Heed CanAmp
Mar 15, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #1,216 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've spent some time with my maxxed out headamp gilmore v2 se and a can amp side by side using a variety of phones (various akgs, senns, beyers etc). the gilmore v2, as i understand it, is essentially the same circuit as the gs-1 but the maxxed out se (stepped attenuator, silver wire, black gates) takes it beyond a stock gs-1 (and a couple of us have done the side by side comparison). this amp clearly bested the can amp, which is why i've not gotten a can amp to date. that's no knock on the can amp as it's certainly a both a good amp and a good value. the fanboyism sometimes exhibited in this thread might erroneously lead one to believe that it's as good as or better than anything else out there and this simply isn't so. but as i said i do think it's a good piece. i've put out a few suggestions earlier in this thread as to things i'd like to see incorporated in an uber can amp, and i sure hope the heed folks take these sorts of suggestions and are hard at work with an even better product. that's something some of us eagerly await!
icon10.gif

Hi Dave

What are the differences between a maxxed out headamp gilmore v2 se, a Gilmore Lite w/DPS and a GS-1? I didn't notice it on the Headamp site.... did I miss it?

USG

check your e-mail in a few minutes....
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #1,217 of 2,784
Quote:

what, you don't have one?! perhaps you need to reverse the order of your second sentence.
evil_smiley.gif

I had one for about 4 months as a loaner waiting for my very own. Then I found rot (rust) on my Beetle so I returned it to fix my car. Then I go and get into an accident and now I have to spend about $2,000 more to fix it. Once I do I can get a 2nd Heed CanAmp. The following pic (click on the tumbnail to view full size) has me in tears.
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #1,220 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had one for about 4 months as a loaner waiting for my very own. Then I found rot (rust) on my Beetle so I returned it to fix my car. Then I go and get into an accident and now I have to spend about $2,000 more to fix it. Once I do I can get a 2nd Heed CanAmp. The following pic (click on the tumbnail to view full size) has me in tears.
frown.gif

ouch! bummer! you need to find a head-fi body shop - see if you can swap him some gear for unsquashing the bug.
blink.gif

good luck getting your baby spiffed.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #1,221 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dave
What are the differences between a maxxed out headamp gilmore v2 se, a Gilmore Lite w/DPS and a GS-1? I didn't notice it on the Headamp site.... did I miss it?
USG

the v2 was replaced by the gs-1 (my understanding, per justin, is that the v2 is essentially the same circuit as the gs-1 (just not as slick looking)). so take that circuit, add a stepped attenuator (still an option), upgrade to blackgate caps and silver wire (ttbomk neither is currently an option) and you have an amp that retailed for ~$1150 iirc, and tops either of the amps you mention.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #1,222 of 2,784
Quote:

any chance your amp could attend without you so that folks could compare the modded version to the stocker?

i dont know anyone who could take it there and return it back to me that is going to the meeting =\

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #1,223 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know anyone who could take it there and return it back to me that is going to the meeting =\

bummer. it'd be really interesting to hear how your hot rodded unit compares to a stocker. maybe you can set up a mini-meet sometime and post about it. i'm sure a whole bunch of folks here would like to hear about that comparo.

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #1,224 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just finished slogging through 61 pages of Heed CanAmp. 61 pages! Where do I collect my price? After spending the whole evening reading about Canamp, I've now joined the Team CanAmp (coming soon).
biggrin.gif
(curse you head-fi, etc. etc. A hex on you!)

I DO love my LD2+, I'm very much impressed by the sound the amp gives. But K701's are VERY source dependant and cable dependant and amp dependant and tube dependant so there are just too many factors for me to handle on the longer run. I'd like to have an amp that has synergy with K701's right from the start. With right tubes and right cables the LD2+ does sound excellent with K701's, as I've found out, so I'm going to take my time doing some comparisons and then decide which one to keep for good (hah) and which one I'm letting go.

blink.gif
i have 99% similar setup as yours except for the Cardas I/C. Imho the LD2+ does not synergize with K701, and in fact it performs badly. My K701 is well burn-in (800 hours and counting) though.

Please, do try pairing your K701 directly to your EMU analog breakout. You'll be surprised on how much details were compressed and lost on the LD2+. I sold off my LD2+ last week lolz.

p/s: My LD2+ has stock power tubes, CV4015s, and MWT W77s

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #1,225 of 2,784
Quote:

bummer. it'd be really interesting to hear how your hot rodded unit compares to a stocker. maybe you can set up a mini-meet sometime and post about it. i'm sure a whole bunch of folks here would like to hear about that comparo.

i for one am quite curious how a stock compares to the modded version, didnt listen to mine long enough before the mod bug bit me, also i doubt i would have remembered very well how it sounded before and after mods

according to alpar, i am the second person from australia with a canamp

spukee has one on the way

so that'd make 3 aussies, and let's see if he can keep it stock, the other canamp is unaccounted for, and if anyone bought used or relocated we can't follow that =\

don't know if spukee will receive his canamp before that meet

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #1,226 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i for one am quite curious how a stock compares to the modded version, didnt listen to mine long enough before the mod bug bit me, also i doubt i would have remembered very well how it sounded before and after mods

There will be another chance to compare the modded and stock canamp
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you're really curious, I can pop down when I get my own - which sadly won't make it to the meet in time (alpar's shipping mine this Saturday)
confused.gif

If you are willing, I can pick it up and drop it off to be included on the meet. Just PM me. Lad's canamp could have company. Only he will be able to tell the difference between the two though
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, do try pairing your K701 directly to your EMU analog breakout. You'll be surprised on how much details were compressed and lost on the LD2+. I sold off my LD2+ last week lolz.

I thought the K701 likes tubes?

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #1,227 of 2,784
Yeah I am getting the canamp within next few weeks and icting to mod it. But if there is no significant improvement i don't think it is worht the effort and money. Its all about the synergy bet ween components making this kind of simple topology sound so good. I wonder whether we disturb that balance?

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #1,228 of 2,784
Quote:

blink.gif
i have 99% similar setup as yours except for the Cardas I/C. Imho the LD2+ does not synergize with K701, and in fact it performs badly. My K701 is well burn-in (800 hours and counting) though.

p/s: My LD2+ has stock power tubes, CV4015s, and MWT W77s

I will do comparisons this evening, but with x-fi the difference was astounding, favoring the little dot setup. Perhaps 0404 has enough power to drive K701 straight (I have my doubts though..
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #1,229 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will do comparisons this evening, but with x-fi the difference was astounding, favoring the little dot setup. Perhaps 0404 has enough power to drive K701 straight (I have my doubts though..
smily_headphones1.gif
)

No, the 0404 does not have enough juice to bring the volume up to my usual listening level. I max out my ASIO strip and 0dB on my main mix. I'm not sure about you, but my ears told me that the 0404 has much better imaging, instrument separation and soundstage. But bass is seriously lacking on the EMU card.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #1,230 of 2,784
Quote:

No, the 0404 does not have enough juice to bring the volume up to my usual listening level. I max out my ASIO strip and 0dB on my main mix. I'm not sure about you, but my ears told me that the 0404 has much better imaging, instrument separation and soundstage. But bass is seriously lacking on the EMU card.

wow, clipping did not occur?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back