Heed CanAmp
Mar 13, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #1,171 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by spukee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've said my goodbye's to the Aria, which sounded a bit dry paired with the K701.

I love the K701 but they are damn picky with amps! I hope my search stops with the Canamp
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I am not a big fan of K701+CanAmp, but I know many headfiers are. I think dw6928 is the biggest of all
smily_headphones1.gif
Why a I do not like this combination? It certainly does a lot of things right. It is dynamic, very clear and with good impact. K701 are not bassy cans, everybody knows it, but are good enough with the CanAmp. Clean and quality bass. But I do not like the highs.
In my opinion K701s have a certain quality in the highs that I do not like very much. I do not know if call it "dryness" or what. It is a certain "bite" that I do not find pleasant. They sound unnatural to me, very "hifi" if you know what I mean. With a superior tube amp like my Singlepower this quality is much less evident, and with certain quality recordings is non existent. In these cases the increased detail may be even a plus.
But the CanAmp seems to emphasize what I do not like of K701 highs. They get piercing frequently. And in a lot of recordings cymbals sound really bad for me. In my opinion, exagerated and fatiguing. Ks ks ks, with a sibilant, crashed sound really ugly
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am not saying that the CanAmp is a lean or bright amp. Not a all. And with other cans that I find bright (like Grados+bowls), I do not observe this effect, more to the contrary. It is only that the CanAMp seems to "squeeze" the K701 and the resulting juice is a little too "sour" in the highs for my taste
smily_headphones1.gif
I am talking of CanAmp + K701 + Headroom MicroDac, although I have tried with other sources with similar or worse effects. I think it is the same that dw6928 has
smily_headphones1.gif
. A clear example of different tastes. I suppose that what I do not like about K701+canamp, many will find very atractive.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #1,172 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I am not a big fan of K701+CanAmp, but I know many headfiers are. I think dw6928 is the biggest of all
smily_headphones1.gif
Why a I do not like this combination? It certainly does a lot of things right. It is dynamic, very clear and with good impact. K701 are not bassy cans, everybody knows it, but are good enough with the CanAmp. Clean and quality bass. But I do not like the highs.
In my opinion K701s have a certain quality in the highs that I do not like very much. I do not know if call it "dryness" or what. It is a certain "bite" that I do not find pleasant. They sound unnatural to me, very "hifi" if you know what I mean. With a superior tube amp like my Singlepower this quality is much less evident, and with certain quality recordings is non existent. In these cases the increased detail may be even a plus.
But the CanAmp seems to emphasize what I do not like of K701 highs. They get piercing frequently. And in a lot of recordings cymbals sound really bad for me. In my opinion, exagerated and fatiguing. Ks ks ks, with a sibilant, crashed sound really ugly
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am not saying that the CanAmp is a lean or bright amp. Not a all. And with other cans that I find bright (like Grados+bowls), I do not observe this effect, more to the contrary. It is only that the CanAMp seems to "squeeze" the K701 and the resulting juice is a little too "sour" in the highs for my taste
smily_headphones1.gif
I am talking of CanAmp + K701 + Headroom MicroDac, although I have tried with other sources with similar or worse effects. I think it is the same that dw6928 has
smily_headphones1.gif
. A clear example of different tastes. I suppose that what I do not like about K701+canamp, many will find very atractive.

dw6928's praise for the canamp is difficult to ignore
smily_headphones1.gif
My K701 is well burnt in (over 450 hours - in 2 months!). Alpar mentioned that it will ship this week, so I'm ecstatic about that.

carlosgp, as long as it has good impact and fills out the bass as you said, I think that would make me happy enough. There was another post - I believe by ASR, that said the amp was a bit forward sounding - this is another characteristic I like, as the Aria sounded like the voices were too laid back.

If things don't work out with the K701 and Canamp... well... you'll be seeing the K701 in the For Sale Forum!
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #1,174 of 2,784
Carlosgp, you know you would hear from me. I am really confused by your analysis of the Microdac/Heed/701 combination. I find that the Heed smooths out exactly what you find objectionable and is both lucid and true when it comes to cymbal and higher registers. What kind of ICs are you using? That is really the only salient difference we both have. To my ears, the 701s favor the Heed more than any other amp I have thrown at it. I just borrowed a V3 amp (PinkFloyd modded) and it was not up to the task as is the Heed. The highs were well rounded but not expansive. Please spend a little more time with me on this so that I may understand your objections. You are the first I have encountered that hears this from the Heed/701

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #1,176 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yome6969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry late and very thanks.

