HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #1,861 of 1,971
Okay, maybe I’m missing something but I have an issue.

Isn’t the R6 2020 supposed to auto switch between balanced and single ended output depending on which kind of jack is plugged in? Because mine appears to be stuck in balanced mode. It shows the balanced icon in the header and it’s sending signal via the balanced output… but when I plug in a 3.5mm single ended set the system doesn’t switch on the single ended outputs. Either one of them OR via Bluetooth. It only wants to output balanced.

I’ve tried messing with the audio settings and found no relevant ones. I’ve done both a “menu” factory reset and a “recovery mode” reset. No joy. Single ended mode still won’t come on.

Anyone? Am I missing something here? It sure seems like I’m either missing a toggle or it’s a software issue. I’m at a dead end.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #1,862 of 1,971
Okay, maybe I’m missing something but I have an issue.

Isn’t the R6 2020 supposed to auto switch between balanced and single ended output depending on which kind of jack is plugged in? Because mine appears to be stuck in balanced mode. It shows the balanced icon in the header and it’s sending signal via the balanced output… but when I plug in a 3.5mm single ended set the system doesn’t switch on the single ended outputs. Either one of them OR via Bluetooth. It only wants to output balanced.

I’ve tried messing with the audio settings and found no relevant ones. I’ve done both a “menu” factory reset and a “recovery mode” reset. No joy. Single ended mode still won’t come on.

Anyone? Am I missing something here? It sure seems like I’m either missing a toggle or it’s a software issue. I’m at a dead end.
Has it always been this way for you or?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #1,864 of 1,971
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #1,865 of 1,971
I've never notice a balanced logo, only a logo for line out or headphone...

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #1,866 of 1,971
The last version of Amazon Music (22.14.4) has compatibility problems with the HiBy R6, because Dolby Atmos songs can be played as if the R6 had Dolby! However, many 24 bit / 48 kHz songs are played only at 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. I have tried to downgrade to older versions (17.15.6 as it seems to work on the R5) and most songs are upsampled at 192 kHz! Anyone can help me? Thanks 👍🏻

Amazon's Dolby Atmos doesn't require an Atmos compatible device as it's done in the mix, rather than decoded at the DAP. I'm not aware of any Atmos compatible DAPs out there either. As far as bitrate, Amazon seems to be a bit unreliable at detecting the device capability but I believe that 192 kHz is the desired rate and Amazon does seem to upsample lower bitrate tracks. If you are using other music players, Amazon tends to use whatever the previously used bitrate that was in use so that's something to keep in mind. It's probably best to restart the DAP (or play something in 192 kHz) before starting the Amazon Music app.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,869 of 1,971
Well, crap. Looks like the jack is fried. HiBy says it needs a hardware repair. But I doubt they’ll offer that service to me gratis since I bought it second hand.

So, is HiBy my only option for a DAP that can bypass the Android downsample with Apple Music?

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,870 of 1,971
I ended up buying a new one since I know for sure that it can bypass Android resampling. With the 11:11 sale it was a decent price too.

And of course once I did that HiBy got back to me and offered to fix my broken one under warranty if I foot the shipping both ways back to their factory, even though I bought it second hand.

Mulling that. I may do it and flip the older one. Or I may just hold on to the broken one as a backup since the balanced output and Bluetooth work fine…

Either way, nice job, HiBy CS. They didn’t have to honor the warranty but they did. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,871 of 1,971
Hi all, could do with some guidance.

My R6 has stopped playing any audio through PO or Balanced headphone ports.

Audio is playing onscreen but I’m getting nothing.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,872 of 1,971
Hi all, could do with some guidance.

My R6 has stopped playing any audio through PO or Balanced headphone ports.

Audio is playing onscreen but I’m getting nothing.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
To add to this.

Bluetooth audio is fine but hiby player doesn’t seem able to read the track. It tries, then fast forwards through and jumps to the next track.

I’ve reset the device and checked for updates but this one is stumping me.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,873 of 1,971
To add to this.

Bluetooth audio is fine but hiby player doesn’t seem able to read the track. It tries, then fast forwards through and jumps to the next track.

Try a full reset in Android recovery mode:

While the device is powered on:
1. Press Power button and select Restart
2. When Restart starts, Press and hold the Skip Prev button (above Play button)

You will enter the screensaver for recovery mode, which looks like an Android lying on its back with its chest open, with the words "No command" underneath.

To enter Android Recovery mode:
1. Press and hold the power button
2. While holding the power button, press the Skip Prev button once again.

In there, use Volume wheel to navigate and power button to select. Run the following:
1. Wipe data/factory reset

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,874 of 1,971
To add to this.

Also, in addition to the above, are you playing files locally? On the internal storage or on an SD card? The skipping behavior suggests corrupted media to me, but that’s just a wild guess.

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,875 of 1,971
Also, in addition to the above, are you playing files locally? On the internal storage or on an SD card? The skipping behavior suggests corrupted media to me, but that’s just a wild guess.
Great shout damintoel but unfortunately that’s not fixed it.

In terms of the skipping, I’ve tried 3 different memory cards that have all been scanned ok but hiby player doesn’t like them. The cards themselves are fine and have worked previously on this device as well as my dx300.

I tried the FiiO player app and strangely that doesn’t skip.

The real issue here though is that I can’t get any audio from all 4 outputs. Tried 2 sets of buds on 3.5 and 4.4 jacks and it’s silent.

The only way to get audio is via a usb c/3.5mm dongle or via Bluetooth.

Im veering towards a hardware issue :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back