Help me find an IEM, as i am becoming an IEM: Internet Exploring Maniac
Jun 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Djchase

Head-Fier
Yes, the title is lame, but the purpose of the post isnt.
As suggested, i require help from my fellow Head-fi-ians, whether its merely a recommendation based on a hunch, or one based on trial and error.

I have spent COUNTLESS hours online researching what IEM would be best suited to my sound signature requirements, and up until today i wasnt completely sure of what that sound was....but now i am.

I purchased a C2, plugged in my SRH840s + e11 and went straight to the EQ settings and have come to this conclusion:

Lows: Even though i listen to predominately hip-hop, i dont require booming bass as the amp can add that if needed.
Mids: I love vocals, this would be the most important factor to me. Vocals need to be clear, inviting, detailed.
Highs: Instruments are also a high priority, i want to hear every piano key fade out before the next is struck, violins sounding intimate and clear..
Soundstage: the larger the soundstage, the more spacious and airy the sound the better.
Price: not Customs, or westone 4, shure se535 prices, under 200 ideal but 250 ok if recommended.

I am after a well detailed, clear, clean sound with great soundstage, that doesnt need to have booming bass, but some is better than none.

Thanks in advance, i need to buy a pair by the end of next week (AUS) as im going on holidays.
beyersmile.png

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 26
Anyone own/ed the RE262s and RE-ZERO?
from what i have read they seem to be ideal for my tastes.
is the 262s price justifiable over the zeros when it comes to overall sound quality?

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:
Anyone own/ed the RE262s and RE-ZERO?
from what i have read they seem to be ideal for my tastes.
is the 262s price justifiable over the zeros when it comes to overall sound quality?

Re-Zero, I think, were a special limited edition. Don't know availability. RE-0, on the other hand, are available. RE-0 are different than RE262 insofar as RE-0 being precise and neutral. They are less costly than both RE-Zero and RE262. I am enjoying RE262 and am considering the RE-0 for it's specific signature. RE262 shine with an amp, less so without.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 26
I have explored that thread, i am just finding it hard to differentiate between it genuinely being a goid product,or an over hyped one. It is of interest atm.

Im after a detailed, clear sound that has amazing vocals and instrument seperation with above average soundstage and imaging. Asking too much? Lol or is any of the following suitable.

GR07.....RE262....REZERO....WESTONE UM2....EPH100....any others

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 26
They are an earphone that keeps drawing my attention...
How would you personally describe the sound signature? If you dont mind me asking.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
I have explored that thread, i am just finding it hard to differentiate between it genuinely being a goid product,or an over hyped one. It is of interest atm.
Im after a detailed, clear sound that has amazing vocals and instrument seperation with above average soundstage and imaging. Asking too much? Lol or is any of the following suitable.
GR07.....RE262....REZERO....WESTONE UM2....EPH100....any others

they are very different indeed, you have to decide what signature to go for: warmer sound or analytical? we can't decide this for you
wink.gif
 everyone of course want good instrument separation,soundstage and clear sound don't you think? 
biggrin.gif

untill you have decided what to go for you'd better try something not too much expensive, in your list rezero and eph-100 are the cheapest and for the price of the GR07 you can buy them both
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 26
I agree to an extent, some people want big heavy bass, which would effect detail in the mids.
I think i want a hybrid iem, one that is detailed yet warm haha.

I may just havevto try a cheapie first, aslong as its detailed and airy i should be happy.

Anyone know how detailed/crisp the re262s are? I hav an amp i could use that has bass boost so lows arent too important to me.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 26
Maybe you can try ultimate ears triple.fi 10. They're quite big for earphones but I think they have good detail and separation. The only earphones I have that seem tohave a great soundstage.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 26
after 3 week of intense use i wrote this in the yamaha thread:

Sound: warm and crystalline, detailed and never tiring, deep basses always well defined and i will say, after the first impressions, even not so impacting but just enough to enjoy all music genres with no regrets and i think this is really important. 

enough? 
cool.gif
 (btw i had the same dilemma 
biggrin.gif
  check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/1245#post_8156772)

of course it was for metal but now that i have the EPH i'm actually enjoying more music genders 
beyersmile.png

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
I agree to an extent, some people want big heavy bass, which would effect detail in the mids.
I think i want a hybrid iem, one that is detailed yet warm haha.
I may just havevto try a cheapie first, aslong as its detailed and airy i should be happy.
Anyone know how detailed/crisp the re262s are? I hav an amp i could use that has bass boost so lows arent too important to me.

Djchase - this could be helpful. Long time Member ClieOS has written and been updating an especially informative and concise thread that could answer all of your concerns. IEM's are sorted by sound signature and by manufacturer/model. Use this to put together your new short list, then check out some more detailed reviews by doing search on this forum. Or maybe what you find in ClieOS's written work does the trick and you're all done.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-tdk-eb950-ba100-ba200-added-june-2nd-2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back