Help me choose headphones for gaming!! (xbox360 inside)
Aug 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thekeeper

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new here I hope you can help me, I'm getting mad^^:

Ok, I need to buy a headset to play with xbox360.

I've never used a headset so I'm really without knowledge about the all thing...

I can tell you for what I need it:

I play 3 hours everyday with xbox360 and I often chat through xboxlive with my friends while playing.
I'm not interested in wireless headset and not interested in lan chat, only through the live.
Now, most games that I play are FPS (halo, Call of duty, bad company) but I also play single player games like fallout, dragonage. I tell you this beacause I hope it can help in telling me the proper headset to use.

As amp I'll use the Astrogaming Mixamp.

I only want crystal clear sound (but also with basses if I need them) as possible and perfect positioning (for fps).

Oh, another problem is that I live in Europe so I don't find many headset which you (lucky guys) can find in the USA.

I made a list of possible headset which I can find but I don't know if they are compatible with mixamp, or which of them are better than the others...

Here we go:
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD595
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
AKG K701
Audio technica AD700

Now, I really don't understand much of the specifications etc (ohm, db..), so I'm asking you simply this:

Taking the Headset from the list above, can you make a little list of the 3 best for playing, telling me the goodness of each one? (oh, must be compatible with mixamp, even if I think that all are compatible).

For the mic, I don't find the: "Labtec LVA-7330 Microphone" here in Italy, so I can buy this: ZALMAN - ZM-MIC 1 Zalman Microphone, is it ok, or I have to order the labtech from the USA?

Please help me, I'm really getting mad, and Halo reach is coming....

Thank you, thank you so much!!

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Go for the AD700. They are brilliant for games, because of their incredible positioning. I use them for Bad Company 2 all the time, and they really do perform very well.

Go over to amazon, and check out the user pictures for the AD700. One of the reviews posted a picture of him wearing the AD700 with mic attached, just so you can see what it looks like.

If you would prefer to just buy a gaming headset with mic already installed, then go for it. Just whatever fits your criteria.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Go for the AD700. They are brilliant for games, because of their incredible positioning. I use them for Bad Company 2 all the time, and they really do perform very well.

Go over to amazon, and check out the user pictures for the AD700. One of the reviews posted a picture of him wearing the AD700 with mic attached, just so you can see what it looks like.

If you would prefer to just buy a gaming headset with mic already installed, then go for it. Just whatever fits your criteria.

Thank you for the speedy answer, just another little question, here in Italy i find the Ad700 like in this picture:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=pd_cp_e_3

not this:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Headphones-Diameter/dp/B0018NG7IW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282427140&sr=8-2

Are they the same?

I ask you this because Amazon don't ship these from USA to Italy :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 13
The first picture you showed was of the A700. They are Audio Technica's closed model.

The next picture you showed was of the AD700. The model with the "D" is Audio Technica's open model.

The AD700 sounds better than the A700 for sure. Although, the AD700 leaks sound, and the A700 doesn't.

Open headphones have the big advantage of great soundstage. This really helps in games, as it helps locate enemies better.

For some unknown reason, the AD700 are about $40 cheaper than the A700, even though the AD700 are generally better.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
The first picture you showed was of the A700. They are Audio Technica's closed model.

The next picture you showed was of the AD700. The model with the "D" is Audio Technica's open model.

The AD700 sounds better than the A700 for sure. Although, the AD700 leaks sound, and the A700 doesn't.

Open headphones have the big advantage of great soundstage. This really helps in games, as it helps locate enemies better.

For some unknown reason, the AD700 are about $40 cheaper than the A700, even though the AD700 are generally better.

Lol, you're right, ok I'll see if Ifind an AD700 in the U.k or France.

FOr the mic is the ZALMAN - ZM-MIC 1 Zalman Microphone good or I'll go for the labtech?

Thank you

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Do you have the usb xbox headset or the wireless headset?

I have ps3 and xbox.

for xbox I have the wired usb headset for chat and ATH-A900 headphones. I set the chat function output to my A900s and have the xbox headset (set still to input) around my neck. hard plastic hanging on back of neck-mic on the front, angled up to my mouth.

with ps3 wireless i have a double clip. also with team set for output through the headphones.input headset.this was taken before I got my A900s.

ps3headsetghetto-1.jpg

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Do you have the usb xbox headset or the wireless headset?

for xbox I have the wired usb headset for chat and ATH-A900 headphones. I set the chat function output to my A900s and have the xbox headset (set still to input) around my neck. hard plastic hanging on back of neck-mic on the front, angled up to my mouth.

I own the headset that comes with the console, the wired one (mine is not usb, it has the mic jack which has to be plugged in the pad, maybe here in Italy we're not so "forward" ehehe).

