Help selecting a new set of headphones 100-300$ price range
Jan 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Flippant

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 pro headphones. I don't feel like I'm getting everything out of my music with them that I can (the source I'm using is a Teclast T-51). I've basically narrowed down my choices to 1 of 3 things.

Fischer Audio FA-003
Denon AH-D2000
Keep the Sennheiser headphones

I'm assuming the Fischer and Denon headphones are better than my current Sennheiser headphones.

Some things to keep in mind are that these headphones will need to cover a variety of genres, are not intended to be portable, and I won't be using an amp outside the one built-in to the T-51. Could anyone lend me some advice on my three options, or offer up a better choice?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 16
FA-003 is a neutral headphone. So I would go with those and they aren't very expensive. The denons are considered bass heavy so they don't fit what you said about listen to multiple genres.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 16
why do you not feel content with your senns?  Clearly the hd280 aren't 300 dollar cans, and if you like the signature of your hd280 then I see it as a safe bet to stick with sennheiser.  It really depends on the sound signature you are looking for.  I'd suggest sampling around in a few different stores to get a good idea of what you want, then go for the price range you feel comfortable with.

You will notice a obvious increase in sound quality with other seen models 558/598/600/650 and to my ears those all sound pretty nice on the occasions I've had the opportunity to listen to them.

The d2000 seems to be often recommended as an "all arounder" although I have no experience with it.

There's a lot to check out, and if you are looking for a different flavor you should just look around more and see what people are saying about different cans.  I guess if you are not using an amp, then, the 600 is out of the question imho.  You could check out some grados as well, they might suit you.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
A problem I'm having is being unable to find where I can actually buy a pair of the Fischer headphones

In Europe Frogbeats.com

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Have a look at the Sennheiser HD-600, or the AKG k272hd, from what i've heard of the Hd600s my uncle has, they are neutral and respond well over a range, and i love the AKGs

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 16
I would say no. They are pretty powerful. You would just be wasting them. My uncle has the little dot mkii which drives them nicely :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 16
you could probably runn the senn 5xx series alright without an amp.  I listened to some 558 recently out of an ipod and it sounded full enough, but I think the 558/598 would be a justifiable upgrade for use through a portable device.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
you could probably runn the senn 5xx series alright without an amp.  I listened to some 558 recently out of an ipod and it sounded full enough, but I think the 558/598 would be a justifiable upgrade for use through a portable device.

From what I understand, the Teclast T-51 provides quite a bit of power.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
From what I understand, the Teclast T-51 provides quite a bit of power.

ahhh I see.  I looked around and it seems like it has between 40-60mw output @ 32ohm which if true, is pretty impressive.  Nothing official that I can see though.  It seems to be recommended as a high output player though.  No idea how much power you need for the hd600 to shine, but it would be my guess that 50mw output would be enough.  It would certainly be enough for the 5xx series.  It's my guess that the hd600 would not be recommended due to its impedance of 300ohm.  I'd give a hard recommendation on the hd598 here for your purposes then :) if you've been enjoying your 280 and just want more.

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Any opinion on which specific 5xx I should grab? Or any other opinions in general?

5x5 or 5x8 ?

HD598 is the best actually, HD558 is also good but less detailled and more boomy. For example, i find 558 better than 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back