Headphones with THE biggest bass
Mar 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

Luv My BASS 1

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some headphones that have utterly enormous bass, that is fast, deep and BIG. However, if there is anything that I hate more than a headphone with insufficient bass, it is a headphone that muddies up the other frequencies with the bass. I will be driving these through an iPhone 5 with a Fiio E6 amp, listening to mainly 320kbs music. Two
main headphones that I am considering right now are the vmoda M100 and Sony XB1000, with the budget set around $350. I am also willing to upgrade my amp if need be (considering the ZO2 to fill the slot). Any other suggestions?

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 91
I've tried the xb500, and while they did have a nice bass, I agree that they do sound quite bad otherwise. I've actually heard that the d2000/5000 are pretty good, but slightly outside my price range. However, I think that they will need something more powerful than a tiny E6 to be powered sufficiently. Will the ZO2 be good?

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 91
I have the xb500 and the bass bleeds into the mids. The denons sound too hard for edm (for me).

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 91
Has anyone heard the XB1000? I've heard that they are quite good for edm and hip hop, with very little bass bleed, as a result of the giant 70mm drivers. I'm also considering the Ultrasone Pro 900, But Ive heard that they mids and highs sound very metallic and "fake"

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 91
Any headphone with "utterly enormous bass" will seem muddy.

It's not because the headphone can't create clear mids and highs while delivering a massive bass response, its because the human ear can't properly distinguish the higher frequencies when there's too much low end going on.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 91
I don't think there's a better headphone than the Ultrasone Pro 900's for your requirements. A lot of people don't like them because the sound signature is far from neutral, but if you want bass, they're great. And the detail is much better than a typical bass head headphone's.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 91
Besides the Pro900, there's also the Q40. With proper hardware EQ they reach crazy bass levels, and it doesn't affect overall sound quality. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 91
Hey! We were just discussing this! I was looking for the same thing. Here is a list of the MOST INSANE Basshead Headphones as voted by the good folks in the Basshead Club (who better?). These have the highest ratios of Amplitude and Quality. Enjoy. I personally just bought the Signature DJ's based on the recommendation from that thread. You should definitely check it out. 

Most Insane (Currently Available) Basshead 'phones (not in any order):

1. M-Audio Q40
2. Ultrasone Pro 900
3. Vmoda M-100
4. Sony XB 700 
5. Nuforce HP800
6. Ultrasone Signature DJ 

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 91
Quote:
Hey! We were just discussing this! I was looking for the same thing. Here is a list of the MOST INSANE Basshead Headphones as voted by the good folks in the Basshead Club (who better?). These have the highest ratios of Amplitude and Quality. Enjoy. I personally just bought the Signature DJ's based on the recommendation from that thread. You should definitely check it out. 

I would be very interested in the Signature DJ if it didn't cost $1,184....used....
I auditioned the XB700 at a Sony store a while back, and I recall the bass being of the one-note-thump variety, lacking in texture. the mids and highs lacked some detail as well.
From what I've heard, the Ultrasone Pro 900 have metallic sounding mids, and sibliant highs, not my thing, espically for acoustic genres
The VModa M100 sound intrigueing, but many have complained about the comfort level

As of now, I'm very interested in the Nuforce HP800 and the MAudio Q40, but worried that they will be a downgrade from the Vmoda M80s that I am selling due to their lack of bass, and being very uncomfortable.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 91
Just heard from several reputable sources that the Denon D5000 has crappy isolation. And the search begins again.

UPDATE
anyone heard about the AKG K267 or Sony XB900? these 2 are relatively new, with little buzz surrounding them, but they might be just my thing

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 91
I'll also chime in on the XB500s... with a little EQ you can really make them sing. With bass-heavy genres they do a better job then my Denon D7000s. I also would not pay $473 for a pair of D2000s, I paid $160 back when they were in production and didn't feel they were worth that. In comparison the Ultrasone HFI-780 excels with anything electronic, PRO900 are cleaner but require an amp.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 91
Quote:

From what I've heard, the Ultrasone Pro 900 have metallic sounding mids, and sibliant highs, not my thing, espically for acoustic genres

That happens when they are used without the proper equipment. They also need burn in time. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 91
Quote:

I would be very interested in the Signature DJ if it didn't cost $1,184....used....
I auditioned the XB700 at a Sony store a while back, and I recall the bass being of the one-note-thump variety, lacking in texture. the mids and highs lacked some detail as well.
The VModa M100 sound intrigueing, but many have complained about the comfort level

As of now, I'm very interested in the Nuforce HP800 and the MAudio Q40, but worried that they will be a downgrade from the Vmoda M80s that I am selling due to their lack of bass, and being very uncomfortable.

I hear you. I never set out to spend that much... It's something that just seems to happen around here... 
tongue.gif

FWIW, I "only" paid $999.00 for mine at BHPhoto.com and yes, they do have a 30 day return policy with full refund. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 91
I think you'd have to try the Pro 900's out for yourself to see if they fit your requirements. Some people don't like them, but some people really do. It's a pretty controversial headphone in that respect. But I had the XB700 too and didn't like it that much. The Pro 900's have much more detail and texture to the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back