Heed CanAmp
Feb 14, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #932 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice amp, is he kidding?

Well actually, Wayne, my CanAmp greeted me this morning with a bouquet of long-stemmed red roses and a box of Godiva chocolate hearts. So, yes, I'd consider that pretty f'n nice!
500000033.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #934 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by George Chronis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thanks a lot Dave and sorry about all the flaming you are about to get. I just wanted to get an idea of how far the Heed goes. I understand it's much less expensive than the GS-1.

George,

The GS-1 is $749. But the GS-1 includes a preamp output, loop out, 2 inputs selectable from a front panel switch, a high/ low gain switch and two headphone outputs. You get a lot of nice features with the price increase and the GS-1 is a fully discrete transistor design with no op amps in the signal path. The GS-1, per specs, also has a much lower noise floor.

Again, no criticism of the Heed which seems to be an excellent value. But the GS-1 is likely just as good a value but at a higher price point. However, if you dont need the extra features the Heed certainly looks like a winner at the $400 price point. Being eternally curious .... I hope to audition the Heed sometime soon.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #936 of 2,784
Earl, thanks for your input. You know it's very valuable to me. I figured that I would probably pay the extra $350 for the features of the GS-1, if the SQ was the same as the Heed or slightly better. I've been reading about this "3D" sound that separates 2 violins playing the same passage and I'd like to get an opinion on how the SQ of the GS-1 compares to the Heed.

I have a Heed on order already but I'm also thinking of buying the GS-1 if it's worth it. I'll eventually sell one of the two, just like I will most probably do with the Woo 6 and the Extreme. If the GS-1 SQ is not on par with the Heed's, I won't bother with the GS-1. I've read really nice things about the GS-1 but no comparissons between the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
George,

The GS-1 is $749. But the GS-1 includes a preamp output, loop out, 2 inputs selectable from a front panel switch, a high/ low gain switch and two headphone outputs. You get a lot of nice features with the price increase and the GS-1 is a fully discrete transistor design with no op amps in the signal path. The GS-1, per specs, also has a much lower noise floor.

Again, no criticism of the Heed which seems to be an excellent value. But the GS-1 is likely just as good a value but at a higher price point. However, if you dont need the extra features the Heed certainly looks like a winner at the $400 price point. Being eternally curious .... I hope to audition the Heed sometime soon.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #938 of 2,784
grr this thread is driving me nuts. ill probably pull the trigger on a canamp as soon as i get my tax return check. I havent had a chance to read through this entire thread but does anyone have any experience in comparison to the headroom desktop amp? I only found one opinion and that was like a three-way reference. also does anyone know what the current wait time is? noting that i probably wont get my check for another month it sounds like ill have to wait until may. maybe later?

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #939 of 2,784
Quote:

Earl, thanks for your input. You know it's very valuable to me. I figured that I would probably pay the extra $350 for the features of the GS-1, if the SQ was the same as the Heed or slightly better. I've been reading about this "3D" sound that separates 2 violins playing the same passage and I'd like to get an opinion on how the SQ of the GS-1 compares to the Heed.

I have a Heed on order already but I'm also thinking of buying the GS-1 if it's worth it. I'll eventually sell one of the two, just like I will most probably do with the Woo 6 and the Extreme. If the GS-1 SQ is not on par with the Heed's, I won't bother with the GS-1. I've read really nice things about the GS-1 but no comparissons between the two.

I have never heard the Heed so I cant offer a comparison and I dont like to speculate. But I have owned the GS-1 and I can say the amp was excellent. I also previously owned the V2-SE mentioned in a prior post .... and I think the GS-1 was an improvement over the V2-SE. But I just like tubes better than SS.

I did very much appreciate the features of the GS-1. I used the GS-1 as a preamp with excellent results. I always used the loop out to connect a second headamp from a single source. The gain switch was very handy to go from grados or preamp use to senn 600's or AKG 701's. I could hook up two sources and do comparisons .... and having the two headphone outputs was very useful for comparisons as well. Most importantly, the GS-1 sounds very even handed with good soundstaging, has excellent resolution and surprising dimensionality for a SS unit. From my perspective, I definitely got my moneys worth from the GS-1.

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #940 of 2,784
Quote:

Looking forward to the results of your shootout!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #941 of 2,784
Hi all,

Me gonna order a canamp from alpar cos there is no distro in my country.

Just got a few questions though:

-What's the preferred mode of payment(less hassle, safer), paypal or bank?
-What should I recieve from alpar prior to making payment(e.g. invoice etc)

Hope to get some assistance here....
Thanks in advance

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #942 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by fu01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Me gonna order a canamp from alpar cos there is no distro in my country.

Just got a few questions though:

-What's the preferred mode of payment(less hassle, safer), paypal or bank?
-What should I recieve from alpar prior to making payment(e.g. invoice etc)

Hope to get some assistance here....
Thanks in advance

Hello,

I've sent you PM!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #944 of 2,784
I'm planning on biting the bullet and buying a Canamp. My question is whether such an expensive amp is worth getting for my HD580 (600 grills and 650 cables)?

Another question I have is what (reasonably priced <$350) DAC would work with this setup? I plan on using my Computer as source through my X-Fi (bypass) --> DAC --> Heed Canamp --> 650s. Any ideas?

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #945 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on biting the bullet and buying a Canamp. My question is whether such an expensive amp is worth getting for my HD580 (600 grills and 650 cables)?

Another question I have is what (reasonably priced <$350) DAC would work with this setup? I plan on using my Computer as source through my X-Fi (bypass) --> DAC --> Heed Canamp --> 650s. Any ideas?

It's interesting that you're characterizing the CanAmp as "expensive", yet you're looking for a "reasonably" priced DAC for just about the same money.
tongue.gif

Naturally, your modified HD580 (sharing the same driver as the HD600) will benefit from an amp of the Heed's caliber, which punches well above its price-point. As such, it will serve you well into the next upgrade and beyond.

Your current set-up seems very similar to Wayne's, who has reported excellent synergy between the CanAmp and his HD650 and K701. I believe he uses a HeadRoom Micro DAC ($299). Hopefully, he'll be along shortly.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back