Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #8,581 of 12,281
Jude said that the new Meze Empyrean will cost more than $3000. I'm out!

25341430127_8a38cb7c21_b.jpg

26340259228_617504251f_b.jpg

That's... unfortunate. I believe there are opportunities in the $600-1000 for premium portable closed-backs. The
Aeon Flow Closed has no real competition in that price segment. I was hoping the Campfire Cascade and this one would be nice alternatives.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #8,582 of 12,281
I was struggling as to whether or not to go to CanJam this year,and seeing this headphone is making its debut I was very tempted to go,but if the asking price is 3k I will pass on CanJam(and these headphones)too.

Theyre taking a page out of Fang's playbook.
In six months they will release a Empyrean v2 and then after that a 60k electrostat.

One can forgive some shortcomings in headphones up to about $800 or so. But with the options available in the $800- $1500 range, anyone coming out with headphones at $3000+ can and should expect a high degree of scrutiny.

Meze has earned a lot of goodwill over the last couple years with their sub-$300 offerings. I hope they don't mess this up.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #8,583 of 12,281
One can forgive some shortcomings in headphones up to about $800 or so. But with the options available in the $800- $1500 range, anyone coming out with headphones at $3000+ can and should expect a high degree of scrutiny.

Meze has earned a lot of goodwill over the last couple years with their sub-$300 offerings. I hope they don't mess this up.

I guess $3000 price is to make up their initial R&D costs. Someone with a deep pocket or impatient or riding on hype trains will finance their costs. Soon after, I bet they will come to a market with something in $800 range.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #8,584 of 12,281
That's... unfortunate. I believe there are opportunities in the $600-1000 for premium portable closed-backs. The
Aeon Flow Closed has no real competition in that price segment. I was hoping the Campfire Cascade and this one would be nice alternatives.

You're forgetting the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen, superb for metal too :D (just a hair over $1000).

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #8,585 of 12,281
People may or may not like the Beyer DT 1770, which has great extension on both ends, but there is always the ZMF cans, the Ori in particular is a phenomenal headphone.

I haven't spent any quality time with the Shure 1540, but that could be a candidate as well.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #8,586 of 12,281

After seeing the diaphragm, I have to imagine this is part of a bigger picture move for Meze.This is a move to be at the forefront of the multiple trace pattern planar tech - which nobody else is doing right now. I would expect that you’ll probably see two or three different trickle-down models in the next couple of years as they figure out ways to make the technology itself less expensive and the manufacturing process for it cheaper.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #8,587 of 12,281
People may or may not like the Beyer DT 1770, which has great extension on both ends, but there is always the ZMF cans, the Ori in particular is a phenomenal headphone.

I haven't spent any quality time with the Shure 1540, but that could be a candidate as well.

The DT1770 is in that price range, but it's not in the same league as the AFC. The ZMF Ori is a very good headphone, but it's very bulky, leaks some sound and is very inneficient, so it's not practical to use portably.

I haven't heard the 1540 personally, so I can't comment on it.

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #8,588 of 12,281
The DT1770 is in that price range, but it's not in the same league as the AFC. The ZMF Ori is a very good headphone, but it's very bulky, leaks some sound and is very inneficient, so it's not practical to use portably.

I haven't heard the 1540 personally, so I can't comment on it.

I have very limited head-time with the 1540, but the AFC is head and shoulders better.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #8,589 of 12,281
So, I ended up getting the LCD2C, and extremely happy I did so far. One note is that my impressions are based on using them with the Reveal plugin and the LCD2C profile most of the time.

Very first impression when plugging them in was that they seemed somewhat, dull. But maybe it was my amplifier that needed some warming up, as well as the headphones since the headphones were new out of the box. Right now, I find their sound extremely comfortable to my ears, and they have that punch I was looking for! Finally, a pair of headphones that can keep up with my music, without crumbling in the busiest passages. It’s able to bring out a lot more of all details in the mix compared to the HD650. Such an engaging listen, I love it!

As for comfort which was one of my concerns, I find them very comfortable, my most comfortable headphone yet, even though they’re also my heaviest pair. I can forget they’re on my head at times, something I couldn’t do with the HD650. Clamping force was too much, and I never found the pads very comfortable either, as their angled inside gives a rather narrow and stiff contact area.

Anyway, this is by no means a review, just wanted to express my appreciation for the LCD2C, and say thank you, as you did give me that first bump in its direction!

Good choice :beerchug:

I bought my pair of LCD-2C one month ago and I'm still enjoying them a lot. A steal for the price that I have paid ($599) and considering how ridiculous the headphones industry is these days. Even at $799 I highly recommend them because it's one of the best headphones that I have heard under $1000.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #8,590 of 12,281
I have very limited head-time with the 1540, but the AFC is head and shoulders better.

@shuto77 yeah if you're looking for portability, that narrows it down considerably, I thought you were just looking at the 'competition'. I haven't heard the AFC except in a quick demo & I agree i like it better as a headphone.

@Hansotek only a quick demo for both AFC & 1540, so that's good to know! I'm set with closed backs (at least for now) with my Eikon, but I'm dying to hear the AFO myself.

Gonna be a good CanJam...

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #8,591 of 12,281
Hey guys, spent about an hour talking to the Meze dudes today and listening to the Emperyon.

Good news and bad news... I’ll start with the bad. The Emperyon is pretty damn killer with metal. Seems like it sounds better and better the more you listen to it. Very few weaknesses sonically or ergonomically. Though I’m not sure it is “the best” at anything, per se, it’s pretty great at everything, if that makes sense - an all rounder.

Now on to the good news, for those who are concerned about this being an indicator of future pricing for Meze, it is most definitely not. They’re kind of looking at this a little like a concept car: they created it to explore and showcase the capabilities of the new technology. They know that the core of their business is at a more reasonable price point and they are most definitely working on several prototypes with the technology that will be MUCH less costly than the Emperyon. Not sure what the timeline on those will be, but as of now, we do know there are other dual trace products in the works.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #8,592 of 12,281
Hey guys, spent about an hour talking to the Meze dudes today and listening to the Emperyon.

Good news and bad news... I’ll start with the bad. The Emperyon is pretty damn killer with metal. Seems like it sounds better and better the more you listen to it. Very few weaknesses sonically or ergonomically. Though I’m not sure it is “the best” at anything, per se, it’s pretty great at everything, if that makes sense - an all rounder.

Now on to the good news, for those who are concerned about this being an indicator of future pricing for Meze, it is most definitely not. They’re kind of looking at this a little like a concept car: they created it to explore and showcase the capabilities of the new technology. They know that the core of their business is at a more reasonable price point and they are most definitely working on several prototypes with the technology that will be MUCH less costly than the Emperyon. Not sure what the timeline on those will be, but as of now, we do know there are other dual trace products in the works.

Thanks for your feedback. Have you heard something new about the open version of the 99 Classics ?

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #8,593 of 12,281
Thanks for your feedback. Have you heard something new about the open version of the 99 Classics ?

Not specifically. I’ll ask about it.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #8,594 of 12,281
Just being completely honest here, I kinda prefer the LCD-2C to the LCD-MX4. The MX4 is more technical, but the upper mid sounded a little shouty to me and when I went to the 2C, I was like, “screw YES! So much screw YES!!!”

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,595 of 12,281
You're forgetting the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen, superb for metal too :D (just a hair over $1000).
You can get them from Amazon warehouse deals for about $650 very frequently and at that price they have NO competition imo....I still miss mine but I had to let them go bc they leak to much to be portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back