HiBy Digital M300 Android Digital Audio Player,"The Gen-Z Music Player" - Discussion thread
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #587 of 612
I think it's important to set the right expectations for this DAP. For high efficient single DD, I think this will drive perfectly fine. But if you try to drive planar you might be disappointed. I'm not talking about loudness but control, punch, and dynamic impact. I tested a few different IEMs last night including some hybrid/tribrid and it sounded flat and lifeless. Ended up just sticking with my IE300 and I'm perfectly fine with that.
Sorry am fairly new to this, but was looking at the M300 for use with Moondrop Dusk which I am also interested in (With use of its DSP cable). Is what you wrote here of concern to me if I were to try use this combination?

Thanks if anyone can explain!

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #588 of 612
Sorry am fairly new to this, but was looking at the M300 for use with Moondrop Dusk which I am also interested in (With use of its DSP cable). Is what you wrote here of concern to me if I were to try use this combination?

As for the M300 audio output, one answer (not saying it’s the only answer!) is: it is built around a CS43131 DAC/Amp, and it will sound like any other dongle/DAP using that chip—great IMO.

As for Dusk, it uses 2x “micro-planars” (they look like BAs), so I don’t think @SemiAudiophile comments are entirely applicable. But I don’t have Dusk!

With the DSP cable, the M300 will behave like any other USB-C digital source: phone, tablet, PC… no impact IMHO.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #589 of 612
As for the M300 audio output, one answer (not saying it’s the only answer!) is: it is built around a CS43131 DAC/Amp, and it will sound like any other dongle/DAP using that chip—great IMO.

As for Dusk, it uses 2x “micro-planars” (they look like BAs), so I don’t think @SemiAudiophile comments are entirely applicable. But I don’t have Dusk!

With the DSP cable, the M300 will behave like any other USB-C digital source: phone, tablet, PC… no impact IMHO.

I don't recall seeing a definitive answer on USB SRC issues, exclusive mode, etc.

Maybe I missed it?

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #590 of 612
I don't recall seeing a definitive answer on USB SRC issues, exclusive mode, etc.

Maybe I missed it?
Hinted in multiple posts but with no “firm” confirmation from HiBy that I’m aware of: the only customization to the otherwise plain vanilla Android 13 on the M300 is a system-wide resampling to 24/192… instead of the standard 16/48.

Applications that bypass Android resampling (“exclusive mode”) should be able to do so on the M300; the M300 version of HiBy Music is not one of them.

Anyone with better info/understand can correct me :ksc75smile:

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #592 of 612

I have the B2 Dusk and that IEM requires a fair bit of power for it to sound its best. I run them balanced.

If you use DSP cable that bypasses the internal DAC/AMP of the M300 I believe. You might be ok with that but I'd still recommend something with a little more power to drive them with. YMMV.

You could go for something like the HiBy R3 II in the same price range (if you don't need streaming), which has balanced 4.4mm outs.

Or shoot for the new HiBy R4?...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #595 of 612
One thing I wanted to ask was is UAPP working well on the M300? I'm watching a video from mid February on Youtube of a user that says it stopped working with the M300. And I'm just curious if this was fixed at any point or if other people perhaps do not have problems with its functionality at all.
(For reference this video )

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #596 of 612
One thing I wanted to ask was is UAPP working well on the M300? I'm watching a video from mid February on Youtube of a user that says it stopped working with the M300. And I'm just curious if this was fixed at any point or if other people perhaps do not have problems with its functionality at all.
(For reference this video )

In my experience it’s still an issue so far. The good news is that UAPP devs seem to be pretty attentive and may fix the issue soon. As a workaround I’ve been using Fiio’s music app which I find to be pretty good.
That issue aside, I find this little player to be pretty remarkable and a very good value proposition. I am a big fan of the iBasso DC03 Pro and I’ve done some back and forth between this player and the iBasso dongle - they are identical sounding to my ears. Also, the player works seamlessly with Roon apps. I can set it up as a roon node and leave it in my pocket while exercising and control it with my phone. It works great with Roon Arc and Tidal as well. Compared to something like the Sony NW-A105 (sold it because of this player) it’s battery life and UI responsiveness is awesome. It also sounds much better and has a more powerful output.
I’ve used it with IEM’s like the 64 Audio U4s, Softears Studio 4 and different Etymotics like EVO and ER4XR and it sounds great and has more than enough power to drive them all.
This along with the small form factor make it, basically, perfect for my use case. However, I don’t subscribe to the cult of balanced especially as it relates to IEM’s so YMMV.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #597 of 612
In my experience it’s still an issue so far. The good news is that UAPP devs seem to be pretty attentive and may fix the issue soon. As a workaround I’ve been using Fiio’s music app which I find to be pretty good.
That issue aside, I find this little player to be pretty remarkable and a very good value proposition. I am a big fan of the iBasso DC03 Pro and I’ve done some back and forth between this player and the iBasso dongle - they are identical sounding to my ears. Also, the player works seamlessly with Roon apps. I can set it up as a roon node and leave it in my pocket while exercising and control it with my phone. It works great with Roon Arc and Tidal as well. Compared to something like the Sony NW-A105 (sold it because of this player) it’s battery life and UI responsiveness is awesome. It also sounds much better and has a more powerful output.
I’ve used it with IEM’s like the 64 Audio U4s, Softears Studio 4 and different Etymotics like EVO and ER4XR and it sounds great and has more than enough power to drive them all.
This along with the small form factor make it, basically, perfect for my use case. However, I don’t subscribe to the cult of balanced especially as it relates to IEM’s so YMMV.
Thanks for the reply. I've gone through and ordered it because it did indeed sounded like it would fit my requirements just perfectly. Very excited to receive it soon, reading your impressions. Hopefully the UAPP team can work on the problem, its weird that it was something that was not always there. I will have to try around with other players then, too.

Edit: I've mailed the UAPP team and they replied really fast. But they did say it is on Hiby to fix it. They said it happens on other apps too. Hopefully Hiby will do that then. I just think it is weird that it used to work, but now doesn't. I'm still excited for the M300 just hope they won't let this issue unsolved. How are they usually with this sort of thing? I don't know the company too well.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #598 of 612
Hello all.
@kesobie I just received the player which is really impressive. Nevertheless, there is a problem with it and thought to ask your view before returning it. From time to time the top half of the screen becomes unresponsive to touch gestures and the top drop down menu doesn’t work. If I lock and unlock the device then it works as normal. Any idea what might be causing this issue?
No worries to all. I returned mine for a refund.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #600 of 612
I could ask but it seems an odd request, a copy of the firmware that the device originally shipped with, and HiBy does not officially support rooting etc.

Still, I would love to look into the issue of changing Apple sound sometime but would have to see if the company has a free account I can use (I sure as heck ain't paying for one from what I've read)

In that period, where you replied to that apple music problem reported by an user, my device wasn't always with me.

So, I was very curious to check the sound now. Did you (or Apple) guys do something, update/tweak i missed? I am happy to report that the sound is fantastic! That warmth and musical! (via CCA trio and Aful P8). I just hope it remains this way!

1000067156.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back