help! - AKG K271 MK II making my ears hot and sweaty
Jul 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

spoonsphere

New Head-Fier
hi folks!

i like how my AKG K271 MK II's sound, and they are quite light on my head despite the huge size.  however, i've noticed that my ears get hot and sweaty after a couple of hours.  i'm using the velour pads.

am i doing something wrong?

any suggestions on how to deal with the heat issue?

thanks!

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 20
There's really no way around it if velour pads are too hot for you.  Obviously the pleathers will be much worse and there really isn't any other solution for K271 except for Beyerdynamic pads, which won't be much different. 

I actually use it for hours at a time for monitoring purposes and do not find it hot at all... different for everyone I guess (it may have to do with size of your ears as there isn't much room inside the pads; mine are thankfully on the small side).

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 20
I don't think the K240's will be any better. The pads are the same, and the headphones are about the same size.

What's your budget, and do you need isolation? If you like the AKG sound, and don't need isolation, I would suggest checking out the K701 or the K702 (identical sound, different colors). I'm thinking it's the clamping of the phones that causes the heat/sweat. The K702 is a bit larger than the K240 and K271, and fits more around the ear, rather than on it. They actually aren't much more than the K271, especially used in the FS forums.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 20
hi blackzarg,

i bought the K271's because i need the sound isolation.  how audible are the K701/702 to those around you?

hi lapsce,

i'd like to visit maine one day, but i like where i live now :)

hi zapp,

i think the k1000's are going to be open, just like the K701/702's.  is that right?  also, they cost a bit more than what i wanted to spend (provided i can even find them) :)

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:

i bought the K271's because i need the sound isolation.  how audible are the K701/702 to those around you?

put it this way, they can sing along. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
hi k_19,

do you think i'd do better with the AKG K240's?  i know they don't provide the same isolation, but would they keep my ears cooler?

thanks!

K240's will definitely not be any better.  It has pretty much the same pads and the cup circumference. 

Yeah, about the only thing you can do at this point is probably to try headphones with more room inside the pads.  K701 is a lot more roomier.  And if you can afford it, K1000 obviously doesn't even cover or touch your ears at all and would be your ideal solution.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Wow, some funny answers!

Quote:
move to maine

Quote:

put it this way, they can sing along. 
biggrin.gif

The K701/K702 are definitely open headphones. Have you tried Beyerdynamic headphones? Maybe give the DT250 or the DT770 a try.... they will definitely have a different sound signature from the AKGs, but perhaps be a better fit in terms of comfort for you since they also sit around your ears much better than the K240/K271.

Comfort is very important in my book, possibly equal or greater than sound quality (which is why I got rid of my Grados). I have yet to find an uncomfortable headphone that I will tolerate for its sound quality. The headphone inventory I have are all quite comfortable!

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
hi folks!

i like how my AKG K271 MK II's sound, and they are quite light on my head despite the huge size.  however, i've noticed that my ears get hot and sweaty after a couple of hours.  i'm using the velour pads.

am i doing something wrong?

any suggestions on how to deal with the heat issue?

thanks!

Interesting. I have the K271 MK I, and I have the same problem. I always assumed that velour pads would fix that, but maybe not. Maybe it has more to do with the fact that they are closed backs? My Sennheiser HD 580s don't have this problem, but they are an open design.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Wow, some funny answers!

The K701/K702 are definitely open headphones. Have you tried Beyerdynamic headphones? Maybe give the DT250 or the DT770 a try.... they will definitely have a different sound signature from the AKGs, but perhaps be a better fit in terms of comfort for you since they also sit around your ears much better than the K240/K271.

Comfort is very important in my book, possibly equal or greater than sound quality (which is why I got rid of my Grados). I have yet to find an uncomfortable headphone that I will tolerate for its sound quality. The headphone inventory I have are all quite comfortable!

hi blackzarg,

i tried the DT770's, and heat issues aside (i didn't try them for long enough to find out if heat was an issue), i found the akg k271 to be more comfortable.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 20
Give your ears a break and move the headphones once in a while. You can't have isolation and ventilation at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back