HEDDphone - Now Available for Pre-Order
Jan 6, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #48 of 114
Actually HEDD Audio spent the last 6 months doing just that, endless hours trying to shave off weight and improving the design. To my understanding, in the end they finally realised that the weight is absolutely vital to sonic performance and I applaud them, putting sonic virtues ahead of form. The speacial VVT AMT transducers weigh a fair amount, and the earpad has a certain width in order to achieve optimal soundstage. At least they're not like these Chinese companies using only plastic and calling it the best out there. Also I implore you to explain precisely what material is not high enough quality?! :astonished::hushed: It looks like a robust tank with stealth technology to me, and I personally had no qualms whatsoever even when trying and carrying around the initial prototype.

Coming from someone who's tried all the above including the HEDDphone, to me these outperform the LCD-4 in every way to the point they're not even in the same galaxy, and the Utopia by a large margin (better detail, extension and a more lifelike sound), not to mention all other flagships except the Orpheus and perhaps the Stax SR-007 and 009 (could be better than those Stax but would have to directly compare)
DecentLevi, I second all you state. I have had the chance to try out these headphones in real life several times, I can assure all of you that the Heddphones look and feel far less intimidating than the photos might suggest.
And the sound quality, although the one's I tried were still pre-production units, was very impressive to say the least.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #51 of 114
How do they stack up against Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC? I'm baffled as you're saying that they outperform the LCD-4 and Utopia. How is the bass compared to the LCD-4?
I hope they don't disappoint. I plan on running them on my Emotiva BasX A-100 once I get them. Will get a better amp later in the future.
For the comparison vs LCD4, I'm not quite qualified since I only heard that one very briefly, what I remember it just seemed too unbalanced with boomy bass and rolled off highs, but my memory could be playing tricks on me. The HEDDphone versus the Utopia both which I'vehear multiple times, seemed like the HEDDphone had a major edge on resolution and fine detail, AKA 'plankton' so to speak, with better bass, but let's just wait for a better comparison for someone who has spent more time with both.

The HEDDphone has a very distinctive sound. It's not electrostat and it's definitely not dynamic or planar, with at least the speed of e-stats and possibly the best ability to handle layering / instrument separation that I've ever heard, and treble that manages to be detailed, sweet and non-fatiguing even if it's modestly bright leaning. And for dynamics / slam yes it's in full effect and largely depending on quality of amp source.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #52 of 114
For the comparison vs LCD4, I'm not quite qualified since I only heard that one very briefly, what I remember it just seemed too unbalanced with boomy bass and rolled off highs, but my memory could be playing tricks on me. The HEDDphone versus the Utopia both which I'vehear multiple times, seemed like the HEDDphone had a major edge on resolution and fine detail, AKA 'plankton' so to speak, with better bass, but let's just wait for a better comparison for someone who has spent more time with both.

The HEDDphone has a very distinctive sound. It's not electrostat and it's definitely not dynamic or planar, with at least the speed of e-stats and possibly the best ability to handle layering / instrument separation that I've ever heard, and treble that manages to be detailed, sweet and non-fatiguing even if it's modestly bright leaning. And for dynamics / slam yes it's in full effect and largely depending on quality of amp source.

Thank you for the concise answer. What about against Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC?

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #53 of 114
Here you go ....

He even cuts his hair to fit the earpads better to his head. What if I shaved the sides of my head bald so the pads seal better ?

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #54 of 114
I would like to hear more on this assessment:
1. betula, have you demo'ed any of the prototypes? If so, which parts do you see as "a lot of plastic for the price" and not enough [fill in the blank] wood, leather, etc.? One could look at a Senn HD800 and see a lot of plastic as well, but I think it's put to pretty good use. I love my Audi cars, and they've got a fair bit of plastic in and around them as well, also put to good use.
2. "DIY speakers" is based on what? There's no question the AMT transducers could be thought of as DIY, inasmuch as HEDD claims they hand-build each one. But that's the kind of craftsmanship I don't mind paying for, so long as it's not at the sacrifice of QC. None of the pics look DIY to me.
3. What is a "proper headphone design" in your opinion? I look at my collection of headphones, ranging from Darths to the SR1a, and not a one of them looks like the other. Which of them is "proper"? If anything, the chamber demands of the AMT driver that DecentLevi mentioned may necessitate this design, and it may be viewed as just as "proper" as anything else. I am sure Abyss could tell me the merits of their design and why it is quite proper, though I currently believe otherwise.
4. You may be correct in this assessment: "But being one of the heaviest options out there won't help." Personally, I doubt it. Weight did not seem to impede Audez'e's success, and with a price tag of half of the LCD-4, the early impressions of the HEDD suggest a real potential upside of success [if they can meet demand].

