Help me convince my parents to let me get CIEM's for Christmas?
Nov 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 32
Ive had many pairs of universals, but they were cheap, which is probably the cause of discomfort. I do have a vintage receiver (love it) and turntable that matches it. Ky current "portable" setup is mp3 player>XB500. So not very portable, but I got the cans from my friend for $20. If you guys can recommend very comfortable universals in the sub 100$ range, id be very appriciative. If you're asking about sound signature preferances, I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser HD series. Ive been looking at the Creative Aurvana 2 ($55~ on amazon), is this a good idea?:rolleyes:

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #17 of 32
Also, I REALLY appriciate (spellcheck?) all the support Head-Fi members give. Love ya

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 32
Also, most of the universals ive had that hurt had a wider bore than average? That might have caused it. Id mostly use earbuds at school, or on the go. I have a decent enough pair of cans at home :wink: sorry for so much posting, if you think this is broken up sounding, try talking to me IRL.....

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:
Ive had many pairs of universals, but they were cheap, which is probably the cause of discomfort. I do have a vintage receiver (love it) and turntable that matches it. Ky current "portable" setup is mp3 player>XB500. So not very portable, but I got the cans from my friend for $20. If you guys can recommend very comfortable universals in the sub 100$ range, id be very appriciative. If you're asking about sound signature preferances, I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser HD series. Ive been looking at the Creative Aurvana 2 ($55~ on amazon), is this a good idea?
rolleyes.gif

Take a look here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/guide-some-great-sounding-ear-monitors

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #20 of 32
Aurvana Live has good reviews.
Also Sennheiser HD239 is decent.

yeah, ive heard high praise from both, but I need a pair of in ears simply because of schedule and other stuff, like sneaking out of the house with them :wink:
These are what I meant to clarify: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Aurvana-2-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0037LQY7M

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:
yeah, ive heard high praise from both, but I need a pair of in ears simply because of schedule and other stuff, like sneaking out of the house with them
wink.gif

These are what I meant to clarify: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Aurvana-2-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0037LQY7M

Yep I realized, take a look at the link above^.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #22 of 32
Thanks! For some reason, I didn't see that before....

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 32
Any custom IEM company will need insane amount of acrylic if your username is any true, Jeff.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 32
Without any specific models listed for your past universals, I have to wonder if you say "universal IEM" but actually meant "earbuds". Because they're not the same. At all.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 32
Yeah, they were IEM's. I know the difference. IEM's go in your ear canal, earbuds just sorta rest in you ear.
These were my most recent pair. Sounded decent until I realized just how blown out the bass was. http://www.amazon.com/PureGear-36322PURE-Premium-Headset-Microphone/dp/B004X2623U

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #26 of 32
There's a huge gap between cheap bulky universals and customs. Ask Joker for a recommendation in your budget and sound preference. You have custom coolness on the brain and will get a short life from them at your age. You're not going about this in a very analytical way and perhaps it's a pattern that your parents have noticed. Something like a GR06 would be a nice stepping stone.

That said, If you want to get your way, just blast your speakers and offer in ears as a solution. 
ksc75smile.gif

Buying and returning stuff for giggles and curiosity makes the price go up for everybody and isn't fair to vendors. Take your time, do some good research and make a solid decision. If they don't work, return them but just throwing stuff at a wall until something sticks is a waste of time. If you're critical. there will only be a few things that fit your needs and they'll likely be covered here by Jocker and ClieOS review.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #27 of 32
Still curious as to why the universals have hurt so far. Comply or similar foam tip should fix that problem.

Also: customs are not necessarily more comfortable. Took a few months to get used to my first customs--and I never even had problems with universals.

But yeah, your ear canals are still going to change shape. Customs are a bad idea for that reason alone already.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #28 of 32
My dad just messaged me saying he'd been looking around, and said if I wanted, Grado SR80i's could be a possibility. Wat. I don't know how he found that, he sucks at finding info like that. I expected him to bring up beats. Idk. Maybe those, and the Aurvana inear-2's. Hmmm. Talk about white problems XD

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 32
Still curious as to why the universals have hurt so far. Comply or similar foam tip should fix that problem.

Also: customs are not necessarily more comfortable. Took a few months to get used to my first customs--and I never even had problems with universals.

But yeah, your ear canals are still going to change shape. Customs are a bad idea for that reason alone already.

Huh? Customs are supposed to be more comfortable, by design. If there is any pressure point, something has gone wrong, maybe the ear canal piece was too long?

I do have to agree with the last statement. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #30 of 32
Hey thanks for the reply, I'm not thinking about customs anymore, after I found my love, my Klipsch X10s. Absolutely no pair at all, super comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back