Headphones for under 200
Jun 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:

I will be giving the HFI780, HFI580, MDR V6, and XB700/500's a try. I just need more input to see which ones are worth seeking out if GC/BB doesn't have them. So far, I only see GC possibly having the DJ1/580's and BB having a broken pair of XB500's, so my luck doesn't seem so good right now. Where would I test the 780 or the V6? Any other ones worth looking out for around this $200 budget?

I believe you can test the 7506's at guitar center.  They are the same as the v6. The reason that they aren't a 'classic' on head-fi is that they can sometimes have harsh highs (at least to some ears). Also they are not bass monsters out of the box. You may be able to eq them to be but they are far from bass heavy.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
I believe you can test the 7506's at guitar center.  They are the same as the v6. The reason that they aren't a 'classic' on head-fi is that they can sometimes have harsh highs (at least to some ears). Also they are not bass monsters out of the box. You may be able to eq them to be but they are far from bass heavy.

Then what would be a headphone like the V6's, but without the harsh highs? People keep on saying that these are one of the best under $300, and somehow I find that hard to believe.

Edit: read the V6 bashing thread. There are apparently unstated headphones better than the V6: I just don't know what they are! They could be referring to hi-fi phones, or to more within the $200 USD zone. Anyone care to mention these? P.S: I'm not sure if these people are avid hip hop listeners or not though, so I might still be wrong about them.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #18 of 19
Actually, is it possible to use leather/foam pads in the cups to mask the harsh highs? Has anyone ever modded the V6's before?

Edit: For those who look at this thread and have been deciding to get the V6's, I've been reading that they're more of a studio monitor headphone. They aren't "made" for any genre, they're used for producing music and discerning bad recordings. The EQ'ing might fix that a little bit, but the harsh highs, small forward soundstage, and low impact bass will always be there. A digizoid ZO or warm DAC/Amp might help, but that's extra things to carry around meaning restricted portability and limited applications. Not a "plug and play" phone at all. But if you already have all these things set up and willing to EQ for your tastes, then by all means, these are great.

These aren't artistic headphones like the many out there that have their own signature, these fall more on the studio production side. OK for enjoying most genres depending on your gear/EQ, good for movies, great for DJing.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 19
Bump.

I know that these cost <$50, but how do my previous choices compare with the superluxes? I'm just curious, I really doubt they are even close to feeling like ~$200-most-bang-for-the-buck phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back