Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 3, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #8,612 of 12,302
Atticus is great for metal but it can be a challenge to amp it to its highest level of performance.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #8,613 of 12,302
I've reached my endgame with regards to metal headphones. The ZMF Auteur's just knocked it out of the park, Excellent for metal. @Hansotek @grizzlybeast and many others on this forum have nailed what the Auteur does well. All those attributes really add up to an awesome experience for metal, just the right amount of linearity, soundstage, timbre, clarity, resolution and speed to nail pretty much every sub genre I have thrown at it. Going to focus on building my system around it now.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #8,614 of 12,302
Hey guys!

Is there any earphones/IEMs that you recommend for metal? I listen mostly to prog, melodic death and power, if we go to bands... Dream Theater, Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, Insomnium, Tool, Devin Townsend, Amorphis, Emperor... That stuff.

I had some RHA MA750i but they have shocked me three times straight to the ear, weird stuff tbh. It is a must for them to be like a clip, so that I can put the cable right over my ear and I would like, but not strictly necessary, to have microphone as well, such as the RHA MA750i. When it comes about the money, I was thinking about spending somewhere between 50 and 200 euros, more or less.

Honestly, I was pretty happy with them until this happened, so I do not totally discard simply buying the same model again, as I have seen that they have tweaked them a bit (at least from the looks).

Eager to hear some recommendations! Thanks in advance!

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8,615 of 12,302
Hey guys!

Is there any earphones/IEMs that you recommend for metal? I listen mostly to prog, melodic death and power, if we go to bands... Dream Theater, Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, Insomnium, Tool, Devin Townsend, Amorphis, Emperor... That stuff.

I had some RHA MA750i but they have shocked me three times straight to the ear, weird stuff tbh. It is a must for them to be like a clip, so that I can put the cable right over my ear and I would like, but not strictly necessary, to have microphone as well, such as the RHA MA750i. When it comes about the money, I was thinking about spending somewhere between 50 and 200 euros, more or less.

Honestly, I was pretty happy with them until this happened, so I do not totally discard simply buying the same model again, as I have seen that they have tweaked them a bit (at least from the looks).

Personally, I’d save up just a little bit extra and get the Periodic Beryllium. The gap between those and $1K+ flagship IEMs is pretty small, IMO. They are really incredible. Acoustic Research also has a couple of new IEMs that are pretty affordable, sound great and they also use beryllium drivers.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #8,616 of 12,302
Hey guys!

I love my Sony ex1000, work well for everything really. But it will depend on fit for you as they are a bit odd. But for my ears they are insanely comfortable. Very very tip dependent as well, if you don't get the correct tip and seal they can sound absolutely ear piercing. BUT, match them right and they are phenomenal. Also, what source would you be using? If not a decent dap or dac/amp the ex1000 may not be worth it

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #8,617 of 12,302
Personally, I’d save up just a little bit extra and get the Periodic Beryllium. The gap between those and $1K+ flagship IEMs is pretty small, IMO. They are really incredible. Acoustic Research also has a couple of new IEMs that are pretty affordable, sound great and they also use beryllium drivers.
But no clip... For me it's very important to have them like that... First because I ensure they don't fall off, second because while working, when I might need something from colleague or viceversa, I can have them close to my ear but not fully in... Then if I get mad at them I can just push them in and enjoy the music, lol.

I love my Sony ex1000, work well for everything really. But it will depend on fit for you as they are a bit odd. But for my ears they are insanely comfortable. Very very tip dependent as well, if you don't get the correct tip and seal they can sound absolutely ear piercing. BUT, match them right and they are phenomenal. Also, what source would you be using? If not a decent dap or dac/amp the ex1000 may not be worth it
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn those are pricey. 389 on Amazon.com, plus shipping to Europe which won't be cheap. Looks like they have been discontinued, as well as too expensive tbh.

Thank you very much anyway, guys!!

