1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by bugstone, May 7, 2019.
First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last
  1. jmills8
    Thxs

2. Pale Rider Contributor
    Well put. Hopefully, the pre-orders get fulfilled ASAP, and we can start sharing listening impressions from extended sessions in known listening environments.

DecentLevi and Narayan23 like this.
  3. jude Administrator
    We received a pre-production demo of the HEDD HEDDphone at Head-Fi HQ and did some preliminary measurements. I'm calling these "preliminary" because these measurements are averaged from only two different seatings (we'll do more later). I should note that the despite the two seatings being done by two different people (me and @AxelCloris) -- and the fact that two different headband size settings were used -- the measurements were virtually identical.

HEDD_HEDDphone_Measurements_Frequency_Response_PRELIMINARY.jpg
    Figure 1 (above). HEDD Audio HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) frequency response.

Here's the HEDD Audio HEDDphone versus the Harman AE (Around Ear) / OE (On Ear) Target:

HEDD_HEDDphone_Measurements_Frequency_Response_PRELIMINARY_and_Harman_AE-OE_Target.jpg
    Figure 2 (above). HEDD Audio HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) frequency response compared to the Harman AE/OE Target.

HEDD_HEDDphone_Measurements_THD_PRELIMINARY.jpg
    Figure 3 (above). HEDD HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) total harmonic distortion (THD).

With respect to THD (Figure 3 above), we especially want to do more seatings, as there was quite a bit of noise outside our office when we were measuring -- with the Herzan isolation enclosure, the effect (if any) would be mostly in the low frequencies. Even as-is, though, those THD measurements are very impressive, in my opinion, especially through the midband and treble. It's <0.02% through much of the midrange and <0.1% through most of the treble (to 10 kHz).

It took around 290 mVrms for the HEDDphone to reach 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz. The Sennheiser HD650, in comparison, required about 196 mVrms to do the same; and the HIFIMAN SUSVARA requires around 1034 mVrms.

I'll post subjective impressions later. I'll say this now, though: The HEDDphone is a very impressive, very resolving headphone.

The measurements in this post were made using:
    The Harman AE/OE Target plot data was provided courtesy of Sean Olive, Harman International, Northridge, CA, USA.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    BrowChan, dsrk, Pokemonn and 24 others like this.
  4. Thenewguy007
    So it's in the realm of planars for needing a lot of wattage in amplification.
    How much does the Hifiman HE-6 & Susvara need again? Anyone know?

5. Bonddam
    I power my he6se with 4 watts on my gsx mini and 200 watts off mt emotiva xpa 7.

klyrish likes this.
  6. jude Administrator
    The HIFIMAN SUSVARA we measured required 1034 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz.

EDIT 2020-01-06 14:45 EST: We just re-ran the SUSVARA, and it was 1034 mVrms (1.034 Vrms) to get to 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz. Sorry for my mistake.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Whitigir likes this.
  7. Pale Rider Contributor
    I like the sound of that! :)

8. nunovpc
    Great news. True impressions about the hedd asap!

9. Dealux
    Seem to rise a little late at the 3K peak but maintains a good level after that (the Sennheiser stuff sounds thin due to drop-off after 3K). High treble is a bit high too.

THD doesn't really mean anything. It's a bit high in some areas compared to some planars but who knows how it actually performs. I just wish this was LCD 4 levels of detail. I'm already kinda set on that as my next purchase if this can't quite touch the LCD 4.

Cat Music and Khronos like this.
  10. Khronos

How does the Hedd compare to the Susvara?

11. Pale Rider Contributor
    See previous post.

12. Hifiearspeakers
    It’s not that power hungry. 2.5 watts at 42 ohms should be more than enough to get plenty loud.

The Susvara and HE6 are MUCH harder to drive.

13. emlin
    And sensitivity? That doesn't come into the equation?

14. Hifiearspeakers
    It’s listed at 87 db’s.

15. emlin
    But you didn't list it as a parameter. And it's as important as the others, which are also listed.

First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last