I'ts really a great idea, I'll try for sure!!

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 13
If you're just starting out with headphone gaming, I honestly believe you should start out with the Tritton AX720 for $130. It comes with a headset AND surround sound amp, so it's all you will ever need. The amp is practically the same as the Mixamp (which is also around $130 alone). If ever you feel like upgrading, the AX720's amp will work with every other headphone, just like the Mixamp. Most of my headphone enthusiast friends pretty much agree that for most people, the AX720 will be enough for gaming.

If you wanna go the harder route:

DON'T ever get the Zalman. It's omni-directional and picks up every other sound in your room except your voice. It's terrible. The Labtec LVA 7330 mic is awesome. You'd have to sand off the headband portion, and find a way to attach it to your headphones, IF you can get it that is.

I personally recommend the:

AD700 (if you don't mind the lack of bass). These do everything else so well, I doubt you'd ever miss the bass when you're busy destroying people in FPS games. For single player games, you WILL miss the bass. I consider them for hardcore gamers who want pinpoint accuracy.

Creative Aurvana Live (sacrifice the huge AD700 soundstage for better overall balance, does everything well, but isn't the best at anything. A Jack of all trades really.) It does bass, clarity, positioning, comfort, pretty much anything well, especially for the $60 I paid for them. They are found for around $100 or more now though...

K702 (if you have an amp to go after the mixamp, as it will sound waaaay too weak when you try using it with voice chat). I have the K701, and it's the best headphone I have ever used for gaming, and the mixamp powers them fine ONLY if you leave the Mixamp with the game/voice knob leaning very heavily towards Game, which is why I can't recommend them if you're trying to pair them up with a mic. Otherwise, it's everything the AD700s wanted to be. If the bass of the AD700 is a 2/10, the K701/702 is a 5/10. Not bassy, but definitely much more impactful.

Others that are recommended but haven't personally  tried:

JVC HARX700 and HARX900
Sony MDR-F1
Senn 555 (modded to '595')

Again for starters, I say go for the Tritton AX720. It's a no brainer, considering you can still keep the amp and use it on better headphones later. The Astro A30/A40 Mixamp combo is better, but it's generally said not $120 better than the AX720 setup.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
If you're just starting out with headphone gaming, I honestly believe you should start out with the Tritton AX720 for $130. It comes with a headset AND surround sound amp, so it's all you will ever need. The amp is practically the same as the Mixamp (which is also around $130 alone). If ever you feel like upgrading, the AX720's amp will work with every other headphone, just like the Mixamp. Most of my headphone enthusiast friends pretty much agree that for most people, the AX720 will be enough for gaming.

mmm...

Amazon.com doesn't ship to Europe, so the only shop in Europe where I can find Tritton Ax720 is limexb360.co.uk, which has only the "black ops edition (not until mid november) and sells it at an enourmous price, is around 279,00 dollars (!!!!)

There is the Tritton AX pro 5.1 for 250,00 Dollars, but I honestly don't know if it is worth the price...

Lets do this:

1)Can you tell me (if you tried), if the bass of the A40 headset (astro) is the same as the  AD700? I tell you this because tomorrow I'm going to try the A40 system from a friend, so if you tell me this I can compare and decide better if is ok for me... oh, the AD700 reaches full power without problems with mixamp only, right? Even with chat and mic? 
biggrin.gif

2)And another little question: can you tell me what kind of amp I need to go after mixamp for the K701 to be properly good "amped" and to free chatting through live? Just give me some link of products which are good enough but not expensive, or the specifics of the amp, I don't know... I'm really a noob in this regard, sorry... maybe the Fiio E7 would do the job or is too weak??

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 13
I owned the AX Pros. They were terrible. Skip it like the plague. The AX 720 is newer and uses just 2 drivers and dolby headphone. That in itself is worth it over the gimmicky 5.1 headset they had in the AX Pros.

I had the A40's (my first real headset), and they weren't bassy, but definitely had noticably more bass than the AD700. The thing is that the AD700s are just extremely lacking whenit comes to bass, but otherwise, they were better than the A40s in every other aspect. The A40's are good in that they come completely ready to go, with no hassles in attaching a mic, or anything else. If the AX720 is close to the A40s for almost half the price, I'd highly suggest it to every newcomer.

The Fiio E7 is too weak to help the Mixamp power the K702 with voice chat enabled. It's funny, awith the voice/chat knob turned all the way towards the Game, the K701 is VERY loud, but as soon as you moved the knob towards Voice, the K701 becomes servely underdriven, moreso than any headphone I have ever used with the Mixamp. It's a dramatic drop off. I don't have any beastly amp for my K701, but I'm gonna assume you need something that can drive typical 600ohm cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back