help with RE0 or ER6
Aug 18, 2010 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ppau0822

100+ Head-Fier

[size=11.0pt]Hi guys,[/size]

[size=11.0pt]I'm looking for an earphone that is < 100. It should have good highs and nice smooth mids similar to the se 530s which I had before the cable broke. Instrument separation is a big plus and since I use it on the train a lot isolation is pretty important. I listen to western and Indian classical music. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]I have narrowed down my search to the RE0 and ER6, assuming I can get it and not the ER-6i which I heard has boosted bass for ipods. The RE0s have excellent reviews but they lack isolation. The ER6 have excellent isolation but I'm not sure how the sound compares to the RE0. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, cheers![/size]

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 11
Ortofon e-Q7 is among best. Price is high but well worth it. Best for classical music no doubt about it.
Radius DDM is another option, it is similar to IE8 but much smoother and best value earphones for the money.
You can get both in Australia at Wicked Digital.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507813/beginner-trying-to-decide-on-iem-re0-s4-er6i-rain

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 11
i'll say go with th RE0, they darn close to the SM3 in hights and detail but lack of the lows.
the only problem is the high OHM of the RE0, unless you got an portable amp if not i suggest the RE-ZERO

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
i'll say go with th RE0, they darn close to the SM3 in hights and detail but lack of the lows.
the only problem is the high OHM of the RE0, unless you got an portable amp if not i suggest the RE-ZERO

thanks, sounds like that would be ideal considering that i wont have a portable amp.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
thanks, sounds like that would be ideal considering that i wont have a portable amp.

My Walkman A828 drives the RE0s easily 12 / 30 and the ZEROs 9 / 30, you wont need an amp on your walkman.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Don't let the specs fool you, the RE0 is easily driven.  Isolation is good if you use the bi-flanges, though it still falls short of what etymotics provides. 

The general consensus is that the sound quality of the RE0 is superior, though preferences regarding fit and frequency response could sway you one way or the other.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Ety MC5s sound great and seem to be regarded by those who have heard both as very comparable in sound quality to the RE0, and nobody beats Etymotic for isolation. So that gives you another choice in this price range. I get the impression that they're destined to supplant the ER6 as Ety's entry-level model.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

[size=11.0pt]Hi guys,[/size]

[size=11.0pt]I'm looking for an earphone that is < 100. It should have good highs and nice smooth mids similar to the se 530s which I had before the cable broke. Instrument separation is a big plus and since I use it on the train a lot isolation is pretty important. I listen to western and Indian classical music. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]I have narrowed down my search to the RE0 and ER6, assuming I can get it and not the ER-6i which I heard has boosted bass for ipods. The RE0s have excellent reviews but they lack isolation. The ER6 have excellent isolation but I'm not sure how the sound compares to the RE0. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, cheers![/size]

i can vouch for the RE-zero's on the train with an iphone. the isolation is fine. i listen to podcasts/audiobooks while heading to work/home on the train/ferry/bus, and with ~80% volume, it's easy to just listen, fall asleep and miss a stop, etc. not notice the stops, etc. its not quite isolating enough to block out yelling or screaming toddlers, oncoming buses, or construction sites, sic. but with the music at mid volume, it's ambient distraction, easily ignored. especially the toddler factor. if i'm listening at "moderate" (likely high - 75-80%)  volume, i can't hear people, fan sounds, the TV, etc. which is what i'd consider isolation.

if i had to choose, i might take both on a plane trip for isolation, but i'd prefer the RE zero's for comfort.

as for SQ, the RE-zero is more neutral than the ER6i. while i can listen to pop music on both,the ER6i has a strong bright sound, there's excellent detail in treble, almost distinct guitar plucks, fingering on the ER6i. with the RE-zero, it's not pronounced - the sound is there, the separation/stage is not immediate or bearing, you can listen for a few hours without fatigue, i'll leave SQ to people who've owned other brands to exemplify the sound. and while the highs are often present, they roll off into the mid-range, more so with female pop and instrumental pop, where the bass and treble are compressed to be as loud as the vocals.

it is also not kind to medium bitrates, you will probably be able to pick up 160kbps mp3 and 128k aac recordings without trouble, 192kbps mp3 and 160k aac can also be picked out, but it's more subtle, and will take a while to distinguish. for decent VBR, there's no issue.

the only category which might be problematic, classical, since it's not trying to enhance the sound, it can sound unsatisfying. this can be a double-edged sword for earphones in general, i would imagine clear classical requires a crossover/ported driver to separate the instrumental range. pop/rock like coldplay / RHCP / radiohead is not bright, it's clear, layered and detailed, not quite spread out over the stereo soundstage -- with a senn. or UE sound, the staging would be noticeable, the ety, the vocals/separation would be pushing out, with the RE-ZERO, it's  just not impressionable. the sound is not super-bright, but it layers well, synth music you can distinguish layers, even on 80s music. pop music isn't trying to move your whole head, etc.

i don't have much in the way of indian pop or vocal to listen to, but orchestral/soundtracks work fine, it fits into the background. this is probably the best aspect of the sound for portable use, where earphones can try to fit the whole spectrum into a 6mm speaker, the RE-zero do well to roll the sound into a mid-range mix. the approach works.

i would at times prefer the UE 5-pro or the 10 triple-fi or the westone 2/3's, but the $500 pricetag makes that a distant acquisition, and the UE build quality can be atrocious (arguably all brands have bad models - but at $200+, warranty means more). then i consider the over-ear of custom/pro IEMs vs the easy normal insertion, the lack of fiddling with alternative buds/flanges/foam pads, etc. plus it's easy to buy/replace at $80-$110 locally.

from the RE-zero thread, apparently the sound is similar on the RE0 to the ZERO, the ZERO offeirng a bit more quality, but with an added balanced dongle to carry around. with the iphone though, although the length is not ideal, for not tangling the cords while in a pocket, the dongle turns out to be handy, IME, it's handy for wrapping the cords, but it is a nuisance the RE0 doesn't have. 

isolation compared to the ER6i (yeah...) is approximately 2/3, but there are less microphonics, and the ability to take out an earbud and replace it without the akward re-sealing is very appealing. while i could put in the ER6i's for a plane trip, after about 5 hours, it becomes physically irritating. the RE-0/Zero never becomes noticeable physically apart from the tug on the cord when turning my head and that's just with under-ear cabling, the er6i has the same issue there, but the wires are slightly thinner, they catch fairly easily 

TBH, i had my doubts in the first week, the RE- zeros really need to burn in, but i have no problems with them now, going back to the ER6i's, is not worth it.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 11
hey toliman thanks for that detailed reply. going with the RE-ZERO. i have the sure 530 tips and the IE8 tips. anyone know if they fit as well on the RE-ZERO and which ones are good?

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 11
just got my RE-ZEROs and i can say that they are every bit as amazing as i hoped for! thanks for the help people 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back