Help first amp decision LYR, Asgard, Matrix M Stage, or HeadDirect EF5 with D5000.
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 48
@roker, I'll have to look into the Keces USB DAC.  I have had a couple of experiences with different USB DACs and found them to be a bit finicky.  One didn't like my powered USB hub (HRT Screamer II) and I could of course understand that, but also had a couple issues with the USB out of the back of my tower.  (This was just a couple of hours with that unit doing some comparing.)  

Another Head-Fier at a meet had a USB DAC that had a lot of USB issues too and I was surprised he still used the unit but it might have been a laptop/port issue...he said "oh, it always does that- I just unplug it and plug it back in."

The Nuforce Icon Mobile: no problems with the USB on that unit.  I know you had one...  

My iBasso D12 also does not have any USB problems so far.  But as I am trying to compare the optical and the USB on the unit the optical input has decided not to work.  Already replaced the charging switch on this unit.  I think the optical cable is okay because it works fine with the Benchmark DAC and I know the optical used to work on the D12...darn!

I slightly prefer the optical over the USB in my Sparrow B- a little less "rough".  My friend's Sparrow B I <definitely> preferred the sound of the optical input over the USB a bit "drier/more neutral".

That's all the experience I have (not a lot).

Quote:
All and all, my Keces USB DAC loves my LDI+ amp, which in turn loves my D2000s.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 48
The Beyer 990 cans are famous for their big "V" sound signature, which are both their quantity and quality in both Low and Highs. I never tried the 880 so I assume they are similar to the 990 600 ohm. I can only compare them with 650 and K702 which I owned since they are considered. in same league. In comparison to the HD650, the 990 seems to have better bass control and quality while 650 has better bass extension which will be help to have a fuller mids. As of the treble, the 990 cut the edge again by very slight advantage( very slight). Although to a lot of people Beyer is way to bright, it would be a good choice if you enjoy the big-"v" equalizer ( outstanding quality in both ends). However HD650 have a huge scale on amp so I would say it has more potential. In mids, the 650 beats 990 hands down, in my opinion, it's just fuller and more authority and clear( maybe because the V sound on beyer really compressed the mids) and same in the sound stage aspects.

Although K701/2 is a totally different can, if you looking for clear-mids and highs, and not asking much about the bass this could the one for you. Pretty good bang for the buck. Although it's picky about the amp and could be boring to someone.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 48
DT880s are neutral throughout, some people find them too bright (hot treble) and so a tube amp is necessary. Rather than suggesting an amp have a read through Skylabs tube amp review. Tube amps do get hot, some more than others, I haven't heard one but people here report the Schiit amps get very hot.

Headphone with clear mids and highs? - The DT880 as suggested previously should suit you, also Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 if you're feeling rich should also fit your requirements. The HE-5LE as you mentioned would likely be a class above with a more forward presentation like all orthodynamics, I've also heard a HE-500 is to be released so you might want to wait on that. The HiFiMAN HE-4 and EF5 Combo is on sale for $699 at head-direct, this I'm sure is a very nice setup.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 48
DT880s are neutral throughout, some people find them too bright (hot treble) and so a tube amp is necessary. Rather than suggesting an amp have a read through Skylabs tube amp review. Tube amps do get hot, some more than others, I haven't heard one but people here report the Schiit amps get very hot.

Headphone with clear mids and highs? - The DT880 as suggested previously should suit you, also Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 if you're feeling rich should also fit your requirements. The HE-5LE as you mentioned would likely be a class above with a more forward presentation like all orthodynamics, I've also heard a HE-500 is to be released so you might want to wait on that. The HiFiMAN HE-4 and EF5 Combo is on sale for $699 at head-direct, this I'm sure is a very nice setup.

lol sorry for misleading if any, like i said i've only heard the 990's

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 48

Quote:
Let me try this a different way which of these amps would sound good with DT880's, D5000, (possibly LCD-2 HE-5LE). This first amp needs to be ready for as many as possible of these HP's. That is a big order may not get done but then I can pick and choose other amps as needed. I thought the Matrix and EF had good clarity but I am not sure they can handle all the HP's. Asgard LYR can handle two sets I am pretty sure but how the mids and highs sound I don't know. How is the heat on all these amps? I live in the desert and work in the middle of several computers.

