Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 20, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #7,471 of 12,284
I just discovered HIZAKI last night, not sure what you'd call it.  To me it sounds like Dragonforce without the ridiculous singer and his ridiculous lyrics.  It's kind of a guilty pleasure for me because I'd be embarassed to be caught listening to it, yet I find it strangely enjoyable.  I've heard The Sword called Stoner Metal before so yeah probably that.  lol

I wouldn't do that... I wouldn't get much done with how involving it is.
heres a nice band, https://youtu.be/gJTajhxXuac

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #7,473 of 12,284

IMHO, I'd consider preordering the AEON to get that $100 discount, because even if you don't love them, you should be able to sell them on the Head-fi sale forum and get all of your money back. Once they start shipping on 4/30 the price jumps up to $799. If you decide to sell them for the full $699 you paid, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a buyer. If you want to read-up more on them, I reviewed them here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0317/MrSpeakers_AEON_Stereo_Headphones_Review.htm and @Stillhart, who also appears regularly on this thread reviewed them here: http://audio-head.com/mrspeakers-aeon-review/. They are legit, and extremely hard to beat for the price.

That being said, if you want to audition things in person, I highly recommend heading down to Torrance to visit @TSAVJason at The Source AV. He really knows headphones, and he won't steer you wrong.

awesome stuff @Hansotek thanks again. makes sense. going to really have to consider that.. do you think they will be better than IEMs for bass and isolation? 

haha that's great you mentioned @TSAVJason - Jason i actually just e-mailed you a few days ago about the AEON's- I'm Nick! :) will try to swing by at some point to listen when they're in and say hi!! but probably will end up pre-ordering them...!! \m/

cheers!

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #7,474 of 12,284
good point.. thanks for that! helped eliminate that one :) tough to do b/c i have love sennheiser in the past, but i think its the right call

excellent man!! started listening to some more veil of maya - they do have some awesome stuff :) will check out KWD when i need it :) haha.i just found a band called Nothing More - they're incredible.. i really connect with their personal story as well actually. may want to check them out if you haven't! their live shows look epic

I don't even know where to start.. thank you so much for this! incredible stuff. Looked into the MrSpeakers and called one of the listed retailers in LA to see when they might be getting them so i can take a listen.. looks like it'll still be a few more weeks.. i think you're right, that could be an awesome option!

do you think the bass & isolation will be solid? 

thanks again! this has been gold

i have loved sennheiser in the past. even some of their more simple iem's i thought were great for the price. ie800s look incredible. little up there in the price range, but would love to check them out! $200-300 would be ideal for price.. thats what makes the basso's so appealing.. :/  

@shuto77
 [COLOR=0B5394]t[/COLOR][COLOR=0B5394]​hanks for this! still feel the same way about the ibasso's? ​how are they with the bass & isolation? still recommend? may pull the trigger :) \m/[/COLOR]

Sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to these. My father is unfortunately seriously ill & I'm taking care of him, so obviously a lot going on there :frowning2: Fortunately things have improved a bit though, so here we are! 

Completely blown away (and maybe a little overwhelmed - in a good way!) by the incredible recommendations and thoughts! You all are really amazing. 

Considering pulling the trigger on the iBasso's to start.. could really use some feedback if anyone's willing.. I've already asked and received an extraordinary amount and am so grateful.. so no hard feelings if not! 

I've long felt IEMs gave me better experience with isolation and deep, full bass - but even when i tried on the qc35's months back i was surprised to have a more comparable experience than in years past with over ears..  don't torch me for the qc35 - i don't own them and have been living under a rock for much of the past several years... mostly due to med school.. lol.. so just sharing this example to say how much i still get to learn in this process :) 

any thoughts on if i may feel that deep bass and get good isolation with any of these over-ears recommended below? or are IEMs the way to go for what i'm looking for? sorry if its a really naive question.. i'm sure some will give a great - or better - experience, i just don't know

i'm a drummer like i mentioned and starting to better understand my personal listening preferences.. clearly high quality deep percussion, bass and the reverberations are fundamental for me :p 

any good places that would carry these so i don't have to run all over trying to listen? i'm in the LA (burbank) area and unfortunately couldn't make CanJam :frowning2: but there's obviously a lot around here

thanks again! can't tell you all how much it means. 

cheers!! \m/

For the price ($260), the Ibasso It03 can't be beaten, and have the sort of sound signature I'm fond of. My only complaint about them is the memory wire on the ear-hook section of the cable. But, my cable guy is going to hook me up with a new mmcx cable (which are very common for mid-fi iems).

