Headphones that give best mix translation.
Jun 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 24

That KRK graph is an absolute joke. There is 100% no way it's accurate! The graph makes them out to be like the SRH-750DJ or something, which they are not. Not even remotely.

BTW the 8400 falls into the category of "a super nice pair of cans"
normal_smile%20.gif

IMO they're detail monsters and even more so than my K702. Clearest sounding headphone I've heard in a long time.

Here's that graph. Ugh, makes me sick. Headroom seriously needs to send this headphone back for a redo of it's graph. Maybe KRK made some changes after I bought mine? Doubt it!

Quote:
I read their review and that's what almost made me buy them.  But I'm not too sure about their curves because according to them, my m50's have slightly better bass than any of those AKG's. For a laugh look at the curve of the KNS-8400's yet even they claim the are very neutral.  Oh well.  One day I will own a super nice pair of cnas, until then, the KRK's will have to do so I can get a better set of monitors.  How long have you been mastering because I will be owning Ozone 4 and was wondering if you have experience with it?

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
Good choice! I didn't see your earlier post and that is what I would have suggested. The new KRK headphones are some of my favorite closed  headphones by far. I now only have the 6400, but it's still quite good and not such a huge downgrade from the 8400.

Just as a warning, the 8400 do need a few hours of burn-in out of the box if you haven't received them yet. They totally transformed within the first 3 days. I'm sure they'll still sound great out of the box.

I'm still looking to get the Shure SRH-940 just to compare the KRKs with something decent that's closed.

BTW you should let us all know what you think of them when you get them. It seems very few reviews of them are online unfortunately.

Will do!  I will do my best to be as descriptive as possible.  My ears hear up to 15kHz on my daily hearing exercises now so I lost a bit but I think overall I can do a fair review on them.  I should receive everything from the 20th-24th and start school on the 27th so I will try to do my best to do a periodical review as the cans and my ears break in to them. Is there a way to add audio to threads, maybe I can do a compare and contrast mix to show what I achieved with mixing with cans and then my VXT's.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
So you think the KRK RP8's G2 are not professional? I thought they would be a significant upgrade from my Behringer B2031A "pro" studio monitors.  The B2031A's color the crap out of everything even though they boast about having a flat FR.  I added the VXT8's to my cart but man they put me about $200 over budget.  I'm looking to get some monitors good enough for mixing for myspace or home made albums and writing music, and Cans that can be powered by my fast track pro/VRM box and allow me to waste less time going back and forth checking late night headphone mixes to my monitors and from monitors to headphones.  Unfortunately I'm not doing mixes/mastering for commercial radio so I can't afford Genelec's (yet) and I need some closed or semi closed so I can track vocals in my closet and mix them late at night while the kids and wife are sleeping but will make my mixes translate well to my monitors, then ultimately pass the boombox/TV/car check.

I think the KRKs will do the job! I used to have Rokit 6s and they were great as far as I remember
(I also had tried Mackies MR5 but I decided to stay with Tapco S5 monitors... even though they were like a side
company of Mackies, I thought their monitors sounded better to my ears untrained ears!)

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 24
if you can amp them i suggest looking into either a pair of good condition akg 240 sextetts LP's or DF's. i have the sextetts LP and i have to say i think they sound about completely flat and are not forgiving in a bad recording or a recording with boosted frequencies too much and has amazing clarity and detail.. people i see around here say the treble is light and tiny but if you drive these with enough force the treble will come in clear as day and can extend really well and in some recordings sound very bright and tell the treble was overdone. thing is they might lack some bass impact compared to modern headphones but i feel they have enough bass for my taste so they might not be perfect for bass monitoring. they are very very good for tracking midrange and highs tho and can be very transparent and tell when something was done wrong.

i never heard the 701's so i can't comment on them.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Well I think with all your help I have decided to go with just the KRK-KNS 8400's along with VXT 8's for now and save money as I go to get some nicer closed back headphones paired with a better HP amp and D/AC.  I will definitely keep up on these boards and do more research. I'm sure there will be newer cans and amps when I'm ready to buy.  I'm glad I asked you guys before I bought the Q701's because now I can afford better monitors along with efficient enough cans(I know, not a good phrase here on this forum) that work for me now.

You've ask for best mix translation...better to stay with the M-50 (for tracking) and just add an open hps to mix with. To get the KRK-KNS 8400 in your system is like to get the second (Crappy) Behringer for the second time.

About the studio speakers monitors... I see your targeting the 8 inch area, for small and medium rooms size the 8 inch monitors can be to much,  and this means that your speaker will not open up, and you'll not get even half of the speaker potential. I have the KRK V8 fist generation, and most of the time I prefer the Adam audio A7.

If your working with PC desktop, I'll highly recommend to get a used RME pci Interface card, and a headfive hps amp. You can get both for around $300 used, and this will be x10 times better compare to the Fast Track pro.

