HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #2,716 of 4,480
mendye,
Getting back to the question(s) you raised earlier:

One of the HEDDphone's chief strengths is, I believe, timbral realism. The stock cable [OFC copper] can sound--at least to my ears--thin, edgy, metallic and flat.

This evening, I listened to orchestral music [an Arthur Fielder compilation] with three different cables: [1] 4x 22 AWG solid Neotech UPOCC copper, [2] 4x 28 AWG solid Neotech UPOCC silver + 4x 24 AWG solid Neotech UPOCC copper, and [3] 4x 24 AWG T2 UPOCC stranded silver. [I haven't touched the stock cable in weeks.] The virtually all-string rendition of "The Syncopated Clock" probably sounded the most timbrally intact/right to me with the all-silver cable.

[My "dream cable" for the HEDD would be 4x 22 AWG solid core Neotech UPOCC silver. Costly, though, and would practically signal a lifelong commitment to the HEDDphone.]

The HEDDphone were driven single-ended by a 1 Watt hybrid amp:: 3x 6SN7 tube stage with 2x Toshiba SK5923 MosFET output stage. Silver does make a difference to my ears. My source was a Sony BDP-S780 fully modded by Ric Schultz at Electronic Visionary Systems some years back [still an excellent disc player].

Tubes can make a significant difference in perceived timbre, as well. Compared with the [ss] S.M.S.L. SP-200 THX AAA 888, I would give the edge to the hybrid amp, but to be fair, I should run the HEDDphone with the S.M.S.L. and do a more proximate a/b comparison later on. In addition, I feel that the THX amp drives my ADX5000 better-- a lot better, timbre- and otherwise, than it does the HEDDphone.

Another thing to consider would be your source; in fact it should be among our primary considerations. Plus, the number of hours on your HEDDphone. Cables and ancillaries come into play, too, due to the transparent/revealing nature of the HEDD. [Hope I am not insulting your intelligence.]

Caveat: You may have a highly discriminating ear that perceives things that my, or others', ears cannot.

pataburd

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2,718 of 4,480
Mendy,
Getting back to the question(s) you raised earlier:

One of the HEDDphone's chief strengths is, I believe, timbral realism. The stock cable [OFC copper] can sound--at least to my ears--thin, edgy, metallic and flat.

This evening, I listened to orchestral music [an Arthur Fielder compilation] with three different cables: [1] 4x 22 AWG solid Neotech UPOCC copper, [2] 4x 28 AWG solid Neotech UPOCC silver + 4x 24 AWG solid Neotech UPOCC copper, and [3] 4x 24 AWG T2 UPOCC stranded silver. [I haven't touched the stock cable in weeks.] The virtually all-string rendition of "The Syncopated Clock" probably sounded the most timbrally intact/right with the all-silver cable.

The HEDDphone were driven single-ended by a 1 Watt hybrid amp:: 3x 6SN7 tube stage with 2x Toshiba SK5923 MosFET output stage. Silver does make a difference to my ears. My source was a Sony BDP-S780 fully modded by Ric Schultz at Electronic Visionary Systems some years back [still an excellent disc player].

Tubes can make a significant difference in perceived timbre, as well. Compared with the [ss] S.M.S.L. SP-200 THX AAA 888, I would give the edge to the hybrid amp, but to be fair, I should run the HEDDphone with the S.M.S.L. and do a more proximate a/b comparison later on. In addition, I feel that the THX amp drives my ADX5000 better, timbre- and otherwise, than it does the HEDDphone.

Another thing to consider would be your source; in fact it should be among our primary considerations. Plus, the number of hours on your HEDDphone. Cables and ancillaries come into play, too, due to the transparent/revealing nature of the HEDD. [Hope I am not insulting your intelligence.]

