HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Aug 25, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #2,686 of 4,472
Pictures [excuse the mess on the basement floor and the hurriedness of these shots]:

IMG_20200824_191152267.jpgIMG_20200824_191202553.jpgIMG_20200824_191219568.jpgIMG_20200824_191229594.jpg

Link to HeadphoneLounge:

https://headphonelounge.com/

just wondering why do you need speaker amps? Does your headamp not powerful enough to drive the heddphone? I know its hard to drive but I'm just wondering. Just thinking also if it is beneficial or there is an improvement.

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,688 of 4,472
just wondering why do you need speaker amps? Does your headamp not powerful enough to drive the heddphone? I know its hard to drive but I'm just wondering. Just thinking also if it is beneficial or there is an improvement.

For me, the decision to use an integrated [power] amp was chiefly economical, and given that the HEDDphone are hard to drive.

My options were:
[1] Spend $2500+ on a worthy headphone amp, or [2] simply use an integrated power amplifier [the $699 Qinpu A-1.0X] that I already have on hand.

An added benefit is that a single amplifier maybe used to drive both outboard speakers [e.g. connected via spades] and the HEDDphone [e.g. connected via bananas], provided that you have multi-way binding posts.

NOTE: the Qinpu is sonically very neutral and "solid state" in its delivery. Coupled with the also neutral HEDDphone, you get neutral to another order of magnitude. I might try the Dussun T6 later. A good tube amplifier might work even better.

Oh Boy! The "upgrade path" looms large [and steep] once again!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,689 of 4,472
For me, the decision to use an integrated [power] amp was chiefly economical, and given that the HEDDphone are hard to drive.
Spend $2500+ on a worthy headphone amp, or [2] simply use an integrated power amplifier [the $699 Qinpu A-1.0X] that I already have on hand.
An added benefit is that a single amplifier maybe used to drive both outboard speakers [e.g. connected via spades] and the HEDDphone [e.g. connected via bananas], provided that you have multi-way binding posts.

NOTE: the Qinpu is sonically very neutral and "solid state" in its delivery. Coupled with the also neutral HEDDphone, you get neutral to another order of magnitude. I might try the Dussun T6 later. A good tube amplifier might work even better.

Oh Boy! The "upgrade path" looms large [and steep] once again!

[/QUOTE

i see. now i understand. ill pm u next time for the speaker tap..thanks for the reply.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,690 of 4,472
[1]
You are very welcome.
Keep us HEDD-threaders up-to-date with your power amp goings on.
: )

[2]
Ongoing thanks to the good folks at HEDD for making a truly breakthrough product [the HEDDphone] available to us budget-minded headio-philes. I haven't had this much fun since the original HE-6 were released. But I will be quick to note that [IMHO] the HEDDphone better even the venerable HE-6, particularly in the treble response department.

"Danke schoen", A-GAIN!

[Wayne Newton. I couldn't resist, again.]

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,691 of 4,472

You definitely don't need to drop 2.5k for a "worthy" amp. Something like the Topping A90 has plenty of power and is shown to be transparent both in noise/distortion and a ruler flat frequency response beyond the range of human hearing. It does what IMO, an amplifier should do: amplifies the signal being output to the headphone without messing with it.

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #2,693 of 4,472
objective performance seekers often fail to recognize (and experience) the subtle refinements of high-end kit. @pataburd is no such audiophile. clearly, he has heard the magic present in higher end amps, be it slight euphony, attack/decay characteristics, or enhanced dynamics.

it can be wonderful to hear a piece like this, but often times very expensive. and the measurements aren't going to wow you like the THX AAA amps will. the 'romantic' and 'emotional' sound will.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,694 of 4,472
Listening to Nubya Garcia's new (and highly recommendable) album "SOURCE" - the HEDDphone doesn't have the most 'fun' (a little subbass bump helps) signature and the (excellent) technicalities aren't that important for musical enjoyment in the end (though it is fun to specifically listen for them from time to time) but, man, they do still make the music come alive in a way nothing else i have listened to so far competes with...

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,695 of 4,472
objective performance seekers often fail to recognize (and experience) the subtle refinements of high-end kit. @pataburd is no such audiophile. clearly, he has heard the magic present in higher end amps, be it slight euphony, attack/decay characteristics, or enhanced dynamics.

it can be wonderful to hear a piece like this, but often times very expensive. and the measurements aren't going to wow you like the THX AAA amps will. the 'romantic' and 'emotional' sound will.
It’s not budget, but the Chord TT2 is awesome for it’s transparency! Dac/amp in one powerful package, provides the Heddphones 2 watts single-ended (which is enough to get to 120dB with plenty of current) and 8 watts from the rear XLR balanced if you want to use it.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,700 of 4,472
Standalone picture of the 4-pin XLR-to-bananas adapter built by Ted Allen:

IMG_20200826_195142207[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back