Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 2, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,042 of 12,302
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #8,044 of 12,302
Hmm. Wow. There's a lot more gear coming out of RMAF this year than I was expecting. O.o I'm excited about hardware again. RIP my aching wallet.
I'm still pretty content. the only thing on my radar is the Schiit Loki Mini, so while RMAF looks awesome, I think I can maintain self control. For once... :)

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #8,045 of 12,302
What would focal elears be like for black or death metal?

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #8,046 of 12,302
I am thinking of selling my hd800s as I'm not enjoying them for metal. Just wondering what I could get instead

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #8,048 of 12,302
It's really weird to honest. I do enjoy a bright sound and enjoy grado 325e and ultrasone signature dj for metal but hd800s sort of give me a headache. Don't understand why as they are very comfortable.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #8,049 of 12,302
It's really weird to honest. I do enjoy a bright sound and enjoy grado 325e and ultrasone signature dj for metal but hd800s sort of give me a headache. Don't understand why as they are very comfortable.

It's hard to make a recommendation, I only know 1 bright/slightly bright sounding headphone that sounds good with metal and not fatigueing, which is The Utopia but it's quite abit more expensive than Elear, I reviewed the HD800S and I think it's good for more nuanced music (as it exposed them), rock will sound good out of it but for Metal it's still a bit thinny for me, and all of them thinny sound plays rigorously in Metal.

u mean u got headache because of the sound right? I think the comfort is superb.

There is also the new Focal headphone, if you are interested in the Elear you may need to read about that too.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #8,050 of 12,302
I think you are spot on, the metal sounds quite thinny and it then gives me a headache. In matter of fact it sounds like the music is being quite far away if that makes sense. No the comfort is superb and only beaten by audioquest night owls.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #8,051 of 12,302
I think you are spot on, the metal sounds quite thinny and it then gives me a headache. In matter of fact it sounds like the music is being quite far away if that makes sense. No the comfort is superb and only beaten by audioquest night owls.

Yes, that soundstage for me is the selling point of the product, i know some people may not like it as it can seem like it's wider than it's supposed to be, but Classical listeners absolutely love this.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8,052 of 12,302
Yes, that soundstage for me is the selling point of the product, i know some people may not like it as it can seem like it's wider than it's supposed to be, but Classical listeners absolutely love this.

I feel that the soundstage works really well with some metal, but I agree with those points, for metal, HD800S might be a bit thinner than needed, which will push one to raise the volume more than needed, which will in return affect the whole experience. I would EQ Hd800S if going for some of the more... aggressive / energetic metals, like death metal or alternative or such :dt880smile:

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #8,054 of 12,302
Is there and updated spreadsheet shown on the first page of this thread anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back