Muse : Black Hole , New born

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiU_WfmoFV8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZrxVng6YBc

Evanescence : Going Under , Bring Me To Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZjf9C6atT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90JTWnfPKE

Linkin Park : One Step Closer , In The End

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5sx7OFPGOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UFTmeoXK8

By selecting the headphone and the cable,
can Canamp play those tunes well?

Woah that's some terrible music!

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #1,178 of 2,784
Drew needed a few extra days for customization. I had thought I would have them by Wednesday, but he thought he would be shipping from NC to NY Thursday/Friday. I will, of course, post my "review" of the modded 701s, but where do you suggest I post? New thread? Hi Dex!

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #1,179 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by spukee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dw6928's praise for the canamp is difficult to ignore
smily_headphones1.gif
My K701 is well burnt in (over 450 hours - in 2 months!). Alpar mentioned that it will ship this week, so I'm ecstatic about that.

So, with a bit of luck we may see your CanAmp at Sydney Meet? That would be great - to compare yours un-burned one with mine at more than 200 hours on it. I'd like to check it out personally...

I honestly can't tell the difference from my "audio memory" whether CanAmp sound better now compared to new "from the box". Unfortunatelly around 100 hour mark I've changed DT990 to Darths, which I'm using exlusively now and that didn't help in any reasonable evaluation of alleged 200 hour mark 'goodness coming your way all of a sudden".

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #1,180 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Knockturne; take the attitude somewhere else.

it may not be your favorite music (or mine), but we come here for a mutual love of finding the best sound for the music we, as individuals, like to listen to...

you probably have crap taste in music compared to me, so don't fuss about it
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #1,182 of 2,784
well, i started the burn-in process on the 3rd of this month and have had my K701s hooked up and playing back pink noise and music (when i'm actually using it) in between as well. it has had a few breaks here and there for a few hours at a time as well to cool down (hot summer heat here even though it's now officially autumn)

anyway, it's verging on 300 hours now, and should pass 300 by this weekend, when i will have some time to have a serious listening session, i hope it will have well and truly settled (haven't done any mods since opening it up to add in the last pair of nichicon muse caps)

anyhow, i dont know how my musical memory fares, but i dont think my unit has changed much by way of burn-in. i listened to it last night and i have the same overwhelming feeling as i experienced when the last blob of solder cooled and i popped my headphones on - absolutely fantastic, but like i said, i haven't had much time to listen critically, which i sort of feel defeats the purpose of listening to music sometimes, but i guess since i modded the crap out of it i'd want to see how it's changed, thoug like i said my memory isn't fantastic

anyway, will report back, all i know is it doesn't sound any less awesome than when i first got it
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #1,183 of 2,784
Quote:

now that's not fair. i don't know about other people but i tend to get offended at statements like that. say, "i don't like it." or something of that nature. saying that something is not good is usually very subjective and meaningless.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #1,184 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, with a bit of luck we may see your CanAmp at Sydney Meet? That would be great - to compare yours un-burned one with mine at more than 200 hours on it. I'd like to check it out personally...

How I wish Lad - but I have my doubts about my amp making it in time for the 24th. Alpar hasn't even accepted my payment yet (I don't even have the paypal details). He has taken my address though
wink.gif

D-cee has the other canamp - so we'll have 2 to compare - his is fairly new as well...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

OMG, if only people knew some of the ***** I listen to. I wouldn't even admit to my friends! But hey - all subjective right?
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #1,185 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now that's not fair. i don't know about other people but i tend to get offended at statements like that. say, "i don't like it." or something of that nature. saying that something is not good is usually very subjective and meaningless.

There's a difference between something you dislike because it just doesn't do it for you / it's not your kind of music, and knowing something's complete ****. I dislike Elliot Smith but I don't think he's ****. I don't like Miles Davis but I wouldn't ever say he's bad. There's such thing as bad music and good music...it's not just taste.

Sorry for going off topic, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back