Heed CanAmp
Mar 19, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #1,232 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will do comparisons this evening, but with x-fi the difference was astounding, favoring the little dot setup. Perhaps 0404 has enough power to drive K701 straight (I have my doubts though..
smily_headphones1.gif
)

OK, I did some tests last weekend and this is a brief checklist I did while listening

The K701 straight from 0404 compared to LD2+ was

+ polite
+ non sibilant
- soundstage was almost the same
- the instrument separation was lost, instruments blend too much
- no highs and more importantly, no sparkle!
- dynamics weren't exactly compressed, but didn't achieve
- the presentation was dull and non inspiring

I'm not saying you didn't hear what you heard, and all this is IMO only, and subjective.
smily_headphones1.gif

Still, I'm expecting the Canamp to trounce on the LD2+, ofc...
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #1,233 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by spukee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lad's canamp could have company. Only he will be able to tell the difference between the two though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, what a privilege.
tongue.gif

I'm sure that we can make a setup that more people can compare mine vs d-cee's (the same cans, same source, the same song on repeat). I don't think I have required "golden ear", if we can reach some consensus - that could be of value.

Isn't it bummer, that spukee's will be shipped o Saturday. What a missed opportunity to do comparo on "out of box" vs 200+ hours stockers.
mad.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #1,234 of 2,784
sorry my net's been down since friday so i havent been able to contact spukee about getting my canamp to the meet

leeching net off a friend's at the moment so hopefully spukee will give me a call soon as today's my only real free day.

even if i am unable to make it hopefully we can have some comparissons between the canamps

i dont regret modding my canamp at all - was a great learning experience, but maybe at least we can prevent others from modding theirs in vain
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #1,239 of 2,784
you ruined the record! Another try from now on then... Anyway it´s born to fail I hope to get mine on friday... No time tomorrow to get it if it has arrived
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #1,241 of 2,784
dw if you compare how much the Prolines changed with burn in. Do the heed change as much?

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #1,242 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dw if you compare how much the Prolines changed with burn in. Do the heed change as much?

Well, since I also have both, I'll answer this too. I'd initially say no, not quite as dramatic a metamorphosis in that the CanAmp is quite impressive right out of the box, while the PROlines can sound rather schizophrenic at varying times during the process, as you know well by now.

But, upon further reflection, I'd also have to say yes, the shifts, while subtle, are ultimately similarly profound in their own way in terms of detail, micro-dynamics, and culminating finally with the advent of an almost holographic, three-dimensional presence in its presentation.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #1,244 of 2,784
im not sure whether or not it's a burn in thing or the DY2000 that i popped in

but last night, before packing my canamp up for the sydney meet i only intended to listen to one or two tracks, but this stretched out 2 hours
smily_headphones1.gif
i noticed so much better detail and bass and treble response and overall amp performance

this may well be the DY2000 op amp that's now in there, or my modded amp has finally passed the magical burn in mark (its verging in 500 hours) whatever it is, it's not placebo cos i listened to all my familiar tracks adn it was 2am in the morning and i was tired as a mofo and it sounded the best i've ever heard it

so yes, my heart is saddened by the fact i wont have the canamp for a few days but it's for the good of head-fi (and detrimental for wallets of the meet goers) but that's ok, distance makes the heart fonder i suppose
smily_headphones1.gif

will make me appreciate her more

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #1,245 of 2,784
Good news about DY2000. I'll definitely try popping one in after the meet (I should have one laying around after Zhaolu opamp roll)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back