HiBy Digital M300 Android Digital Audio Player,"The Gen-Z Music Player" - Discussion thread
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #541 of 610
If you want to continue exploring RootLessJamesDSP capabilities, you may want to take a look at Shannon Pierce stuff at: https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-Listening-Set

The "BRIR" (Binaural Room Impulse Responses) were recorded from various rooms and studio (36 rooms total). You can load each one of these room / source directions in RJDSP convolver.

The headphones/IEM should be EQ'd to a diffuse-field target frequency target, which you can get from AutoEQ and load into RLJDSP as Arbitrary Response Equalizer (a text file of the "error relative to the target). Shannon Pierce also has diffuse-field EQs for a bunch of headphones that you can use as well if it matches what you're using.

@Joe Bloggs did the same thing for the XOE IEM with one BRIR (see: post #207 above).

This is amazing stuff, well worth spending listening time IMHO !!! :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:
Thanks!

And this is how it looks now with xoe iem

1000058617.jpg

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #542 of 610
I
The headphones/IEM should be EQ'd to a diffuse-field target frequency target, which you can get from AutoEQ and load into RLJDSP as Arbitrary Response Equalizer (a text file of the "error relative to the target). Shannon Pierce also has diffuse-field EQs for a bunch of headphones that you can use as well if it matches what you're using.

@Joe Bloggs did the same thing for the XOE IEM with one BRIR (see: post #207 above).

This is amazing stuff, well worth spending listening time IMHO !!! :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:
What's the significance of getting that diffused field Target frequency? Just seeing if I can understand these things!

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #543 of 610
If you want to continue exploring RootLessJamesDSP capabilities, you may want to take a look at Shannon Pierce stuff at: https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-Listening-Set

The "BRIR" (Binaural Room Impulse Responses) were recorded from various rooms and studio (36 rooms total). You can load each one of these room / source directions in RJDSP convolver.

not Error relative to the target, you would be looking for the opposite / negative of that, whatever that may be called.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #544 of 610
Small but annoying issue. Suddenly, the swipe ability has disappeared from the M300 keyboard despite enabling it in the settings. I type the album/song name in apple music search and without swipe gesture, it's annoying. It used to work, gone after couple of recent updates.

Unless i have messed it up otherwise. Anyone else facing this issue?
No one else facing this? Gawd don't know what messup I did with the settings!

And btw those who are wondering about m300's power, it drives my hd660s2 cans without any fuss and with enough volume remaining.

The multimodal Equalizer on jamesrootdsp with its custom eqs also work well with apple music. The metal EQ in particular is excellent along with the dynamics plugin .

So much to explore on here, esp with jamesrootlessdsp and associated stuff. Awesomeness.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #545 of 610
What's the significance of getting that diffused field Target frequency? Just seeing if I can understand these things!
My understanding is that would be how a “flat-measuring” speaker would sound to your ears. Because headphones & IEMs are presenting the sound differently and some of the room/speaker stimuli are missing, this diffuse field target is not what listeners typically prefer: it’ll be perceived as lacking bass and being too bright… hence the multiple other “targets” that have been developed for headphones & IEMs

In this particular case, since it is about simulating an actual room using RLJDSP convolver, starting from the “diffuse field target” makes sense. Like any “target”, it is a starting point… to EQ to your liking! And if you are like me, you may find that EQ is not easy—I easily “adjust” to one particular headphone as long as it’s not blatantly wrong. So good targets and good headphones/IEMs take me back to what good sound is.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #546 of 610
My understanding is that would be how a “flat-measuring” speaker would sound to your ears. Because headphones & IEMs are presenting the sound differently and some of the room/speaker stimuli are missing, this diffuse field target is not what listeners typically prefer: it’ll be perceived as lacking bass and being too bright… hence the multiple other “targets” that have been developed for headphones & IEMs

In this particular case, since it is about simulating an actual room using RLJDSP convolver, starting from the “diffuse field target” makes sense. Like any “target”, it is a starting point… to EQ to your liking! And if you are like me, you may find that EQ is not easy—I easily “adjust” to one particular headphone as long as it’s not blatantly wrong. So good targets and good headphones/IEMs take me back to what good sound is.
Thanks a ton! Yeah EQ doesn't come naturally to me. Been having lots of fun tweaking with different parameters on jamesrootdsp today.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #547 of 610
Thanks a ton! Yeah EQ doesn't come naturally to me. Been having lots of fun tweaking with different parameters on jamesrootdsp today.
As for EQ—a hot debate on Head-Fi… I already have way too many HP & IEMs and can’t stop buying new ones :ksc75smile:. I usually start by listening to them “as-is”, and then EQ to something like the Harman target (not trying to promote, but it is a good baseline for me) with the help of AutoEQ or something else. That’s my first comparison point.

I may also compare my favorite tracks with another HP/IEM EQ’d to the same target. A second comparison point on what are sometimes subtle differences… Always interesting to hear and explore!

From there, MSEB is a great way to further “explore” around (I wish the M300 had a system-wide MSEB + PEQ or GEQ + PEQ…).

RootlessJamesDSP for me is the advanced stuff…. It opens a whole universe of options. Complex, sure. But also very rewarding when you discover something new about reproducing music. It’s probably not intended for the M300 targeted users, but it just happens that the M300 shines with this kind of tools (because Android + CPU power…).

Really impressed by the M300 in the end. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #550 of 610
Latest firmware update 1.30_20240126-1851 seem to have ruined the sound for me. :triportsad:

Listening through streaming app like Apple Music it now sounds sharp "digital", cold and lifeless. And lost all dynamic range. No longer sounds engaging, musical, smooth, and warm that I used to enjoy.

HiBy music app seem to be unaffected and sounds ok, but since I do a lot of streaming this has rendered this DAP useless to me. It's no better than listening straight from my phone now...

@Joe Bloggs any way to revert back to previous firmware? I already tried performing factory reset but didn't help.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #551 of 610
HiBy Digital M300 boot.img & Fastboot ROM released.
HiBy Digital M300 has the Bootloader in the Unlocked state.:sweat_smile:
boot.img & Fastboot ROM Download (GitHub Pages)

IMG_20240330_180254.jpg

Magisk patched boot.img included.
Please someone else thread or explain how to use this.

Also, I'm Japanese, so forgive me if I don't speak English very well...:bow:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #555 of 610

Users who are viewing this thread

Back