Heed CanAmp
Mar 14, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #1,201 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man I am getting second thought now...

Nah, the deed's done...looking forward to the Pimeta / CanAmp comparison!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #1,202 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by spukee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes a lot of sense to me, I've heard amps that has really good instrument separation, but the music just don't sound "together".

Perhaps you should think about modding amps as a business. Ala Pinkfloyd
smily_headphones1.gif

Then I can include a d-cee modded canamp on my signature hehe.

I bet this thread has sold more canamps than Heed's marketing could ever hope for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great. D-cee's is modded to the hilt, mine is stock. Great opportunity to hear how mods affect CanAmp.

im not able to make it to the meet :S

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #1,203 of 2,784
I use the Heed with HD650's. Question for Carlos, or anyone who has the experience, how does the Heed compare with the very best high end solid state amps?

Cheers,

Nigel

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #1,205 of 2,784
I have not had the oportunity of comparing the CanAmp to other high end SS amps. I compared it with my singlepower, and what can I say, the singlepower is better. No surprises here. Could I live only with the CanAmp? Yes, and without much regret. If I have the money for a singlepower, could I live only with the CanAmp? No, but maybe you could, who knows.
The CanAmp is a marvelous amp for its cost, but it does not do magic. Speaking in general and without having made a serious comparison, I can see it competing with some amps about 600€, but not 2000€.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #1,206 of 2,784
What about the GS-1? I know it's unfair, but it's not about competition, it's just to give me an idea of how the Heed sounds (I'm getting one anyway).

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #1,207 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not had the oportunity of comparing the CanAmp to other high end SS amps. I compared it with my singlepower, and what can I say, the singlepower is better. No surprises here. Could I live only with the CanAmp? Yes, and without much regret. If I have the money for a singlepower, could I live only with the CanAmp? No, but maybe you could, who knows.
The CanAmp is a marvelous amp for its cost, but it does not do magic. Speaking in general and without having made a serious comparison, I can see it competing with some amps about 600€, but not 2000€.

But that is the only fair comparison. You can't expect any piece of equipment, cars, amps or anything, to match up with something 3x the cost. The developers at Heed acknowledge that it is an entry level amp and bigger and better Heeds are coming. Let's keep the apples with the apples.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #1,208 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by George Chronis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the GS-1? I know it's unfair, but it's not about competition, it's just to give me an idea of how the Heed sounds (I'm getting one anyway).

Hi George

I had a chance to listen to Towert7s GS-1

orig.jpg

with my HD650s and DT880s at the NY meet on the 3rd. I had my Woo3, M^3, CANAMP and ASRs Gilmore Lite with DPS set up at my station for comparison.

orig.jpg

DW6928 was there too (spotted by my web cam from across the room)
biggrin.gif

orig.jpg

and came over to listen with his Ultrasones... (which I had a chance to hear for the first time)

Meet conditions being what they were, what I remember most about the GS-1 to CANAMP comparison was that 12:00 on the CANAMP volume control was more than the GS-1 had in it with the volume turned up all the way. To its credit, the GS-1 did not distort at maximum volume but it just couldn't go into CANAMP territory. This is not a assessment of the GS-1s audio quality, just its ability to play loudly. It should also be noted that it's not a great idea to explore how loudly the CANAMP can go before the sound starts to become strained.... it can and will damage your hearing long before the sound begins to degrade.

Regards

USG

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #1,211 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are asking how a $400 amp compares with any (no price mentioned) SS amp? That's a tough comparison for any amp
in the $400 range.

I appreciate what your saying DW.

It's just that I need to know what to aspire to next, & if there is a next, how much is at all going to cost & will it be worth it.

Don't know if that makes any sense? :)

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #1,212 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike (PinkFloyd) brought it to my attention and I thank him for it. Now all I have to do is fix the Beetle and then buy/mod a Heed.
icon10.gif

what, you don't have one?! perhaps you need to reverse the order of your second sentence.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #1,213 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im not able to make it to the meet :S

any chance your amp could attend without you so that folks could compare the modded version to the stocker?

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #1,214 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Heed with HD650's. Question for Carlos, or anyone who has the experience, how does the Heed compare with the very best high end solid state amps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Chronis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i've spent some time with my maxxed out headamp gilmore v2 se and a can amp side by side using a variety of phones (various akgs, senns, beyers etc). the gilmore v2, as i understand it, is essentially the same circuit as the gs-1 but the maxxed out se (stepped attenuator, silver wire, black gates) takes it beyond a stock gs-1 (and a couple of us have done the side by side comparison). this amp clearly bested the can amp, which is why i've not gotten a can amp to date. that's no knock on the can amp as it's certainly a both a good amp and a good value. the fanboyism sometimes exhibited in this thread might erroneously lead one to believe that it's as good as or better than anything else out there and this simply isn't so. but as i said i do think it's a good piece. i've put out a few suggestions earlier in this thread as to things i'd like to see incorporated in an uber can amp, and i sure hope the heed folks take these sorts of suggestions and are hard at work with an even better product. that's something some of us eagerly await!
icon10.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #1,215 of 2,784
I've just finished slogging through 61 pages of Heed CanAmp. 61 pages! Where do I collect my price? After spending the whole evening reading about Canamp, I've now joined the Team CanAmp (coming soon).
biggrin.gif
(curse you head-fi, etc. etc. A hex on you!)

I DO love my LD2+, I'm very much impressed by the sound the amp gives. But K701's are VERY source dependant and cable dependant and amp dependant and tube dependant so there are just too many factors for me to handle on the longer run. I'd like to have an amp that has synergy with K701's right from the start. With right tubes and right cables the LD2+ does sound excellent with K701's, as I've found out, so I'm going to take my time doing some comparisons and then decide which one to keep for good (hah) and which one I'm letting go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back