Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones!
Jul 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 27
I just realized I would be could be doing a lot of studying in a library in the upcoming future so the denon's are unfortunately out of the question.

Which would be the better option here:

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Shadow/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343680808&sr=1-1&keywords=V-Moda+M80

OR 

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343681411&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 27
It all comes down to whether or not you are OK with supra-aural headphones in general. I really like my M-80s, but I bought them knowing that I prefer circumaurals. I just can't listen to supra-aurals for very long because of the comfort (or lack of it), even though the M-80s are pretty comfortable for supra-aurals. What's more, I can't imagine getting much work done with supra-aurals: the entire time I would be distracted by the feeling of them on my ears. You really want something that you'll forget is even on your head, which is why circumaurals are much better for getting work done. And it's why I'll be selling my M-80s in order to fund M-100s (a circumaural version of the M-80s, with a number of additional improvements like better bass and SQ overall, dual cable entry, folding hinges) which should be out around September.

Don't get me wrong: maybe you're the type that is OK with supra-aurals in general, in which case the M-80s are great for you. I don't know how much more comfortable the Ultrasones will be, because I have heard that they aren't the most comfortable, but you can always stretch out tight clamping headphones to make them more comfortable. 

Have you looked at Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros at all? Very comfortable, isolate well, good bass. Only thing is you may need an amp for them.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
It all comes down to whether or not you are OK with supra-aural headphones in general. I really like my M-80s, but I bought them knowing that I prefer circumaurals. I just can't listen to supra-aurals for very long because of the comfort (or lack of it), even though the M-80s are pretty comfortable for supra-aurals. What's more, I can't imagine getting much work done with supra-aurals: the entire time I would be distracted by the feeling of them on my ears. You really want something that you'll forget is even on your head, which is why circumaurals are much better for getting work done. And it's why I'll be selling my M-80s in order to fund M-100s (a circumaural version of the M-80s, with a number of additional improvements like better bass and SQ overall, dual cable entry, folding hinges) which should be out around September.

Don't get me wrong: maybe you're the type that is OK with supra-aurals in general, in which case the M-80s are great for you. I don't know how much more comfortable the Ultrasones will be, because I have heard that they aren't the most comfortable, but you can always stretch out tight clamping headphones to make them more comfortable. 

Have you looked at Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros at all? Very comfortable, isolate well, good bass. Only thing is you may need an amp for them.

Yes, I was looking for a pair like that, where I'd completely forget they're on my head but still make sound like I'm at a live concert. How much will the M-100's drop for? Do you think it's worth waiting a couple months for them?

I wouldn't mind the Beyerdynamic DT770's but I just didn't want to carry an amp around to a library If I didn't need to.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
Yes, I was looking for a pair like that, where I'd completely forget they're on my head but still make sound like I'm at a live concert. How much will the M-100's drop for? Do you think it's worth waiting a couple months for them?

I wouldn't mind the Beyerdynamic DT770's but I just didn't want to carry an amp around to a library If I didn't need to.

The M-100s will be $300 (not speculation, it's set in stone). They should be out, at the latest, by mid September. Pre-production units should be available for limited sale sometime in the next 2 weeks, and then production should come not long after, so I'm thinking an early-mid September launch of the production units will happen.

I do think they will be worth the wait, since they are basically everything I like about my M-80s, plus more, and minus everything I don't like about the M-80s (primarily circumaural vs. supra-aural). The thing I like about them is that they are catered towards general consumer interests (very good looking, great build quality, short smartphone cables, easy to drive) but have a great audiophile-leaning sound. The problem with a lot of other brands is that they get the sound quality right, but because they are only concerned with reaching the small audiophile audience, their products don't offer everything a general consumer (read: Beats buyers) wants. They'll have bulky, massive 3 meter cables that can't be removed, they'll be difficult to drive, they'll be downright ugly because they are intended for studio use only, they'll clamp way too hard because isolation is given way too much precedence over comfort, the list of problems (for a general consumer) goes on and on. And even though I'm on this forum, I'm basically one of those general consumers except with better tastes and knowledge to work off of. If you're like me and aren't an actual audiophile, the M-100s are definitely worth waiting for. Not that real audiophiles won't be buying M-100s.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 27
I have to agree with UCLA15 ... if u like V-MODA...then just wait it out till M-100s are in the market.

The Ultrasones are really good too...PRO 750 / HFI 780 ... just review comfort on both...

So down to 3 :) Thats a good number...

Hv fun :)

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
I have the ATH-M50s with a fiio E17 amp/dac and the sound is amazing, you can get theM50s from amazon for 115.00, which is probaly your biggest bang for the buck.

Although I get your are trying to help, you really should not recommend until you have experience with more gear.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #24 of 27
These are very comfortable, all though your ears will get warm over time. As for the amp I believe anything with higher ohms(headphones) should be powered with a amp to bring it to its full potential. Most mp3 players are not strong enough also all you need is a amp not the dac unless your going to listen through your computer.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
These are very comfortable, all though your ears will get warm over time. As for the amp I believe anything with higher ohms(headphones) should be powered with a amp to bring it to its full potential. Most mp3 players are not strong enough also all you need is a amp not the dac unless your going to listen through your computer.

nice late response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back