HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 19, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #3,271 of 6,622
Any differences re the sound after the update?

May 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #3,272 of 6,622
My problem is more one of stable connection than downright speed. Once connected it's fine, but it's staying connected that's the issue. As I don't use wifi much (I bought the unit to listen to files at work where no wifi is available anyway) I'm not that fussed, but disappointed. I've had a fiio x5-III, various ipod touches, an ipad, sonos and pioneer all connect to the same network without issue so this was a bit of an unwelcome surprise. That said I've been running the unit all week at work without major issue (I did have one scary moment where the volume went nuts but that was because my headphone jack wasn't plugged in all the way!) and liking what I've heard. Been running them with a lowly westone um1.
Exactly. The problem is mainly the poor range. if I stay in the room where my access point is mounted without moving, there is no issue and download speeds are excellent.

May 19, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,273 of 6,622
As you already know the buds make a big difference. I'm using Fiio F9 pro's and they tuned to the upper end. A bit too far but the R6 has dropped that down a touch compared to the Fiio X5iii.

If you happy with your old setup then thats all you need :)

Bonus being a phone and all. One pocket.
Yeah the upper tuning I can accept, I think somewhere between the R6and V20 would be perfect but I accept both as they sound clear and crisp.

It’s mostly the bass tuning that I have an issue with. But I know many people prefer bass depth first and the speed, punch and decay after. I prioritze the latter slightly more.

V20 has adequate depth for me while retaining fast pacing and quick decay. Just love it really. Full sounding as is the R6 too down low.

But my R6 is a cool $509 so I think i’d rather have my money in my pocket and the V20 than go out and buy new gear to suit the R6 :)

May 19, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #3,274 of 6,622
Says I'm on the current update. 1.9G_20180518-1842

Not been notified that there was an update. Should the OS inform me if there was one?
That's the latest update. You're doing fine.
Try this for your album art:
1. Go to android settings-apps-HiByMusic and clear its data
2. Also use the file manager to delete the HiByMusic/AlbumArt directory on your device (assuming no music is stored there)
3. Start HiByMusic again and manually start a music scan (it will crash once because of all the data cleared; this is normal)
4. Once the scan is complete, go to the "albums" list (importantly, do NOT go to the Artists list) and scroll through all the albums on your device until all available album art are loaded.

Apparently all album art will load properly this way (and not e.g. if you start off by viewing albums under an artist). We're still figuring out why this happens and how to fix it.

Kudos to Ken Powers in the HiBy User Group facebook group for discovering this pattern.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 19, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,275 of 6,622
2. Also use the file manager to delete the HiByMusic/AlbumArt directory on your device (assuming no music is stored there)
3. Start HiByMusic again and manually start a music scan (it will crash once because of all the data cleared; this is normal)
4. Once the scan is complete, go to the "albums" list (importantly, do NOT go to the Artists list) and scroll through all the albums on your device until all available album art are loaded.

Apparently all album art will load properly this way (and not e.g. if you start off by viewing albums under an artist). We're still figuring out why this happens and how to fix it.

Kudos to Ken Powers in the HiBy User Group facebook group for discovering this pattern.

Yes thats sorted it out. Well done guys.

This Dap just get better and better.

One question.
Is it possible when choosing an artist it displays albums by default?
At the moment when selecting an artist it list all tracks for that artist.
I have to select the album view every time.
Be nice to say have a setting in settings that allows you to choose which mode is first shown when entering an artists section.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3,276 of 6,622
Yes thats sorted it out. Well done guys.

This Dap just get better and better.

One question.
Is it possible when choosing an artist that it displays albums by default?
At the moment when selecting an artist it list all tracks for that artist.
I have to select the album view every time.
Be nice to say have a setting in settings that allows you to choose which mode is first shown when entering an artists section.

We'll try to have the app remember your preference in a coming update.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #3,278 of 6,622
I've seen a little feedback on the thread, but could use a few more opinions. Most of my gear is desktop oriented and I steam Tidal through Roon for 99% of my music. My point, I only have a handful of local albums. My portable rig is a dedicated iPhone SE strapped to a Chord Mojo which is strapped to the Shure KSE1200 amp. I keep the iphone in airplane mode and have uninstalled every app except for Tidal. It sounds great. I am a big fan of the Chord sound and also own a Hugo 2, Dave and have owned a Hugo TT in the past but wouldn't mind slimming my stack back to two devices.

So my question, what kind of feedback can people provide regarding the sound quality of the R6 vs Mojo? If it's as good I'll go with R6. If it's a step in the wrong direction I'll stick with my three unit stack. The R6 is attractive as one of the only DAPs that supports Tidal offline but that is likely the only app I'll use.

May 19, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #3,280 of 6,622
R6 firmware update changelog
1. Added button deactivation options during lockscreen;
2. Added volume limit option;
3. Updated HiByMusic R6 professional version:
3.1 Added HiByLink server option in WiFi network (please update smartphone's HiByMusic to newest version);
3.2 Various bug fixes;
3.3 Added function to display image of any filename as album cover (as opposed to only cover.jpg or folder.jpg)

I'm hoping 3.3 in particular will fix some problems people have been having with album art. However there are other issues related to the album art display that I have been made aware of and that we are working on.

Volume limit is a welcome feature. It's very easy to slide the volume to the max. And the new firmware fixed the only 3 album arts not showing in the Hiby app.

May 19, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #3,281 of 6,622
Volume limit is a welcome feature. It's very easy to slide the volume to the max. And the new firmware fixed the only 3 album arts not showing in the Hiby app.
Volume limiter should be an essential feature on all high power daps...

It’s too easy to blast your ears off with one wrong swipe up after activating the volume button.

Either a limiter or a setting to turn off the volume swipe gestures would be good.

May 19, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3,283 of 6,622

This worked for me! So happy!

May 20, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #3,284 of 6,622
R6 firmware update changelog
1. Added button deactivation options during lockscreen;
2. Added volume limit option;
3. Updated HiByMusic R6 professional version:
3.1 Added HiByLink server option in WiFi network (please update smartphone's HiByMusic to newest version);
3.2 Various bug fixes;
3.3 Added function to display image of any filename as album cover (as opposed to only cover.jpg or folder.jpg)

I'm hoping 3.3 in particular will fix some problems people have been having with album art. However there are other issues related to the album art display that I have been made aware of and that we are working on.

Thanks for the update @Joe Bloggs, all my albums have covers now. Only one issue that I have now is the weak wifi signal even within 2meters of router range.

May 20, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #3,285 of 6,622
Thanks for the update @Joe Bloggs, all my albums have covers now. Only one issue that I have now is the weak wifi signal even within 2meters of router range.

Download and use "Wifi analyzer" pm me the results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back