Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 18, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,596 of 12,315
Hey guys, spent about an hour talking to the Meze dudes today and listening to the Emperyon.

Good news and bad news... I’ll start with the bad. The Emperyon is pretty damn killer with metal. Seems like it sounds better and better the more you listen to it. Very few weaknesses sonically or ergonomically. Though I’m not sure it is “the best” at anything, per se, it’s pretty great at everything, if that makes sense - an all rounder.

Now on to the good news, for those who are concerned about this being an indicator of future pricing for Meze, it is most definitely not. They’re kind of looking at this a little like a concept car: they created it to explore and showcase the capabilities of the new technology. They know that the core of their business is at a more reasonable price point and they are most definitely working on several prototypes with the technology that will be MUCH less costly than the Emperyon. Not sure what the timeline on those will be, but as of now, we do know there are other dual trace products in the works.

I heard the Empyrean yesterday at CanJam, and like you, was impressed. Make that very impressed...to the point I felt compelled to write up early impression comments in the Empyrean thread.

I really can't afford this headphone or the other that knocked me sideways yesterday (Final D8000)--two open back planars that sound very different from each other. But now I can't get the Empyrean out of my mind. If I had it here in my system & fully checked out the sonics w/various amps, who knows? Maybe I'd find this or that quality I don't really care for. But in that 1st listen (in a rather quiet room, so I could actually hear them), it wowed me. Might be hard to criticize this one in any serious way.

It didn't hurt that Antonio Meze is right up there w/some of the best/brightest/friendliest business owners/designers I've met in audio. Zero attitude + lots of knowledge is a great combination...

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,597 of 12,315
I gotta try an lcd2 at some point, and this new classic model sounds right up my alley, especially considering the price.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #8,598 of 12,315
I gotta try an lcd2 at some point, and this new classic model sounds right up my alley, especially considering the price.

Heard the LCD-2C at CanJam yesterday. Conditions were crowded & noisy, so hard to be sure what I was hearing. But very initial impressions were that it was very comfortable (I wouldn't even mention that, except w/Audeze, comfort hasn't been traditionally a focus); well balanced top to bottom; punchy & incisive, but not the level of being bright or "shouty."

Wish I could have heard these in a quieter side-room to get a better grasp of the sonics. They struck me as easily worth the original $599 price...but the "official" $799 price might be a stretch.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #8,599 of 12,315
Feb 18, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #8,602 of 12,315
Just being completely honest here, I kinda prefer the LCD-2C to the LCD-MX4. The MX4 is more technical, but the upper mid sounded a little shouty to me and when I went to the 2C, I was like, “screw YES! So much screw YES!!!”

In my review over in the MX4 thread, I mentioned I felt it paired much better with a warm(ish) amp. I've got a 2C on the way, wish I still had the MX4 to compare.

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #8,604 of 12,315
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #8,605 of 12,315
That's... unfortunate. I believe there are opportunities in the $600-1000 for premium portable closed-backs. The
Aeon Flow Closed has no real competition in that price segment. I was hoping the Campfire Cascade and this one would be nice alternatives.

The Campfire Cascade is a hell of a lot of fun. It mostly definitely sounds a lot like the Vega. It’s slightly boomy, but it hammers hard AF and the drivers are definitely pretty fast. Tons of slam.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #8,606 of 12,315
I'd like to thank those in this thread who helped out so much. Just pulled the trigger on the Eikon as I have been looking for something between the HD600 and 700. When tax season rolls around next year, I will more than likely pick up the Atticus as well. The advice given throughout the thread has been great, so once again, thanks.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #8,607 of 12,315
Just a PSA...

An original pair of ATH AD2000s are currently up for sale at a very reasonable price.Ive only seen them come up for sale a handful of times since joining Head-Fi.
Lightning fast,slightly dry,quite amp picky(R2R-11 is a great pairing)forward mids and good midbass thump.

I have no affiliation with the ad or seller,but thought I'd throw this out there as Ive gotten a few unsolicited PMs thru the years asking if I was interested in selling my pair.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #8,609 of 12,315
Denon d7200 are great ... In europe you can find them at 550euro from uk

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #8,610 of 12,315

Users who are viewing this thread

Back