Caveat: You may have a highly discriminating ear that perceives things that my, or others', ears cannot.

pataburd
Thanks for the info!!
Btw I also own a hd 540 reference 1 600 ohm version (a very rare headphone) and its known to have AMAZING timbre and realism!!!
U have to hear it yourself to see!!
So I think I have a bit of knowledge about timbre.
But I’ll definitely take your word regarding the cables.
I’m actually right now closing an order with ted.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2,719 of 4,480
mendye,
What are you getting, if you don't mind our asking?
Report back to us for sure.
The validity of changing/upgrading cables is a hotly contested issue on these [now literally] August threads.
Thank you for keeping us in the loop!
[Waylon Jennings, "Belle of the Ball" plays on Tidal Masters as we adjourn. The ADX5000/SMSL SP-200 is a scrumptious pairing in these wee hours.]

pataburd

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #2,720 of 4,480
Mendeye,
What are you getting, if you don't mind our asking?
Report back to us for sure.
The validity of changing/upgrading cables is a hotly consisted issue on these [now literally] August threads.
Thank you for keeping us in the loop!
[Waylon Jennings, "Belle of the Ball" plays on Tidal Masters as we adjourn. The ADX5000/SMSL SP-200 is a scrumptious pairing in these wee hours.]

pataburd
Oops 😬 I just paid for it..
What I got was a copper and silver cable, both balanced.
From ted allen

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #2,721 of 4,480
Welcome to "The BrotherHEDD of the Re-Cabled"!
Repeat after us: "I, Mendye770, do solemnly swear . . . "
Now you are obligated to share your findings with us.
: )

["hotly contested" not "hotly consisted" BTW--sounds more like oatmeal than a dispute]

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #2,723 of 4,480
Welcome to "The BrotherHEDD of the Re-Cabled"!
Repeat after us: "I, Mendye770, do solemnly swear . . . "
Now you are obligated to share your findings with us.
: )
Will gladly do when I get them.
And I’m definitely looking forward to relaying good news about them!!

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,728 of 4,480
The HEDDphone play well with my 1W tube/hybrid headphone amplifier. They matched better still with the Qinpu [solid state] A-1.0X integrated, straight from the speaker outputs. My guess--like yours--is that the HEDDphone will potentially sound even better driven by a capable all-tube amp. This was the logic behind my recent purchase of the Sophie Electric [all-tube] integrated.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #2,729 of 4,480
Hooked the ecp DSHA-3F/Ravenswood back up with the HEDDphone (42 ohm/86 dB/wW). Volume at 2:30. Soundstage is very large, 3D and airy. Treble and midrange are beautifully detailed, clear and nuanced. Bass is extended and well-defined, but a bit "soft" and reticent, just lacking that concreteness, that ultimate solidity, that would make the music-scape impeccable.

[teknorob23 4x 22 AWG Neotech UPOCC solid copper cable]
IMG_20200829_192828561[1].jpg

IMG_20200829_192839911[1].jpg

[On the other hand, the ADX5000 (420 ohm/100 dB/mW) are driven nigh to sonic perfection by the ecp. Volume at 10:15.]

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,730 of 4,480
Hooked the ecp DSHA-3F back up with the HEDDphone (42 ohm/86 dB/wW). Volume at 2:30. Soundstage is very large, 3D and airy. Treble and midrange are beautifully detailed, clear and nuanced. Bass is extended and well-defined, but a bit "soft" and reticent, just lacking that concreteness, that ultimate solidity, that would make the music-scape impeccable.

[On the other hand, the ADX5000 (420 ohm/100 dB/mW) are driven nigh to sonic perfection by the ecp. Volume at 10:15.]
Interesting. I’ve seen this opinion of the 3F ==> Hedd pairing a couple times. So I decided to do a focused comparison 3F/Hedd vs LP/Hedd vs Audio-gd Master 11/Hedd. Note that the 3F & LP were sourced by my A2 Gumby and the AGD-M11used it’s internal DAC.

Bottom line, I agree, given the Amorphous transformers. w/ Nickel it’s not so clear-cut.

w/ Amorphous core transformers the AGDM11 clearly ‘out-grunts’ the 3F, as well as my LP w/ Brimar CV-2492s. Those are the ‘open/airy/bright’-est configurations of those amps. LP w/ Siemens NOS tubes get really close to the AGD — close enough that I would struggle to prefer one over the other. 3F w/ Nickel core transformers doesn’t move as far, but I wouldn’t call the pairing bass-lite or deficient.

I’m surprised at your reported volume setting for 3F ==> Hedd. From my Gumby I’m at 12:00 and then attenuating 7 - 10 dB on my preamp.That’s the least attenuation for any of my cans. By comparison, I attenuate Utopia 25 - 30 dB — I never mess with volume on my amps — just attenuate on preamp. I wonder if your source is lower voltage than Gumby (4.0 Vrms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back