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #8,618 of 12,302
But no clip... For me it's very important to have them like that... First because I ensure they don't fall off, second because while working, when I might need something from colleague or viceversa, I can have them close to my ear but not fully in... Then if I get mad at them I can just push them in and enjoy the music, lol.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn those are pricey. 389 on Amazon.com, plus shipping to Europe which won't be cheap. Looks like they have been discontinued, as well as too expensive tbh.

Thank you very much anyway, guys!!

I've seem them sell for 250$ used, got mine for 300 factory refurbished or certified by sony(can't remember). Ya I didn't catch the Europe part, you'd have to find someone selling second hand there for it to be in your price range. What source were you going to be using anyways?

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #8,619 of 12,302
I've seem them sell for 250$ used, got mine for 300 factory refurbished or certified by sony(can't remember). Ya I didn't catch the Europe part, you'd have to find someone selling second hand there for it to be in your price range. What source were you going to be using anyways?
Amazon, either .es or .co.uk. I'm not disregarding other stores such as zococity but, you know, Amazon's customer service is hard to match haha.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #8,620 of 12,302
Amazon, either .es or .co.uk. I'm not disregarding other stores such as zococity but, you know, Amazon's customer service is hard to match haha.

No.i meant what will you be using as your music source, dedicated dap? Smart phone? Portable dac/amp?

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #8,621 of 12,302
No.i meant what will you be using as your music source, dedicated dap? Smart phone? Portable dac/amp?
LOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I thought you meant as in for information hahaha. I'll mostly plug them to my Mp3, which is just a Sandisk Clip Jam, nothing amazing, and to my laptop while working, which is an HP ProBook G2. If it has a microphone, I'll Skype with them too, as well as doing plugging them to my phone for some calls but, again, them having microphone is far from being a must, just a nice add-on.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #8,622 of 12,302
So did anyone go to CanJam NYC? Would like to hear more about some of these new thingys:

HiFiMAN Shangri-La Jr. electrostatic with amp, $8,000
Final D8000 planar magnetic, $3,799
Meze Audio Empyrean, ~$3,000+
MrSpeakers Voce electrostatic, $2,999
iFi Audio Pro iDSD, $2,499
Sennheiser HD820, $2,400
Campfire Audio Cascade, closed portable bass-heavy-ish, $799
Cayin i-DAC6, $699
Cayin i-HA6, $699
Sonarworks True-Fi app, $79

Nice to see the iFi Audio Pro iCAN getting respect from Jude as the best combo with the Abyss.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #8,623 of 12,302
So did anyone go to CanJam NYC? Would like to hear more about some of these new thingys:

HiFiMAN Shangri-La Jr. electrostatic with amp, $8,000
Final D8000 planar magnetic, $3,799
Meze Audio Empyrean, ~$3,000+
MrSpeakers Voce electrostatic, $2,999
iFi Audio Pro iDSD, $2,499
Sennheiser HD820, $2,400
Campfire Audio Cascade, closed portable bass-heavy-ish, $799
Cayin i-DAC6, $699
Cayin i-HA6, $699
Sonarworks True-Fi app, $79

Nice to see the iFi Audio Pro iCAN getting respect from Jude as the best combo with the Abyss.

I covered offon most of those things. Didn’t listen to the Final. Anyway, here’s a link:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_NYC_2018/CanJam_2018_page1.htm

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #8,624 of 12,302
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #8,625 of 12,302
A couple members are doing a Cascade tour
Yeap I & @drbluenewmexico and @Wiljen are hosting the tour, we're still figuring out whose unit will cover what states ect...

but I'm listening to the Cascade right now and it's awesome for metal!!! I also just found a really nice Vinyl Rip of Epica's Divine Conspiracy!!! I checked the DR data base and was surprised to see how well it ranked I was also disappointed at how brick walled my mastering of it was <.< non the less with a much cleaner master/rip I'm continually impressed by how well the Cascade does with metal and other genres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back