HiBy Digital M300 Android Digital Audio Player,"The Gen-Z Music Player" - Discussion thread
Apr 1, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #556 of 612
Latest firmware update 1.30_20240126-1851 seem to have ruined the sound for me. :triportsad:

Listening through streaming app like Apple Music it now sounds sharp "digital", cold and lifeless. And lost all dynamic range. No longer sounds engaging, musical, smooth, and warm that I used to enjoy.

HiBy music app seem to be unaffected and sounds ok, but since I do a lot of streaming this has rendered this DAP useless to me. It's no better than listening straight from my phone now...

@Joe Bloggs any way to revert back to previous firmware? I already tried performing factory reset but didn't help.
Did you have any audio modifications installed? Or, were you listening to e.g. Dolby Atmos on Apple Music?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #558 of 612
How long does the Bluetooth playback last on battery?
As the large memory smartphones are fricking expensive and almost no interesting options has microSD slot, I consider getting M300 as my music source, with jack backup if I would like to return to wired IEM.
I mostly listen to my files (standard 16/44.1 FLAC files), LDAC with my Technics EAH-AZ80.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #559 of 612
How long does the Bluetooth playback last on battery?
As the large memory smartphones are fricking expensive and almost no interesting options has microSD slot, I consider getting M300 as my music source, with jack backup if I would like to return to wired IEM.
I mostly listen to my files (standard 16/44.1 FLAC files), LDAC with my Technics EAH-AZ80.
Just used for 7 hours with aptX Adaptve sending a mix of files up to DSD. It had 35% left. Hope that helps.
FYI, it played really nice with the AZ~80s when I listened.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #561 of 612
Latest firmware update 1.30_20240126-1851 seem to have ruined the sound for me. :triportsad:

Listening through streaming app like Apple Music it now sounds sharp "digital", cold and lifeless. And lost all dynamic range. No longer sounds engaging, musical, smooth, and warm that I used to enjoy.

HiBy music app seem to be unaffected and sounds ok, but since I do a lot of streaming this has rendered this DAP useless to me. It's no better than listening straight from my phone now...

@Joe Bloggs any way to revert back to previous firmware? I already tried performing factory reset but didn't help.
Hmmm strange. I haven't noticed that tilt away from smoothness and warmth. Same update.
Any fiddling with the rootlessjamesdsp, if you have one installed, was done?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #563 of 612
Hmmm strange. I haven't noticed that tilt away from smoothness and warmth. Same update.
Any fiddling with the rootlessjamesdsp, if you have one installed, was done?
Nope didn't try the rootlessjamesdsp. I was pretty happy with the sound prior to the update. Didn't feel the need to mess with it.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #564 of 612
Nope didn't try the rootlessjamesdsp. I was pretty happy with the sound prior to the update. Didn't feel the need to mess with it.
Hmmm okay. This time perhaps sillier suggestion: can you change iem ear tips and try? It happened with me once before -/not on M300 but fc6 DAC which usually offers a lovely full bodied musical sound-/. Think my ear tip wore out. Change helped.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #565 of 612
I purchased another M300 while I was waiting for a solution...

The newer M300 has older firmware installed version 1.20_20231212-1639 and I can confirm it sounds just as good as my old one prior to the latest firmware update. The punchy and engaging feeling (soul) to the music is back.

So this confirms my findings...I wanted to believe it was placebo at first but something similar also happened with my Sony Walkman.

This is why I never recommend running software update if you are happy with the current sound of the device. Unless there is a way to rollback the changes. Also, would be nice if there's a way to turn off automatic checking for update.

I will be returning the older M300.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #566 of 612

The newer M300 has older firmware installed version 1.20_20231212-1639 and I can confirm it sounds just as good as my old one prior to the latest firmware update. The punchy and engaging feeling (soul) to the music is back.

So this confirms my findings...I wanted to believe it was placebo at first but something similar also happened with my Sony Walkman.

This is why I never recommend running software update if you are happy with the current sound of the device. Unless there is a way to rollback the changes. Also, would be nice if there's a way to turn off automatic checking for update.

Very interesting!

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #567 of 612

Let me work remotely and I'll make a way for you to roll back.
If you know how to use DSU, I can teach you.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #569 of 612
Let me work remotely and I'll make a way for you to roll back.
If you know how to use DSU, I can teach you.
Your review of the M300 and the boot.img/fastboot Rom was the deciding factor in my purchase of the M300, thank you very much.

I purchased the M300 and am waiting for it to ship.
Since Hiby doesn't offer previous firmware directly, I think I need a backup of the previous version.
Can you help me with this when my M300 arrives? (If I receive that with a 1.2 or lower version...)
I don't know how to use the DSU, but I know how to do simple things like unlocking the bootloader, rooting, and installing GSI.

@Joe Bloggs Or can Hiby provide me with older firmware (from the very first version)?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #570 of 612
Your review of the M300 and the boot.img/fastboot Rom was the deciding factor in my purchase of the M300, thank you very much.

I purchased the M300 and am waiting for it to ship.
Since Hiby doesn't offer previous firmware directly, I think I need a backup of the previous version.
Can you help me with this when my M300 arrives? (If I receive that with a 1.2 or lower version...)
I don't know how to use the DSU, but I know how to do simple things like unlocking the bootloader, rooting, and installing GSI.

@Joe Bloggs Or can Hiby provide me with older firmware (from the very first version)?
okay.
This DAP will be the one that BLU has already done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back