Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #8,026 of 12,284
Hey guys - I'm looking to get a pair of open back headphones with great imaging, detail, decent soundstage, and some goddamn authority. The HD600 is lacking in the authority dept for me. I run out of an iBasso DX80 and chord mojo. The beo H6 is what I use for commutes and it works well. I'm leaning towards maybe the hifiman he560. Thoughts?

Yes! Skip the 560 and go grab the new MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open. It's going to exceed all your expectations. I'm one of only a small handful of people with one right now, but since the press embargo just ended yesterday, I can tell you:

- The bass is fantastic. You want some goddamn authority, it's going to give it to you. I'm genuinely surprised at how good it is.
- The mids and treble leave me with virtually nothing to complain about. I can't say the same for the 560, or just about any sub $1K headphone.
- Soundstage and imaging will exceed your expectations. Give it about 150 hours of burn in, and they really open up.
- Detail and clarity are as good as you are going to find at $799 without switching to an electrostatic setup or getting a great deal on a used flagship.
- They are easy to drive and the Mojo and DX80 will absolutely get the job done.

This is a great piece of kit, and based on your question, should be exactly what you're looking for.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #8,027 of 12,284
thanks alot hansotek, now im well intrigued by the aeons , :D, shame no retailer in europe :frowning2:

Sounds just like about everything id want from a headphone for my metal music.

any idea yet how it works with tubes?

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #8,028 of 12,284
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #8,029 of 12,284
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #8,030 of 12,284
You can actually buy MrSpeaker headphones in EU. Here is link http://www.mrspeakers-sonority.com/index.php/producten/headphones.html
I can recommend them cause it is same place where i buy my MJ2.
Btw Hansotek witch version you recommend? Closed or open back?

If you don't need closed, open is a little bit easier and more natural across all the frequency ranges. It is also more spacious, has slightly better depth layering, and has just a tiny pinch more detail. The differences are relatively small in most of these areas - mostly they are just the inherent differences between open and closed headphones.

IMO, the closed version is more of the unicorn, given that it is SO much better than other portable closed headphones under $1,500.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #8,031 of 12,284
Damn... atm seems like they only sell closed back. If your interest open back, contact them with email. They are really helpfull there.
For some reason i like more open back usually and cause in this case atleast i have to (if i buy) these blind i take open.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #8,032 of 12,284
thanks alot hansotek, now im well intrigued by the aeons , :D, shame no retailer in europe :frowning2:

Sounds just like about everything id want from a headphone for my metal music.

any idea yet how it works with tubes?

Should be great with tubes, I haven't listened to it on the Glenn OTL yet, but all the amps I'm listening to it on have what most people would call a "tubey" sound. I'm listening to it primarily on the Wells Milo (which has a tubey, liquid midrange, in spite of being solid state) and the Sennheiser HDV820 (which has a warm and slightly gooey, but hyper-detailed sound - a very typically "tubey sounding" solid state a la Cavalli Audio, etc. - which was shocking to me coming from Sennheiser).

I'm also listening to it on the Chord Hugo 2, which is pretty solid-state-sounding and it's absolutely phenomenal out of that too.

The AEONs have relatively high sensitivity and pretty much dead flat impedance, so you really aren't going to run into many amping issues with them.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #8,034 of 12,284
Damn... atm seems like they only sell closed back. If your interest open back, contact them with email. They are really helpfull there.
For some reason i like more open back usually and cause in this case atleast i have to (if i buy) these blind i take open.

Lol! The AEON Flow Open was only revealed 24 hours ago. Nobody has them yet! I should double check to see if I can say when they start shipping. What I can tell you is that you won't be waiting long at all. This is a product that is actually done and ready to hit the shelves.

EDIT: The official word from Dan is they will start shipping on or before 10/15.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #8,035 of 12,284
Cool thank you for the thorough and helpful reply. How does the aeon flow open do at lower volumes for sleepy time?

It's good at all volumes. I've been constantly changing volumes every few hours for burn in, so I've heard it loud, quiet, and a dozen ways in the middle - whatever the volume, it always sounds great.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #8,037 of 12,284
I just gave the latest Motorpsycho a spin with my HE-400i's, which I don't use all that often. Man, these are such nice headphones, especially at current prices. I need to use them more often!

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #8,038 of 12,284
Hansotek can you compare them to HD 600. I like HD 600 lot but need bit more bass for some recordings. I know about eq and such but i don´t wanna use eq.:L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #8,039 of 12,284
Hansotek can you compare them to HD 600. I like HD 600 lot but need bit more bass for some recordings. I know about eq and such but i don´t wanna use eq.:L3000:

Yeah, they have a good bit more (and better) bass than the HD600. More warmth, more impact, more extension, more speed, better clarity and detail. We're talking about completely different worlds here.

I'm a bit of a basshead myself. Given that I spent over a decade standing in front of a bass amp 4-5 nights a week, I'm relatively tough to please.

On the topic of EQ, however, I will say the AEONs respond better to EQ than most due to their incredibly flat impedance. Inductive peaks can cause a host of issues when EQing headphones with dynamic drivers. Planar designs, which have relatively flat impedance across the frequency spectrum, don't really share these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back