HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 19, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3,256 of 6,622
Have decided to list my R6 in the FS thread. Great dap almost perfect except for the sound signature not being exactly to my liking.

Something to note though I tried many single dynamic earbuds and 1 dual driver of 12 ohm impendance and I noticed no ill effects from the high output impendance. Which was a relief for me at the time!

May 19, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,257 of 6,622
Have decided to list my R6 in the FS thread. Great dap almost perfect except for the sound signature not being exactly to my liking.

Something to note though I tried many single dynamic earbuds and 1 dual driver of 12 ohm impendance and I noticed no ill effects from the high output impendance. Which was a relief for me at the time!

What would you like changed about its signature?

DX150 sounds thicker and more beefy with AMP6 (the one it comes with)

May 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #3,258 of 6,622

What did you not like?

What app were you using?

May 19, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,259 of 6,622
What would you like changed about its signature?

DX150 sounds thicker and more beefy with AMP6 (the one it comes with)
Oh no I definitely find the R6 full sounding enough.

I don’t like the sub bass emphasis or maybe it’s the lack of mid bass emphasis. Either way I prefer punchy and tight bass than deeper more impactful sub bass for all bass oriented music.

I also think I’d like a something a little brighter in the mid, it’s just a touch favouring the low mids and bass and I rather the opposite, favouring slightly the upper mid and treble.

I prefer how my V20 is imaging and the sound presentation than Hiby R6 in SE. V20 has more upfront vocal and it FEELS more spartial in the background or further out sounds. R6 feels a little more focused on the depth of sound but less spacious/airy overall? It’s a little deep and heavy sounding. Again I just prefer how my V20 is portraying the sound, although it’s definitely not perfect.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #3,260 of 6,622
What did you not like?

What app were you using?
Spotify Premium.

See post above :)

I’ve discovered after testing this R6 and the Cayin N5ii that I actually really love everything about the V20 sound except the slight tendency for sharpness and a little funky peak in the upper mid-lower treble.

I have the non B&O v20 btw. If there is indeed a difference.

The V20 SQ is just addictive to my ears but the synergy with my brighter gear is just a touch too much sonewhere between upper mids-lower treble... a pity really because everything else is excellent IMO.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,261 of 6,622
I have a fiio x5iii, sony zx300, ipod touch 6th gen with fiio q5 and the r6. The latter two are my favourites for Spotify but the zx300 is amazing for non streaming purposes. Fiio x5iii has a nice sound but very slow for Spotify.

May 19, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,262 of 6,622
I noticed the Album art update via "wifi" will not switch off when selecting "off".
I tried it once and now will not switch off.
Having to clear cache.

Is this fixed in the update? OK checked it and it still updating even when set to off.

Also Album art is not fixed.
You have a problem reading track 1 of an album.
The rest of the tracks are ok.

When viewing Artists.
If only one track it does not show art.

Ok for everyone here there is an App for wireless updating.
I had no idea it was there :)

Hello Vimtoman,
If you discovered the update app for the first time just now you may need to update more than just once. As updates are incremental and must be all done in order. Try running the app again and see if it says you're on the latest firmware or not. (There is a toast from the system outside saying you updated to the latest firmware after each update but that's misleading. Wondering if there's a way to change that.)

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 19, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,263 of 6,622
I have a fiio x5iii, sony zx300, ipod touch 6th gen with fiio q5 and the r6. The latter two are my favourites for Spotify but the zx300 is amazing for non streaming purposes. Fiio x5iii has a nice sound but very slow for Spotify.
I had the X5iii and sold it to pledge for the R6.
The R6 is the better DAP (silent background) but its Wifi is really poor (at least with my unit). Definitely poorer than the already medirocre X5's reception, so bare this in mind if you're planning to use it for streaming.

I haven't decided yet but I'm more inclined in putting mine up for sale soon too....

May 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,264 of 6,622
I had the X5iii and sold it to pledge for the R6.
The R6 is the better DAP (silent background) but its Wifi is really poor (at least with my unit). Definitely poorer than the already medirocre X5's reception, so bare this in mind if you're planning to use it for streaming.

I haven't decided yet but I'm more inclined in putting mine up for sale soon too....

Would you consider sending it in for repair instead? I don't think this poor reception is normal and certainly don't want a possibly defective unit making its rounds forming several customers' opinions...

Pm me your Wifi analyzer results two meters from your router.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 19, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #3,265 of 6,622
I will Joe. Thanks.

Sound is great for my taste. No issues with SD also or anything else but Wifi is seriously subpar.
I have one of the newer Ubiquiti Access points in my living room which supports both 2.4 and 5Ghz (supports all protocols a/b/g/n/ac) and am only able to stay connected within a range of 4m max, practically when in the same room. I can't for example stay connected and stream from my NAS while lying in bed in my bedroom which was attainable with the X5iii.

I will send you a screenshot with the results both on 2.4 and 5 network but please keep in mind the results vary from time to time. Other times are good and others the signal drops to zero without obvious reason and the device gets disconnected.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,266 of 6,622
Hello Vimtoman,
If you discovered the update app for the first time just now you may need to update more than just once. As updates are incremental and must be all done in order. Try running the app again and see if it says you're on the latest firmware or not. (There is a toast from the system outside saying you updated to the latest firmware after each update but that's misleading. Wondering if there's a way to change that.)

Best regards,
Joe

Says I'm on the current update. 1.9G_20180518-1842

Not been notified that there was an update. Should the OS inform me if there was one?

May 19, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,267 of 6,622
The WiFi range is absolutely fine on mine. Downloads songs at extreme high quality on Spotify quickly a couple of rooms away from the hub.

May 19, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,268 of 6,622
Spotify Premium.

See post above :)

I’ve discovered after testing this R6 and the Cayin N5ii that I actually really love everything about the V20 sound except the slight tendency for sharpness and a little funky peak in the upper mid-lower treble.

I have the non B&O v20 btw. If there is indeed a difference.

The V20 SQ is just addictive to my ears but the synergy with my brighter gear is just a touch too much sonewhere between upper mids-lower treble... a pity really because everything else is excellent IMO.

As you already know the buds make a big difference. I'm using Fiio F9 pro's and they tuned to the upper end. A bit too far but the R6 has dropped that down a touch compared to the Fiio X5iii.

If you happy with your old setup then thats all you need :)

Bonus being a phone and all. One pocket.

May 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,270 of 6,622
My problem is more one of stable connection than downright speed. Once connected it's fine, but it's staying connected that's the issue. As I don't use wifi much (I bought the unit to listen to files at work where no wifi is available anyway) I'm not that fussed, but disappointed. I've had a fiio x5-III, various ipod touches, an ipad, sonos and pioneer all connect to the same network without issue so this was a bit of an unwelcome surprise. That said I've been running the unit all week at work without major issue (I did have one scary moment where the volume went nuts but that was because my headphone jack wasn't plugged in all the way!) and liking what I've heard. Been running them with a lowly westone um1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back