Bass is excellent, and rarely if ever gets boomy. Isolation should be very good, as long as you're not me and have super wide ear canals. The largest tips are 15mm, so they should fit nearly everyone.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #7,475 of 12,284

good point.. thanks for that! helped eliminate that one :) tough to do b/c i have love sennheiser in the past, but i think its the right call

excellent man!! started listening to some more veil of maya - they do have some awesome stuff :) will check out KWD when i need it :) haha.i just found a band called Nothing More - they're incredible.. i really connect with their personal story as well actually. may want to check them out if you haven't! their live shows look epic

I don't even know where to start.. thank you so much for this! incredible stuff. Looked into the MrSpeakers and called one of the listed retailers in LA to see when they might be getting them so i can take a listen.. looks like it'll still be a few more weeks.. i think you're right, that could be an awesome option!

do you think the bass & isolation will be solid? 

thanks again! this has been gold

i have loved sennheiser in the past. even some of their more simple iem's i thought were great for the price. ie800s look incredible. little up there in the price range, but would love to check them out! $200-300 would be ideal for price.. thats what makes the basso's so appealing.. :/  

@shuto77 t​hanks for this! still feel the same way about the ibasso's? ​how are they with the bass & isolation? still recommend? may pull the trigger :) \m/

Sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to these. My father is unfortunately seriously ill & I'm taking care of him, so obviously a lot going on there :frowning2: Fortunately things have improved a bit though, so here we are! 

Completely blown away (and maybe a little overwhelmed - in a good way!) by the incredible recommendations and thoughts! You all are really amazing. 

Considering pulling the trigger on the iBasso's to start.. could really use some feedback if anyone's willing.. I've already asked and received an extraordinary amount and am so grateful.. so no hard feelings if not! 

I've long felt IEMs gave me better experience with isolation and deep, full bass - but even when i tried on the qc35's months back i was surprised to have a more comparable experience than in years past with over ears..  don't torch me for the qc35 - i don't own them and have been living under a rock for much of the past several years... mostly due to med school.. lol.. so just sharing this example to say how much i still get to learn in this process :) 

any thoughts on if i may feel that deep bass and get good isolation with any of these over-ears recommended below? or are IEMs the way to go for what i'm looking for? sorry if its a really naive question.. i'm sure some will give a great - or better - experience, i just don't know

i'm a drummer like i mentioned and starting to better understand my personal listening preferences.. clearly high quality deep percussion, bass and the reverberations are fundamental for me :p 

any good places that would carry these so i don't have to run all over trying to listen? i'm in the LA (burbank) area and unfortunately couldn't make CanJam :frowning2: but there's obviously a lot around here

thanks again! can't tell you all how much it means. 

cheers!! \m/

Hope your dad gets better, and welcome to the bunch!

On a sidenote: if you can score the K240 Sextett MPs for ~50€, they're ridicilous for djent. Perhaps not the most deep-rumbling, but nails the groove and tone perfectly.

And a different djenty sidenote: just discovered An Endless Sporadic - Magic Machine this week, a 2016 release. I'll definately post some minireview/recommendation on the prog thread, as it's quite proggy.
People from Karmakanic/Flower Kings/Tangent/Kaipa, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Animals As Leaders in the band, Rudess and Stolt featuring on the album. Add some misc orchestration, and you've definately got a progressive masterpiece, which IMO pushes the boundaries of djent as a genre.
It's like Karmakanic/Kaipa meets Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment, who decide to explore djent.
What.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #7,476 of 12,284
New home setup is working out nicely: LGV10 (USB Audio Player Pro, running Tidal Master) --> Mojo --> Liquid Carbon --> E-MU Teak w/ Ori pads

For gaming: Soundblaster X7 --> Mojo --> Liquid Carbon --> E-MU Teaks

For Work: Mojo --> iBasso IT03 

I tried some new tips today that fit me a lot better, so I may keep the IT03 after all, or at least until I need to raise funds for the AEON. 

*Note: for Tidal Android users, I noticed that when you use USB Audio Player Pro, and you search for albums that are MQA/Master-enabled, there are actually two files - one standard, one in higher-res (presumably the Master/MQA file). This will allow you to access the higher-bitrate files without an MQA DAC. The Mojo can decode anything, so it comes out great!

