Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 22, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #7,501 of 12,302
I have finally received my pair of Atticus earlier this week and so far I'm very impressed.  The Atticus sound like an improved version of the LCD-2 rev.2 and it's exactly the type of sound signature that I was looking for.

I'm planning to write a mini-review next week but I can already tell you that the Atticus are probably the most musical headphones that I have heard in my life.

Oh, and yes they sound GREAT with Metal \m/

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #7,502 of 12,302
I have finally received my pair of Atticus earlier this week and so far I'm very impressed.  The Atticus sound like an improved version of the LCD-2 rev.2 and it's exactly the type of sound signature that I was looking for.

I'm planning to write a mini-review next week but I can already tell you that the Atticus are probably the most musical headphones that I have heard in my life.

Woohoo!!! Awesome to hear!

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #7,503 of 12,302
@hansotek, do you think I'll like the HE500 or Elear better for music and gaming?

I wouldn't choose either because they are both so dang heavy. But I would especially not choose the Elear because I'm not a fan of the mids.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #7,504 of 12,302
They had better bring dedicated servers to the table in Destiny 2....Its dropping on my b-day,but im going to wait til the details start to emerge before I pre-order.

Dedicated servers,massive vault space,and re-worked ToS...I will be pretty happy.

Dedicated servers is a must if they want more people to take their pvp seriously. Idk how AAA studios still get away without it in 2017. That said, I cannot wait to play Destiny again. Stopped shortly after rise of iron and haven't been able to get back into it since.

As for my 2 cents on gaming headphones, the primary target is comfort IMO. Personally I swap among a few of my headphones when playing single player, but primarily enjoy my 800 for that task. When needing to communicate, I use a cheap SHP9500 with the vmoda mic as I don't have the patience to use two separate wires.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #7,506 of 12,302

Nice bro,im jelly!

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #7,507 of 12,302
Where do I go from here for an upgrade?
It might be time to settle in for the long haul. I don't think you'll find a true upgrade without leaving your price range. Even then, the weight and isolation factor pretty much wipe the entire field clean except for a handful of cans. Peaky treble may limit your choices further.

My personal favorite cans for gaming would easily read:
• Audeze LCD-4
• HiFiMan HE-500 (in 560/400i/400s/350 headband/housing)
• beyerdynamic T1.1 (high s/n)
• MrSpeakers Ether Open 1.1
• Sennheiser HD800 (anax mod)
• ZMF Eikon
• Fostex TH900
• DT990/600 Ed. (recabled and balanced)
• AQ NightHawk
• Ultrasone Signature Pro
• Philips Fidelio X2 (w/ v moda boom pro mic)

Below here suck and only get worse the further down you go imo/ime:
• LCD-2.2 (pre fazor)
• HiFiMan HE-400
• Audio Technica ATH-M50/S
• beyerdynamic DT770/250 Pro
• Sennheiser HD700
• Sennheiser HD600
• AKG K7XX, K712, Q701
• Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear V1
• Pioneer SE-A1000

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #7,508 of 12,302
Just a brief "hi" guys.

Tonight my Alpha Primes are just killing it, not matter what I throw at them: Witchthroat Serpent, Haken, old Rainbow. It doesn't matter what kind of metal, this things still amaze me with how good they are. A used pair could be a good bargain...

-S

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #7,509 of 12,302

Yes!  I absolutely love the Atticus+Solstice combo.  I'm glad it's working for you.  :)

Honestly, there's only one headphone I know of that's absolutely top notch for gaming and for music:  HD800.  You can get used ones for under $800 easily, it might be worth looking into.  You will want to make sure your source chain is synergistic though.

It might be time to settle in for the long haul. I don't think you'll find a true upgrade without leaving your price range. Even then, the weight and isolation factor pretty much wipe the entire field clean except for a handful of cans. Peaky treble may limit your choices further.
My personal favorite cans for gaming would easily read:
• Audeze LCD-4
• HiFiMan HE-500 (in 560/400i/400s/350 headband/housing)
• beyerdynamic T1.1 (high s/n)
• MrSpeakers Ether Open 1.1
• Sennheiser HD800 (anax mod)
• ZMF Eikon
• Fostex TH900
• DT990/600 Ed. (recabled and balanced)
• AQ NightHawk
• Ultrasone Signature Pro
• Philips Fidelio X2 (w/ v moda boom pro mic)

Below here suck and only get worse the further down you go imo/ime:
• LCD-2.2 (pre fazor)
• HiFiMan HE-400
• Audio Technica ATH-M50/S
• beyerdynamic DT770/250 Pro
• Sennheiser HD700
• Sennheiser HD600
• AKG K7XX, K712, Q701
• Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear V1
• Pioneer SE-A1000

I think we have different definitions of gaming headphones.  lol

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #7,511 of 12,302
I work (from home), game (99% PC), and listen to music all at the same desk. I can't say that I bought any pair with strictly gaming in mind, but eh — if you already have 'em, may as well use 'em. Am I right? Lol.

I can't say you're wrong!  lol  Still, I wouldn't put the heaviest headphone in production today as my #1 top gaming headphone.  I'd rather use my $150 Q701 than a $4k LCD-4 simply for comfort.

But yeah, we're not really talking about metal now so I'll leave it at that.  lol

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #7,512 of 12,302

Okay, FWIW HE500 SOUNDS great with video games... it just the weight that is the problem. HD800 is incredible with a nice solid copper balanced cable, LC and X7 (especially + mojo). The Ether and Eikon will be great as well. The EMU is going to be really top notch though, you're going to have a lot of trade offs at this point, IMO. The Foster driver is so engaging, you will trade some of that for detail/imaging.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #7,514 of 12,302
I can't say you're wrong!  lol  Still, I wouldn't put the heaviest headphone in production today as my #1 top gaming headphone.  I'd rather use my $150 Q701 than a $4k LCD-4 simply for comfort.

But yeah, we're not really talking about metal now so I'll leave it at that.  lol

True. I don't get a hotspot, my ergonomic chair has a headrest, I have excellent posture, and my 26 year old neck may have something to do with it not bothering me. The bumps on the Q701 dig a hole in my skull. May as well be drilling into shale to extract natural gas. Heh.

Curious why you think HE-500 is very good for gaming, but not HE-400. 
The image shape and peak on the HE400. At least the pair that I owned was all (read: only) width with no height or depth. Positional cues were impossible to follow for games like CSGO. The HE500 is an odd oval shape, but still acceptable — not quite pinpoint like the T1.1, HD800 (almost too much separation to follow sometimes), and LCD-4.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #7,515 of 12,302
What would be a good test of a headphones imaging precision? Like youtube clips of CSGO maybe?

I'm interested to test the differences of the headphones I own but need something to test pinpoint accuracy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back