If you intend to drive your current HP collection only, you could save money by purchasing an amp in the 2 to $300.00 dollar arena.  If you're going to continue adding to your HP collection, the LYR is a no brainer.  I'm currently rocking markl modded 5000's and K701's with the LYR, and I mean ROCKING.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 48
I want to go further with this it seems I enjoy music a lot. I was told by someone a while back that the DT880's might be good for me actually over the DT990's for some reason. I needed the closed cups of the Denon because of external noise. LYR is almost a given because I will be going further. I am not sure at this point I can go any further. I like many kinds of music so it is hard to decide what is best to start with. I hope I can explain the sound I like. I like string instruments guitars I like to hear fingers slide the pick move Eagles Hell freezees over and harpsichord bach and piano also. I like good bass but tight well defined not loose and mushy. I hope this gives some idea of what I am looking for. If I know a sound is there I want to hear it but hear it correctly. I do not have a place within a few hundred miles to even listen to good headphones so I appreciate all of your help.

Where can I get a headphone holder?

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #22 of 48
I now have, um...several (they make good stocking stuffers too):

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091280

As provided by a great member here.

(Somewhere there's an executive at Rubbermaid wondering if Global Warming is driving up hose-hook sales.) 

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 48
So you are looking full and detailed mids with good extension , like the sustain from strings , It seems like HD600 really suits you. try to get used one for both the phones and amp that way you won't pay much difference when you try to upgrade. However this is a end less road where requiring burning money for fuel. I suggest you wait a while for the second hand market for a really good bang for the buck stuff. Like burson-160 amp probably around 3-400 bucks, or even a DEC-CSP2+. The new CSP2+ is like less than 800 or so, a used one probably would be around 500 dollars with extra tubes for rolling.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 48

Quote:
I want to go further with this it seems I enjoy music a lot. I was told by someone a while back that the DT880's might be good for me actually over the DT990's for some reason. I needed the closed cups of the Denon because of external noise. LYR is almost a given because I will be going further. I am not sure at this point I can go any further. I like many kinds of music so it is hard to decide what is best to start with. I hope I can explain the sound I like. I like string instruments guitars I like to hear fingers slide the pick move Eagles Hell freezees over and harpsichord bach and piano also. I like good bass but tight well defined not loose and mushy. I hope this gives some idea of what I am looking for. If I know a sound is there I want to hear it but hear it correctly. I do not have a place within a few hundred miles to even listen to good headphones so I appreciate all of your help.

Where can I get a headphone holder?

Home made for around $30.00 in parts and pieces.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #28 of 48
CEE TEE I thought you were joking but that is not bad. I just need something to keep them up and not scratched. I may try that.

BrucYSN I am not really sure if what I want is a Sennheiser or not but that sounds like something to look into later. I just hate to miss sounds in music and distortion is my enemy. Used may be good later when I know what I am doing a little better.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #29 of 48
Sennheiser is really great at handle mids. And HD600 would have better controlled bass and also less in amount comparing to 650. And yes, it dose have a flat freq response. However if you like natural sound this would be great for since that's what 880 have according to earlier replied. Although bear in mind that most of the Sennheiser have this thick, relaxed , smoothing sound, but 600 has been appearing to be more involving compare to 650 ( not to me though ), Although 650 have this emphasize on bass in mids that really make piano shine, if you like the notes to be a little bite punchy at sometime.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #30 of 48

Quote:
My reasoning behind not suggesting anything expensive for the Denons is that they're not only easy to drive but quite muffled sounding/detail lacking, again in my opinion. Expensive DACs and amps would be a waste on them.

While I'm not going to argue that you have use expensive amps to power the Denons, I will say they need the right amp as some amps can make them sound "muffled".

I'm not going to say they're the most detailed headphone I've ever heard, but I'd NEVER say they sound muffled.

My setup's MSRP for my D2000s is 500 (both dac/amp) and I'd say it's worth every penny.  Other dac and amps combos I've tried using them with didn't mesh well, but on the cheap side, my Nuforce Icon Mobile gives me about 80% of the sound I get in my main setup, so I can agree on being able to drive them cheaply, but most importantly, they need to be driven PROPERLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back