Headphones for office.
Mar 14, 2011 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tkach_john

Head-Fier
Hi, guys.
I have changed job recently, and my opened Grados 125 are too loud for the new office. So I am thinking about closed headphones about same or better sound quality, if possible. I don't mind to spend twice Grados 125 price. What I want at the end of the day is good sound, which would not disturb my collegues, sitting nearby. Ofcourse headphones should be adequate to my other gear: Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Graham Slee Novo.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 16
Clearly closed headphones are what you'll be needing and I find the AudioTechnica lines to have the sound signature that suits me the most. I started with a A900LTD and currently use a AD2000. I've also used the w1000x and it appeals to genres that the AD2000s' airy lighter sound can't quite fill out.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Well then, some suggestion you will have:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900

AKG K272HD

Beyerdynamic DT 770(32 or 250 Ohm versions)

Denon AH-D2000

Sennheiser HD380PRO

Shure SRH840

Ultrasone HFi-780, PRO 750, PRO 900

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 16
Out of that list the AKG would be quite promising. I personally didn't like the more bloated sound of the a900 after my Limiteds, since they have a much more balanced sound, though you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of a900ltds around since they were a limited run a few years back.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for your replies.
I am still hesitating however :)
If only I could take my gear, go to music shop and listen to all these headphones :)
Maybe I should do exactly like this, but then shop consultants would consider me a weirdo, you know. )) 
Anyway... I was thinking about high-ohm Beyers DT770 Pro (because I would like to give some work to my amp) but there are so many strangely negative reviews about them. Why is it so? Maybe those reviews do people that shouldn't, I mean those who listen to lossy music from on-board sound card or tiny weak audio player.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 16
Well, I had a chance to compare AKG K272HD with Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO today.
Listened to pop and club lossless music (guys did not have a lot of music to listen to) using some unknown DAC and Beyerdynamic A1 headamp.

To me Beyers sound much more bass-heavy than AKGs. And, as for a happy Grados owner, it was to fatiguing for my ears. So finally I have chosen AKGs. They don't sound so "airy" and "bright" as Grados RS-125, but they are detailed that's for sure. On the other hand this is good, because sometimes I am getting tired from all this Grados "brightness", you know. But if you would make me choose only one headphones, I would keep my Grados.

Thanks for all your replies! :)

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 16
The AKGs are a fine choice.  I think you'll like them a lot!

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 16

[size=medium]
Very very pleased via AKGs. Nice, nice ones.

Not sure what happened - either AKGs are so good, or EQ settings do magic, or because of burn-in effect (which I do not believe in) but I enjoy what I hear. I can hear more details then with Grados 125. For example on Pink Floyd's track "Wish you were here" there are details in intro, which somehow were hidden from me before, thus intro doesn't sound weak to me any more.
I was trying to stay in mid-price range when choose dac / amp not only because sound gear is expensive, but because I believe that there is some point, when you do not get equivalent feedback in quality for the given money. But maybe I am too cautious? Maybe my current gear can drive some really expensive headphones, and feedback in quality WILL BE equivalent? 

So here is my question... My gear - DacMagic / GS Novo. How good are they to drive some really expensive headphones? Is there a bottleneck in my current setup? Or I can go and by some HD800 or whatever and my dac/amp will use them 100%?

What do you think? Unfortunately I do not have a chance to try all possible setups myself, but there should be a reasonable price/quality edge. How close am I to it? :)
[/size]

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 16
Hey, you just got new headphones!  Now you're already thinking of upgrading already?  Upgratis sure infects pretty fast!
wink.gif
  I don' have experience with your setup, but if you like what you're hearing then why not stick with it for a while? 

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Hey, you just got new headphones!  Now you're already thinking of upgrading already?  Upgratis sure infects pretty fast!
wink.gif
  I don' have experience with your setup, but if you like what you're hearing then why not stick with it for a while? 

I just want to know if my system has any potential.
- In "general sound quality" (whatever it means) with better headphones,
- In showing more details with better headphones,
- In getting more stage feeling with better headphones,
- In getting more drive with better headphones,
- In getting some unknown to me experience, which I can not even imagine, lol.

Well, lets start with very basics. Did anyone ever had a chance to compare different dacs above 500$ price range. What was the difference in sound? Was any? Can you please describe it?

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 16
The only difference in DACs will be their neutrality - it is the only feature that should b there. They are not to sound warm, bright or whatever, they are there to ound neutral and deliver clear and un-colored sound to your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back