WiFi, the connection is dropped very often and very unstable. 2.4Ghz WiFi is better, but still not so far from the perfect.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,950 of 6,628
Hey everyone. I've been a lurker for a while consuming a ton of info here, but finally taking the plunge in signing up and posting.
I just got a Hiby R6 this weekend, upgrading from a Cayin N5ii that i passed on to my teenager (get them while they're young).
Primary IEM's are Campfire Andromeda, Shure SE535, and new Westone UM Pro 10 (just replaced old version with newer version)
For the R6, i also picked up IEMatch.

I have a few questions that i'd appreciate thoughts/feedback on if you're able to help.

My Hiby R6 seems to overheat fairly fast, and definitely gets somewhere between Hot and very hot after a few hours of use. Is that expected/normal? I don't recall my N5ii having the same issue. If it matters, this is using SE 3.5m outpout, not balanced output.

Lyrics - will randomly show up in foreign languages vs english (for a song sung in english)

Album Covers & Artist Pictures : I have no idea what's going on here .... But all my artists, albums and tracks display the correct art in music bee. Hibby seems to do some weird stuff when it tries to find/change album art. Does anyone have good recommendations on how you manage proper cover art and lyrics from your library on PC to the stuff you eventually put on SD cards?

For Andromeda owners: I've been going back and forth yesterday on the IEMatch vs direct option. I might need more time, but the huge drop in volume on ultra, marginal improvement on high makes me wonder if it's really worth inserting the IEMatch in front of the andro's. Yes there's some improvement to SQ, but to me at this point doesn't seem huge enough to warrant the loss of volume. I've been messing with the EQ curve to try to offset some of the OI mismatch and it seems like some of it can be tamed (eg minor sibiliance on the highs) . would love to hear more thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,951 of 6,628
My Hiby R6 seems to overheat fairly fast, and definitely gets somewhere between Hot and very hot after a few hours of use. Is that expected/normal? I don't recall my N5ii having the same issue. If it matters, this is using SE 3.5m outpout, not balanced output.

Welcome reety !

IMO, R6 will get warmer but not 'too hot'. Besides balanced and unbalanced, it is also depends on the music type, eg. higher resolution 24-bit 192kHz file is warmer than 16-bit 44.1kHz.,

Lyrics - will randomly show up in foreign languages vs english (for a song sung in english)

You can swipe right until you get the right lyric, but sometimes, these lyrics are irrelevant, unless you copy the lyric file format from elsewhere and drop to the music directory (Music/Artist/Album).

Album Covers & Artist Pictures : I have no idea what's going on here .... But all my artists, albums and tracks display the correct art in music bee. Hibby seems to do some weird stuff when it tries to find/change album art. Does anyone have good recommendations on how you manage proper cover art and lyrics from your library on PC to the stuff you eventually put on SD cards?

Normally I will copy cover.jpg file of album cover and drop it at respective music directory (Music/Artist/Album), this is easier way without using software to embed the album art.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #3,952 of 6,628
From what I remember reading about MM, the tags done in MM only work in MM (which seems a bit pointless, but there you go!).

Interesting. I have used MM extensively in the past to either rip, convert, or update ID3 Tags & add embedded album art and have never had any issues with those files when used across all of my different playback devices. I wonder if it is a strange, random setting in MM (there are lots of settings)? I'll have to look in MM and see if there are any settings related to ID3 Tag compatibility. There are two main but different & unrelated versions of ID3 Tags...ID3v1, ID3v2, and also ID3v1.1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

I know that MediaMonkey would always want to use a single digit for the Track Numbers below #10, and I would always change them to a two digit number, i.e. I would change Track #1 to Track #01, and so on, up to #09.

I mostly ripped or converted my files to uncompressed FLAC format if that matters, but occasionally would convert to 320 kbps CBR MP3 as well.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #3,953 of 6,628

Normally I will copy cover.jpg file of album cover and drop it at respective music directory (Music/Artist/Album), this is easier way without using software to embed the album art.

In addition, IIRC, the R6 does not like 4-letter file extensions...

IOW, "cover.jpg" works properly, but "cover.jpeg" does not.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,954 of 6,628
thanks for the answers!

For artwork they're all embedded i'll give the .jpg option a try and see if that works.

On the heating, i tried again for 5-6 hours repeat single track, FLAC/16bit/44KHZ/991kbps and ended up with a similar result from a heat standpoint.
That's with the (terrible) soft plastic case that came with the R6.

some of the key reasons (sq excluded) i picked an R6 were USB-C, form factor (weight/size), and quality/speed/responsiveness of UI/UX (as a comparison the cayin n5ii was horribly frustrating)
The heat issue is concerning (impact to durability of battery life) and i'm wondering if i should return it and consider something like a dx 200 :/

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,955 of 6,628
Regarding temperature rise. I’ve noticed my R6 gets warm, especially the end of the device with the headphone connections. My AK120ii also gets warm without any apparent problem to the battery. My R6 is the stainless body and stainless is worse than aluminum for thermal conductivity.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #3,956 of 6,628
Does anyone know if the R6 will run Roon?

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #3,957 of 6,628
Regarding temperature rise. I’ve noticed my R6 gets warm, especially the end of the device with the headphone connections. My AK120ii also gets warm without any apparent problem to the battery. My R6 is the stainless body and stainless is worse than aluminum for thermal conductivity.
Said before it's normally android that's the culprit. I've had Cayin, Fiio and now Hiby and they all get warm to some extent. The only one that didn't was the pioneer xdp 100.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #3,958 of 6,628
Said before it's normally android that's the culprit. I've had Cayin, Fiio and now Hiby and they all get warm to some extent. The only one that didn't was the pioneer xdp 100.

Should mention that I’m using the balanced output which probably doubles the heat generated by the analogue (audio) components in addition to the CPU

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3,959 of 6,628

compared to the N5ii with the exact same file and IEM's there's a substantial temp difference. I've also rarely had temp issues with android devices except for gpu intensive use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back