Hey Guys, I need help in justifying my choice.
Apr 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

bryangww

Head-Fier
I initially wanted a pair of headphones because i saw the monster beats pros and thought they were awesome and imagined they would sound awesome. But after intense thread reading on head-fi. I realized that they werent that awesome afterall. So im considering getting the Audio Technica ESW9A smaller sized headphones because i love the look at reviews seem ok. I understand that they are 2 very different cans. But here's why I im still holding back. The pros cost about twice as much as the ESW9A's but i wouldnt mind paying double IF the sound quality of the Pros could match the ESW9A ,and pay more just for the brand and style of the pros. Could you guys let me know if the ESW9As are comfy, and if they'd be good for r&b style music. MASSIVE bass would not be required. But a good solid amount would be necessary. And I know many of u would reccomend many other headphones. But lets just say there were only these 2 to choose from. Disregarding price. Which should i go for and why? PS: Im a complete newbie and am very interested in the world of high end music. THANKS A MILLION PEOPLE.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 31
First, cross off completely any headphone from the Beat's line from your list.  Second, here are some suggestions for ya:

Audio-Technica PRO700MKII

Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 Ohm, DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD438, HD25-1

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-780, PRO900

A strong deep bass response as well as oustanding overall soundquality is what you'll find with all of these options, traits that would work well with your musical genre of choice.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 31

Did you even read the OP's entire post?

To be exact:

and pay more just for the brand and style of the pros.

Nothing wrong if you're a teenager and wanna get the pro's because all your friends have them. That's what teens do. You're not going to be in with the cool kids dangling a pair of LCD-2s around your neck.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 31
i know the Beats are despised here on head-fi, and i'm not saying they're any good, or good for the price....but i haven't heard them. and i wonder how many people who diss them have listened to them. are there any good "objective" reviews of them that anybody's found?

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 31
i know the Beats are despised here on head-fi, and i'm not saying they're any good, or good for the price....but i haven't heard them. and i wonder how many people who diss them have listened to them. are there any good "objective" reviews of them that anybody's found?

No, you won't find any objective reviews here on head-fi on any Beats/Bose/(insert anything mainstream that is readily available to the public) headphones.

I've only tried them a few times at Best Buy / Apple store. They were alright, pricey for their quality, but remember you're paying a premium for the brand and the coolness factor that goes with it. Since that is a factor for you, I think you'll like the Beats.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
Quote:

No, you won't find any objective reviews here on head-fi on any Beats/Bose/(insert anything mainstream that is readily available to the public) headphones.

I've only tried them a few times at Best Buy / Apple store. They were alright, pricey for their quality, but remember you're paying a premium for the brand and the coolness factor that goes with it. Since that is a factor for you, I think you'll like the Beats.

Grados are the coolest!!! Get Grados!!

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:

This is slightly OT for this thread, but the folks over at Headroom led by Tyll (while he was there) did a comparison of Noise-cancelling headphones and I was surprised to see that they actually really liked the Beats (they thought it had the best sound of any of the models they tried, including the oft-recommended Sennheiser PXC450).

First page of the article
Page on the Beats
Overall summary

Now, obviously this isn't to say that the Beats is going to be better than the AT (especially because FWIR active noise cancellation inherently comes with its own set of compromises), just that I don't think the line of headphones is necessarily an awful joke.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:
I initially wanted a pair of headphones because i saw the monster beats pros and thought they were awesome and imagined they would sound awesome. But after intense thread reading on head-fi. I realized that they werent that awesome afterall. So im considering getting the Audio Technica ESW9A smaller sized headphones because i love the look at reviews seem ok. I understand that they are 2 very different cans. But here's why I im still holding back. The pros cost about twice as much as the ESW9A's but i wouldnt mind paying double IF the sound quality of the Pros could match the ESW9A ,and pay more just for the brand and style of the pros. Could you guys let me know if the ESW9As are comfy, and if they'd be good for r&b style music. MASSIVE bass would not be required. But a good solid amount would be necessary. And I know many of u would reccomend many other headphones. But lets just say there were only these 2 to choose from. Disregarding price. Which should i go for and why? PS: Im a complete newbie and am very interested in the world of high end music. THANKS A MILLION PEOPLE.

Quote:

Did you even read the OP's entire post?

Did you read the OP's entire post?

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 31
Thanks for the responses guys. Just to clarify, i know there are better headphones than these 2. But im attracted to these two and dont want the headache of choosing between so many like what ive been doing for the past few days. So just between these 2, which would sound better and in what way? Costs aside. Thanks again

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 31
The thing is, that's subjective and if you're going to buy based solely off of the suggestions in this forum, stop wasting time considering the Beats.  Pretty sure they will never garner any overwhelming endorsement here unless it's over a different set of Beats! 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. Just to clarify, i know there are better headphones than these 2. But im attracted to these two and dont want the headache of choosing between so many like what ive been doing for the past few days. So just between these 2, which would sound better and in what way? Costs aside. Thanks again

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 31
If you want the Beats because of the look and mainstream recognition, buy them.  The ATs will sound better, but won't replace the feeling of spending a lot more money for brand recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back