BTW, I do hope you save some money to get room acoustic treatments.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
You've ask for best mix translation...better to stay with the M-50 (for tracking) and just add an open hps to mix with. To get the KRK-KNS 8400 in your system is like to get the second (Crappy) Behringer for the second time.

About the studio speakers monitors... I see your targeting the 8 inch area, for small and medium rooms size the 8 inch monitors can be to much,  and this means that your speaker will not open up, and you'll not get even half of the speaker potential. I have the KRK V8 fist generation, and most of the time I prefer the Adam audio A7.

If your working with PC desktop, I'll highly recommend to get a used RME pci Interface card, and a headfive hps amp. You can get both for around $300 used, and this will be x10 times better compare to the Fast Track pro.

BTW, I do hope you save some money to get room acoustic treatments.

Indeed I did, for wedge, pyramid, corner blocks, corner traps,and roof treatment. I had to buy new monitors, cans, Pro Tools crossgrade, Reason/record duo teacher student, recycle, axiom pro 61, power center,  the VRM box, and all my books and materials for Berklee Online.  All for under $3,500.  I have read so many good things about the KRK and my best friend, who I was the Chief Engineer at Crush Recording Studio before me, uses them and says they sound better than my m50's.  Like I said before, my m50's are broken, they don't hold their form. What would make you say that btw?  Are they over bright?  Too much Bass?  I've read that they have good lows but even more impressive mids, and after a lot of break in the Highs are not as harsh.  I need a new everyday set but didn't want the m50's again as they began to hurt my ears not only with the sound but with the pressure on my ears. 

I use Mac but I want to save up for a Mac Pro, PreSonus Studio Live 16, a sub, and have an actual dedicated room for audio but like Johny Cash said "one piece at a time".  My room is about  14' x  8' so not super small but not a proper control room.  I took my Behringer's to crush and they didn't really open up either; and by that, I mean they lost their punch and low end.  But at home they boom and sparkle(sometimes stab the ear drum), they just lie when I take it to the boombox/TV/car. I also didn't mean they "over" color because I have done mixes on them and they came out pretty good(while in Crush Studio). I'm just really pissed at them because the right speaker is now crackling, and the left one keeps turning off then pops on even though power save is off.  I hooked up my buddies KRK RP5's and no problem.  I have always heard Behringers never last but didn't want to believe it.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 24
If you're using a Mac platform just go for the Apogee Duet, you can check it out @ guitar center (maybe they have the K-240 MKll as well). I use the Apogee mini DAC and I'm very happy with the Apogee DAC + K-702 combo.

I don't know the KRK-KNS 8400, but I'm not sure they will get any better compare to the M-50 for for tracking bass and vocals...and yes, the M-50 are warm on the bass and have some spikes in the high mid's/ treble area.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
If you're using a Mac platform just go for the Apogee Duet, you can check it out @ guitar center (maybe they have the K-240 MKll as well). I use the Apogee mini DAC and I'm very happy with the Apogee DAC + K-702 combo.

I don't know the KRK-KNS 8400, but I'm not sure they will get any better compare to the M-50 for for tracking bass and vocals...and yes, the M-50 are warm on the bass and have some spikes in the high mid's/ treble area.

I actually used the Apogee Duet while in school as a special demo project in 08' and was surprised with it's quality.  At the time it did not work with Pro Tools, and I've read it still has issues with PT9.  I would rather save for the apogee ensemble, but for a $1k difference I will probably end up getting a duet.  But is my Fast Track really that bad?  I have never heard anything bad about it.  I know I could do better but is it really that bad? 

I appreciate the help, as it's always good to get opinions from many sides.  I will most likely get the K702 or Q701 later because my friend gets 20-30% AKG, JBL, and a couple other companies.I guess my quest for good mixing cans ends the way I thought it would, there really are no such things as it never ends perfect. I will just have to use them for tracking, editing and double checking mixes.  I think I might check ebay and craigslist for some of my gear to save some money so I can improve my signal chain.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
I actually used the Apogee Duet while in school as a special demo project in 08' and was surprised with it's quality.  At the time it did not work with Pro Tools, and I've read it still has issues with PT9.  I would rather save for the apogee ensemble, but for a $1k difference I will probably end up getting a duet.  But is my Fast Track really that bad?  I have never heard anything bad about it.  I know I could do better but is it really that bad? 

I appreciate the help, as it's always good to get opinions from many sides.  I will most likely get the K702 or Q701 later because my friend gets 20-30% AKG, JBL, and a couple other companies.I guess my quest for good mixing cans ends the way I thought it would, there really are no such things as it never ends perfect. I will just have to use them for tracking, editing and double checking mixes.  I think I might check ebay and craigslist for some of my gear to save some money so I can improve my signal chain.

The Fast Track is not bad, but the Apogee is better in term of sound quality/drivers and hp amp... and will improve your signal chain if your using analog mixer. Check out the FS forum on this site, the prices of the AKG are great.

BTW, maybe you can upload music via soundcloud.com, but not sure...you'll need to check this out for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back