Headphones for under 200
Jun 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hybrid35

Head-Fier
Ok I've done a search and read just about every single one of the recommendations from 2010 to 2011. I keep getting mixed reviews from what I've been reading but I've filtered it down to a couple things. But first here is a list of what I need it to be good at:
1. Isolation
2. Hip Hop
3. Bass (Quantity and quality. I want detailed punches with the oomph. Accuracy is not much of a concern here). Mids and highs need to be clear as well.
4. Fun sounding
5. Around $200
6. Can wear for long periods of time. Basically I need it to be comfortable and not fatiguing.
7. Wouldn't need an amp to drive (unless the combo of hp + amp/dac would REALLY kill at hip hop, equalling about $200 total still, and beating all the other headphones under ~$300)

And this is coming right out from Westone UM1's, asking for friend.

Here is my list, not in order, from reading through posts:
1. SRH840: Lacking bass quantity
2. HD25: Too sibilant with hip hop
3. Denon 1100: Too much on the lows? Mids and highs are not bearable? NEEDS EQ'ing (which I'm a nub at so I can't help him either)?
4. Denon 2000: Don't isolate as well as other choices like SRH840
5. Ultrasone 580: Too much bass? Cable problem?
6. Ultrasone 780: Same cable problem? Not enough bass for hip hop?
7. Ultrasone DJ1: Same as 580 but with different different cable and coloring.
8. DT770: Too bass oriented.
9. ATH M50: I want to stay away from these. I've heard them, he's heard them. We both agreed it's just meh for hip hop. This is the white boxed version. Not "fun" enough, personally I think they're overrated.
10. SR80i: More rock oriented?
10. Please no beats recommendations. I know most of you hate them already, but this is JIC.

So that's what I've come up with. The highest on the list is probably the 580. I myself want a FA003, but knowing the availability of that product, I know that wouldn't be a recommendation for him as of yet. And seriously, only from Russia? I'm willing to wait for a used pair though, but he isn't. Sidetracking aside, please recommend, defend, or discourage a headphone!

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 19
While it may get flack for not being refined enough, I find the Sony XB500 to be perfect for Hip-Hop. It hits like a Mack truck in the mid-bass and if you use RPGwizard's EQ it turns into quite a versatile headphone. It is also comfy as all get out.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 19
I know that $ does not mean more quality, but being only $50 I really doubt it to be satisfying. I'm thinking that it's on par with the beats or maybe a little bit better, but that's just from pure guessing. I've been reading that the XB500 has cloudy mushy bass. I'm looking for clean detailed quantity.

XB700 might be much better, but like I said, not really into the whole EQing thing. Just plug and play. I know it isolates very well though.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 19
I don't want to be antagonistic, but you'd be surprised at just how satisfying a $50 dollar headphone can be. Then again headphone experiences are all subjective. What I'd suggest to you is to go to the nearest Best Buy (or similar store) as they should most likely have a model on display that you can demo. Load your preferred DAP with bass-heavy hip-hop and listen. If it isn't your bag, well then nothing wasted besides the gas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 19
My nearest bestbuy is crap. They have a bad selection, and even with the right selection sometimes, their phones are always broken. I'll try to find a guitar center for testing if anything, but I would like to get a list of good phones to look at and search around for if they are highly recommended, just in case GC doesn't have them.

I've been reading that the XB500 has mushy bass, and I want some clean detailed quantity. Maybe the XB700 is better at that? I wouldn't know. What other headphones have you listened to before, compared to you XB500?

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
My nearest bestbuy is crap. They have a bad selection, and even with the right selection sometimes, their phones are always broken. I'll try to find a guitar center for testing if anything, but I would like to get a list of good phones to look at and search around for if they are highly recommended, just in case GC doesn't have them.

I've been reading that the XB500 has mushy bass, and I want some clean detailed quantity. Maybe the XB700 is better at that? I wouldn't know. What other headphones have you listened to before, compared to you XB500?

While I have no heard the XB700 I've heard that it is even boom-ier than the XB500. While the XB500 is more mid-bass/impact centric, the XB700 is sub-bass and rumble centric. As far as what I've listened to before the XB500. I've listened to the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, AKG K701, Sennheiser PX100, HD428, HD555, HD280, and the Klipsch S4 IEM. In terms of hip-hop the XB500 is the best at it, it isn't at all sibilant unlike the S4 and isn't bass-shy like all of the Senns and AKG. The ATH-ES7 is special as it does hip-hop well but it is so damn uncomfortable that I'd rather not listen to anything at all than listen the the ES7. Again I don't like commenting on phones I've not heard, but seeing as hip-hop is very much mid-bass (impact) centric I don't see why the XB500 isn't the end-all-be-all phone under say $300.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 19
mdr-v6

$60
Drive well
Great bass after some Eq work.
20% noise reduction when on, 50% with light music, 80% with normal volume, 100% with blasting.
Great with rap and hip hop, lesser on rock
Comfy, for about 3-4 hours until ear need a break

Don't go buying a more expensive set thinking they are better, V6's are known well in music producing and people throw out $500 cans because they can't get over the V6's. 

Only get the V6, not the V6000 or what ever. You can also go with mdr 7506's for a little less noise in you ears.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 19
the xb500s IMO are pretty bad

I tested them at a BB with my cowon vs my v6s and the xb500s just sound the same but mudied down and too much horrible sounding bass

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 19
My sr80i are more for jazz, rock is kinda dead through them and rap is nonexistent

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
mdr-v6

$60
Drive well
Great bass after some Eq work.
20% noise reduction when on, 50% with light music, 80% with normal volume, 100% with blasting.
Great with rap and hip hop, lesser on rock
Comfy, for about 3-4 hours until ear need a break

Don't go buying a more expensive set thinking they are better, V6's are known well in music producing and people throw out $500 cans because they can't get over the V6's. 

Only get the V6, not the V6000 or what ever. You can also go with mdr 7506's for a little less noise in you ears.

You would EQ out the harsh highs and add on more bass? If you know an EQ for noobs thread, I'd like to see it. All I've seen so far are all these graphs that I can't reproduce. Either way though, I don't think it's possible for my friend to EQ well depending on the source.

Edit: I keep reading about these v6's and it just seems like I need to pick a pair up. They sound ridiculously amazing for their price, especially with people owning them for 10+ years. How are these NOT classics on head-fi? I think if somehow the highs were smoother, they would be perfect.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Why not give a try to the Ultrasone HFI-780's? they have enough bass for hip-hop and rap.
I haven't heard anything about cable problems with them. 

I will be giving the HFI780, HFI580, MDR V6, and XB700/500's a try. I just need more input to see which ones are worth seeking out if GC/BB doesn't have them. So far, I only see GC possibly having the DJ1/580's and BB having a broken pair of XB500's, so my luck doesn't seem so good right now. Where would I test the 780 or the V6? Any other ones worth looking out for around this $200 budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back