I'll try to get pics up later to prove it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #7,477 of 12,284

Hope your dad gets better, and welcome to the bunch!

On a sidenote: if you can score the K240 Sextett MPs for ~50€, they're ridicilous for djent. Perhaps not the most deep-rumbling, but nails the groove and tone perfectly.

And a different djenty sidenote: just discovered An Endless Sporadic - Magic Machine this week, a 2016 release. I'll definately post some minireview/recommendation on the prog thread, as it's quite proggy.

wink.gif

Love the love,man!

I usually do not recommend the Sextetts to rookies.They require more than a phone jack to be driven,and a pair of headphones that are nearly 50 years old and cost about the same as dinner for two at a decent sushi bar could not possibly kick ass,could they?!? Heck it took me about a nine months to get one of yall to grab a pair.

However youre correct,Sextetts are amazing HPs. Ive noticed they change a bit with different receivers.I recently picked up a 1979 100wpc Onkyo and the forward presentation of the guitars has stepped back a bit and gone outwards.On my 55wpc Sansuis they remain an in your face wrecking machine.

Have a 120wpc Kenwood Eleven GX being delivered today...Im expecting the results to be similar to the Onkyo.

@aequanimitas ,youre in good hands in this thread...these guys know their stuff and always provide solid advice,though im partial to The Atticus over any other HP at the moment. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #7,478 of 12,284
awesome stuff @Hansotek
 thanks again. makes sense. going to really have to consider that.. do you think they will be better than IEMs for bass and isolation? 

haha that's great you mentioned @TSAVJason
 - Jason i actually just e-mailed you a few days ago about the AEON's- I'm Nick! :) will try to swing by at some point to listen when they're in and say hi!! but probably will end up pre-ordering them...!! \m/

cheers!

No over-ear headphone can isolate like IEMs. Bass is also inherently different on over-ear headphones vs. in-ears. That being said, the bass and isolation on the ÆON are very, very good. It seals better than most closed headphones. The bass isn't going to hit the hardest (but impact is still satisfying) it is more natural and fast sounding. IMO, the quality of the bass is elite. FWIW, if you want more bass the ÆON is very easy to EQ (most planar headphones are, due in part to their flat impedance).

If you're looking for isolation and are in the market for in-ears, I'd steer you toward the Jerry Harvey Audio JH3X PRO ($599) - which sounds very similar to the iSine20, but comes with -26dB of isolation (which will be pretty quiet, that's cutting the exterior volume by more than 80%). The only catch is, you'll have to visit an audiologist to get impressions made of you ears, but on the upside, customs will have better isolation, sound and comfort than universals and I'm sure you can pick from a number of visual designs to suit your preferences and make the IEM feel uniquely yours.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,479 of 12,284
Holy Hell!!!!

My new"headphone amp" just got here.Havent hooked it up yet,but this thing is an absolute BEAST!!!!
That is a Magni Uber 2 on top!
#Gonnaneedabiggerboat

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #7,481 of 12,284
Nice!

I need a primer on vintage amps. How much did that run you?

receiver-350.00
shipping- 60.00
repairs and tune-up-TBD,usually about 100-150.00

I got a pretty good price on this particular model.It has two things going for it that separate it from many others:

Its widely considered to be one of the more visually appealing receivers ever made.It is my very fav for aesthetics,took me over a month of checking eBay every waking hour(literally) to find one in good condition at a good price.

Here she is all lit up.

Its also 120 wpc,which officially makes it a "monster". Monster receivers(100wpc and over)demand a huge premium on eBay over receivers that are rated at less than 100wpc.Some of the real big boys like the Technics SA1000 (330 wpc,the biggest receiver ever made) going for 7500.00 on eBay currently.

For headphone driving purposes you really dont need much more than 35-40 wpc,which depending upon condition and make/model you can pick up for 150-200usd.For 200.00 you get much more amp for the money than you would from a similarly priced dedicated HP amp...Not to mention built in bass,mids and treble control,bass boost vinyl stages,am/fm,etc..and the speaker taps in the rear for speakers or the HE-6s of the world.

For most of my HPs my 50wpc Sansuis are excellent,warm sounding,and delivering plenty of control and volume,even for my HE-6(from the taps) However as you start to get into these things you do find that MOAR power is a good thing.
L3000.gif
 I have two monsters now,and im selling one of my Sansuis,but again you dont need a monster just for HPs,but damn theyre fun!