Not trying to flame or flame-bait here. I am genuinely curious where these assessments originate. I am asking because, when I look at the little bits of info we have so far [mostly marketing and a few impressions], the design appears reasonably "clean," and the technology seems intriguing. I acknowledge design is often a matter of personal taste. For example, I find the Abyss TC preposterously ugly and ungainly, but that's just me, and it's kept me from enjoying a headphone that I agree sounds marvelous. Others find the SR1a's appearance quite odd. Unlike DecentLevi, I haven't had the opportunity to see, feel, or hear the HEDD in person. It's not clear to me if you have. But until any of us does, we're all just speculating. [And that includes me.]
1, I don't think plastic is a good choice of material on expensive products. I understand, it is for saving weight, but doesn't feel premium. Neither on the HD800, nor on the Audi. Some other high-end headphones managed to stay around 400g without using a lot of plastic. (I know, the new type of driver is heavy.)
2, By DIY I meant the design is dead simple and bulky. No offence, but a kid would draw something like this if they were asked to draw a headphone. Also the 90 degrees mini XLR connector is unpractical, it should be angled for comfort and easing potential strain on the cable.
3, A proper headphone design IMO is practical, comfortable and attractive. Sure, look is subjective but put the HEDDphone next to the Empyrean or HEKSE or Utopia and tell me the design of Heddphone could not have been better objectively.
4, Audeze made its success with the LCD2 ten years ago. There was hardly anything around to compete with. Since then a lot of new headphones and manufacturers came out with equally good sound and a much lighter weight. I know many people who won't buy LCD4 due to its weight, even though they like the sound. Audeze realised this too and they are working on new driver structures (LCD24) to loose weight but not sound quality.

Let me repeat, I am very happy to see new technology in this hobby and I am excited to hear this headphone. I just think it is not enough to have fantastic sound on today's headphone market, you have to invest in material and design too, especially if the price is closer to 2K than 1K.
I am waiting for impressions and comparisons for now, but the information out there suggests soundstage and imaging is where the HEDDphone stands out.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #55 of 114
@betula thanks. Appreciate your sharing your perspectives. There's a lot on which we agree [though I would note that, if—and that's a big "if"the HEDD hits the SQ target of cans in the 3-5k range with what amounts to a new deployment of technology, then perhaps its first effort shouldn't be compared to cans in the 1-2k range].

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #56 of 114
I too demand that they give this thing all-metal construction AND reduce the weight by half! While they're at it, they should lower the price by a thousand bucks and re-design to fit my own personal taste. It is outrageous to think that a company simultaneously releasing their first ever headphone and a new transducer type hasn't perfected it on the first iteration! So much for engineering! And don't get me started on how they had to push back the release date just like every other company ever!

:rolling_eyes:

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #57 of 114
I too demand that they give this thing all-metal construction AND reduce the weight by half! While they're at it, they should lower the price by a thousand bucks and re-design to fit my own personal taste. It is outrageous to think that a company simultaneously releasing their first ever headphone and a new transducer type hasn't perfected it on the first iteration! So much for engineering! And don't get me started on how they had to push back the release date just like every other company ever!

I get your point and I admit I might have been too harsh. But so is the market. With my slightly harsher words I wanted to push HEDDphone to succeed long term and not to sink as one of the interesting innovations that couldn't really make it. Only time will tell I guess.

As much as new technology is intriguing to the same extent 700g is disappointing.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #58 of 114

:clap:We need a BALB [Big Ass Laugh Button] for posts like this. "Like" is a tad tame.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #59 of 114
@betula thanks. Appreciate your sharing your perspectives. There's a lot on which we agree [though I would note that, if—and that's a big "if"the HEDD hits the SQ target of cans in the 3-5k range with what amounts to a new deployment of technology, then perhaps its first effort shouldn't be compared to cans in the 1-2k range].
I have just seen your edited response.

Of course, at this point we are pretty much guessing where the HEDDphone competes. If it is truly a flagship killer or just an alternative in the 1-2K price range.
We need to be patient I guess, but from 'resolve reviews' first impressions (he seems like a relatively trustworthy guy) it seems the HEDDphone doesn't quite reach the resolution of Utopia, doesn't quite offer the bass slam of LCD4, but it is on par if not succeeding the legendary soundstage and imaging of the HD800(S).
I am a bass connoisseur, so the Empyrean is already somewhat a small compromise on bass slam and impact versus the LCD4. Otherwise I prefer the mids and treble of the Meze flagship versus Audeze. Focal headphones are too harsh for me in treble and a bit lean in bass.
From what 'resolve reviews' said the HEDDphone is probably not for me, although I am sure I would appreciate the headstage and imaging which I actually really enjoyed with the HD800S.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #60 of 114
Of course, at this point we are pretty much guessing where the HEDDphone competes.
I'm sure you are guessing since you're being far, far too critical of a headphone you haven't touched or heard yet. I have, I don't care about the plastic, it's quality, the whole thing feels sturdy and comfort is about average, so not bad overall(I don't have issues wearing LCD-4 for a whole day). Even on my big head the fit was just fine. The sound quality far exceeds the price tag considering the vast majority of 2K headphones are pretty mediocre at best. HEDD will be a keeper for sure.

The only thing they have messed up is this product launch. I don't get it, is it out yet officially? Headphones.com has it on preorder and for the past three days it's available in 20 hours, no official information if they started shipping, why, what or where yet dealers have started charging for something no one knows when it will be ready. Could be February for all we know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back