Help, can't choose which headphone around 200€! Grado sr225i/ akg 701/ sennheiser 600,...?
Sep 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

crizelle

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hi everyone,[/size]

[size=10pt]I am planning to spend around 200euros on brand new hi fi gear. I am looking for cans that would be used with an ipod 5generation with flac files and some 320 and a future ampli/dac (which I would really need your help on this one).[/size]

[size=10pt]I was actually thinking on getting a Grado sr225i as I have read only positive adjectives about them. However, I happen to love any type of music (as most of the people here I guess), but have a tendency to listen to a lot of IDM, electro and minimal music. It seems to me that this pair would be amazing for rock/pop/jazz/classical and could suit electro riffs really well, but I was asking myself whether there was a real lack of bass.[/size]
[size=10pt]That is why I considered maybe the AKG701 of a sennheiser 600. However, maybe they would not suit as well the other rock/pop/jazz than the Grado.[/size]

[size=10pt]Concerning the amplifier/dac (which doesn’t enter in the budget of 200), I was thinking of a nuforce icon mobile as it can be taken for a walk to work/ transports in general. Do you think it would be a good choice in terms of sound improvement ? If not, are there any other models out there that would suit best the Grado and still have a battery? [/size]

[size=10pt]Anyway, could this amplifier be used only as a DAC, then plug another better but non transportable amplifier?(so at home)[/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you in advance!
dt880smile.png
[/size]

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 12
I own K701, and for me this can is good for rock-pop-jazz, it's deliver natural sound with awesome staging.

When I compared it to MS2i for rock-pop-jazz (which is my main music), I chose the K701 by wide margin.

Just make sure you give decent amp to K701. (in my case I' use Linearossa K3)

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you for the qdvice. However, it appears on many forums the k701 might not give a very sensitive sound! and it indeed seems difficult to drive, not sure the amp I talked about might drive it!

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 12
You realize that all these cans are open, right? Not the best for walking around with, plus unless you get a recable, the cable will be quite long for portable purposes.
having said that, I have my Sr225i in portable mode ( short re-cable 1/8 plug ). I use it for walks where I still  want to be able to listen for cars etc. I also use my esw9a this way, both can be driven w/o an amp, yet I use my portable amp with a LOD for improved sound and power.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 12
I know these cans are open ones. Which shouldn't be an important issue.
However I am not sure the Grado might suite the electro and minimal really well. Plus, the real concern I see with the fact they are open ones, is that it might be annoying in the eurostar or plane or in a basic train to outskirts.

Now I just found out about the Shure srh840, do you have any clue about these ones?

Plus, also found the Fiio E5 as an amplifier, do you recommend it or not?

thanks!

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 12
In the end, I decided to get the Shure srh 840 as I couldn't find any bad review concerning these close cans, which would be more appropriate for transports. Plus, their performance seems not that far away from open cans so I am pretty sure I will be able to enjoy them at home.

I ll come back with a mini review as soon as I get them and use them!

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 12
The Nuforce Mobile can not drive the HD-600 and definitely not the AKG 701. Most people would say "sounds fine to me" but it can be hard to spot the degraded sound quality.
At first I tested the Nuforce mobile with the HD-600 and there is a severe lack of bass. The overall sound is very flat and boring, which is not what they sound like when properly amped.
The AKG 701 is even harder to drive then the HD-600, despite the OHM ratings. Whatever you do, don't get either of these with just the Nuforce mobile or the E5. It will be a waste of money because you can get something less expensive to use without an amp.

The HD-600 will work with the Total Airhead ($100), but it's very, very picky and will often blink red, but still has a lot of bass and high volume. It sounds good, but I barely use this combination. Certain frequencies make it blink red. I don't suggest this amp with the HD-600. I don't think very many portable amps will work well with the HD-600.

For portable use I'd try some other headphones. The SRH-840 is what I would suggest. Not sure about the Grado 225i.

Oops..I just read your last post. Good pick on the headphones. Hopefully my post will at least keep someone from getting the HD-600 and using it with a cheap portable amp.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 12
Thank you for your comments still, it confirns what I was thinking concerning the HD 600 and the AKG. 
For now, I have received the E5 and a grado line out cable for ipod, which is already an appreciable upgrade from only my senns cx 220(which are serious and qualitative earphones by the way, but that s another story). The bass is increase mostly with the bass boost mode, but I way prefer the flat mode. Medium and high get the most of the amp, which is now around 10 hours of constant listening.

Glad you confirm the good choice of Shure SRH 840, I will get back here with instant feelings!

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 12
I advise you NOT to go for the Sennheiser HD 600's if you are thinking of using them with your iPod. They will perform horrendously as these headphones work best with a decent Headphone Amplifier (Not like a FiiO E5, usually one that costs $200+ such as the Graham Slee Novo).

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Good choice re: Shure SRH 840. I owned them and thought they were quite good... you may want to get a portable amp for them to really shine with an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back