Help me choose between 3 headphones for closed back, mobile use.
Oct 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KCxSmacker

500+ Head-Fier
To start off I will start with the music I like. I switch between Alt Rock, rock, classic rock, all genres of techno, mainly drum and bass  but I love it all, Classical music (mainly cello, violin, piano). I love me some deep sexy bass but dont like to hide the mids and highs. 

Current headphones:

Denon 5000s
sen. 598s
HE-400
audio tech. m50s
shure se215s

So I want good sound isolation, sexy bass with good mids and highs, a decent fit for walking around and doing everyday things around a college campus . The Shures are nice for biking or running but I want something a bit more for when I am out and about. 

The three i'm looking at right now are:

Denon d600, Fostex Mad Dogs, and the Sennheiser Momentum EDIT: maybe the 267 tiestos?

I have been looking around for a while and I just cant make up my mind. 

Max budget would be about 350 bucks as the ones listed are about that or below. ( found the d600s for 340)

If you have other options let me know and explain why. I have been through many forums and still cant come to a conclusion. 

thanks for the help,

Cheers

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 12
If you want sexy bass then I can tell you to avoid the D600, very little sub bass, mostly mid bass. Momentums do bass well but are really uncomfortable for me(they're more of a on-ear headphone for my big ears, and i cant tolerate on ear headphones, over ear only for me). I am pretty much in the same boat as you. We even own the some of the same headphones, like the D5ks and the HE 400 and I too am basically looking for a good portable headphone, that isolates well and is easy to drive with good bass. I can tell you the Momentums got many things right for me. The Bass was good, mids were forward, highs lack some detail but it was still a very good headphone, sadly it wasn't comfortable at all. D600s are also pretty good but the bass was a deal killer. Also if you like the sound of your D5ks know that the D600 sound nothing like that, instead of the warm and rich sound they have a very thin and distant sound. My Mad Dogs with Dog Pads should be here today or tomorrow and I can let you know how well they fare. Other headphones to keep an eye on that I am also considering are the MDR-1Rs, V-Moda M100s, Ultrasone Sig DJs(although these are quite a bit expensive, but I am still considering these), UE 6000(these seemed to be pretty much Beats by Dre 2.0 on first glance, i knew UE has plenty of good stuff but I assumed they had officially gone over to the dark side when i saw pics of their new UE series, but Tyll from InnerFidelity recently gave these a very good review, and says he prefers them to the K550s, these are a Apple store exclusive right now so I am waiting when my nearest Apple store will get them so I can go give these a listen). Honestly as of right now I think the M100 are gonna be my best option. Although I bought the Mad Dogs i dont think they are gonna fulfill this portable requirment of mine as they are too big and need a decent amp to ve driven, I am looking for a portable can that my phone can drive.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 12
To start off I will start with the music I like. I switch between Alt Rock, rock, classic rock, all genres of techno, mainly drum and bass  but I love it all, Classical music (mainly cello, violin, piano). I love me some deep sexy bass but dont like to hide the mids and highs. 

Current headphones:

Denon 5000s
sen. 598s
HE-400
audio tech. m50s
shure se215s

So I want good sound isolation, sexy bass with good mids and highs, a decent fit for walking around and doing everyday things around a college campus . The Shures are nice for biking or running but I want something a bit more for when I am out and about. 

The three i'm looking at right now are:

Denon d600, Fostex Mad Dogs, and the Sennheiser Momentum EDIT: maybe the 267 tiestos?

I have been looking around for a while and I just cant make up my mind. 

Max budget would be about 350 bucks as the ones listed are about that or below. ( found the d600s for 340)

If you have other options let me know and explain why. I have been through many forums and still cant come to a conclusion. 

thanks for the help,

Cheers

Is This a double post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back