Now im looking for some good vintage speakers to complete the sound of the swingin' 70s.

For more info on receivers from back in the day,and the Monsters:

http://thevintagehifishack.com/the-receiver-wars-1974-1979/

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/1970s-audio-and-the-receiver-wars.html

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/17085

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #7,482 of 12,284
receiver-350.00

shipping- 60.00

repairs and tune-up-TBD,usually about 100-150.00

I got a pretty good price on this particular model.It has two things going for it that separate it from many others:

Its widely considered to be one of the more visually appealing receivers ever made.It is my very fav for aesthetics,took me over a month of checking eBay every waking hour(literally) to find one in good condition at a good price.

Here she is all lit up.

Its also 120 wpc,which officially makes it a "monster". Monster receivers(100wpc and over)demand a huge premium on eBay over receivers that are rated at less than 100wpc.Some of the real big boys like the Technics SA1000 (330 wpc,the biggest receiver ever made) going for 7500.00 on eBay currently.

For headphone driving purposes you really dont need much more than 35-40 wpc,which depending upon condition and make/model you can pick up for 150-200usd.For 200.00 you get much more amp for the money than you would from a similarly priced dedicated HP amp...Not to mention built in bass,mids and treble control,bass boost vinyl stages,am/fm,etc..and the speaker taps in the rear for speakers or the HE-6s of the world.

For most of my HPs my 50wpc Sansuis are excellent,warm sounding,and delivering plenty of control and volume,even for my HE-6(from the taps) However as you start to get into these things you do find that MOAR power is a good thing.:L3000:  I have two monsters now,and im selling one of my Sansuis,but again you dont need a monster just for HPs,but damn theyre fun!

Now im looking for some good vintage speakers to complete the sound of the swingin' 70s.

For more info on receivers from back in the day,and the Monsters:

http://thevintagehifishack.com/the-receiver-wars-1974-1979/

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/1970s-audio-and-the-receiver-wars.html

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/17085

Nice!

Let me know if you decide to sell any of your old receivers. I don't have a repair guy, so I'd rather pick up something in good shape.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #7,483 of 12,284
Nice!

Let me know if you decide to sell any of your old receivers. I don't have a repair guy, so I'd rather pick up something in good shape.

Im selling my Sansui 5000a.It works flawlessly,very warm sounding. The problem however is getting it from my place to yours in one piece.

You simply cannot pack these things well enough to guarantee 100% they will arrive in the condition they were shipped in.Every single receiver Ive purchased has needed a trip to the doctor,including the Kenwood I got yesterday....right channel drops out after a minute or two.

Id check your local CList and PM me if you need advice on a particular piece you find.

Also have you Googled vintage electronics repair in your area? 

EDIT: I just realized youre in NJ!

Dunno how far/close to Long Island you are,but if you wanna come pickup my Sansui im asking 350.00 for it,but will let it go for 275.00 to a Head-Fier.

also theres a pretty reasonable tech in Huntington NY that works on my stuff. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #7,484 of 12,284
Im selling my Sansui 5000a.It works flawlessly,very warm sounding. The problem however is getting it from my place to yours in one piece.

You simply cannot pack these things well enough to guarantee 100% they will arrive in the condition they were shipped in.Every single receiver Ive purchased has needed a trip to the doctor,including the Kenwood I got yesterday....right channel drops out after a minute or two.

Id check your local CList and PM me if you need advice on a particular piece you find.

Also have you Googled vintage electronics repair in your area? 

EDIT: I just realized youre in NJ!

Dunno how far/close to Long Island you are,but if you wanna come pickup my Sansui im asking 350.00 for it,but will let it go for 275.00 to a Head-Fier.

also theres a pretty reasonable tech in Huntington NY that works on my stuff. 

Unfortunately, I'm just outside of Philly, and it's 150 miles to Long Island. Also: I don't drive in New York. Ever. Lol.

I'll poke around locally and let you know if I find something good.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #7,485 of 12,284
Unfortunately, I'm just outside of Philly, and it's 150 miles to Long Island. Also: I don't drive in New York. Ever. Lol.

I'll poke around locally and let you know if I find something good.

Thanks for the helpful information.

No worries.If youre unable to find a tech locally to you,you can try asking over on audiokarma...very informative site,is to vintage gear as Head-Fi is to HPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back