Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 22, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #7,490 of 12,302
They're also going to run $300-350 more, unfortunately.

Then again, I'll have to buy new pads and 2 new cables for the HE500, so that's another $150 or so. I already have nice cables that will work with the Elear.

I mean, I wasn't speaking for price, just if the two were in front of me which would I pick. 

TBH, I don't like HFM overall. I haven't heard the HEK, but I really wasn't a fan of anything else they've made.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #7,491 of 12,302
@hansotek, do you think I'll like the HE500 or Elear better for music and gaming?

Hansotek is at AXPONA this weekend so he may not be around to answer questions for a couple days.  IMHO, I'd pick the HE-500 for pure SQ music/gaming.  The wonky upper mids/lower treble on the Elear might have a detrimental effect on directional cues in gaming.  But those older HFM cans are heavy and uncomfortable for long periods so I think that would be a major turnoff for gaming.  Destiny 2 is coming and we're going to want headphones that we can wear for hours at a time and I don't think old HFM fits that description.  The 500 does sound pretty good though...

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #7,492 of 12,302
I'd also choose HE-500 over Elear. Elear was a huge disappointment for me.

I'd also say comfort is an issue for Elear too if talking about long time gaming. It's pretty heavy.

For gaming, you could even consider the cheaper HE-400 and save a lot. Used HE-400 is what $150, vs. a $800 elear? The HE-400 has an exciting sound signature that works well with games due to the elevated bass and treble.

I have both an HE-400 and an HE-500. HE-500 is balanced with a fantastic glorious midrange, HE-400 is better for EDM and exciting sound with a more V shaped tuning. I enjoy them both.

FWIW, the DT 1770 and 1990 are very comfortable and work well for gaming too. I know you liked them before, not sure if you sold the 1990 or still have them.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #7,493 of 12,302

Destiny 2 is coming and we're going to want headphones that we can wear for hours at a time and I don't think old HFM fits that description.  The 500 does sound pretty good though...

They had better bring dedicated servers to the table in Destiny 2....Its dropping on my b-day,but im going to wait til the details start to emerge before I pre-order.

Dedicated servers,massive vault space,and re-worked ToS...I will be pretty happy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #7,494 of 12,302
  I'd also choose HE-500 over Elear. Elear was a huge disappointment for me.

I'd also say comfort is an issue for Elear too if talking about long time gaming. It's pretty heavy.

For gaming, you could even consider the cheaper HE-400 and save a lot. Used HE-400 is what $150, vs. a $800 elear? The HE-400 has an exciting sound signature that works well with games due to the elevated bass and treble.

I have both an HE-400 and an HE-500. HE-500 is balanced with a fantastic glorious midrange, HE-400 is better for EDM and exciting sound with a more V shaped tuning. I enjoy them both.

FWIW, the DT 1770 and 1990 are very comfortable and work well for gaming too. I know you liked them before, not sure if you sold the 1990 or still have them.

Yes, I like both of those headphones. I had to sell the 1990s I bought from you when I bought my ZMF Oris. I don't like having more than $800 or so in headphones at any given time. Right now, I just have my Teaks and my IT03s. 

I have a modded TH-X00 coming back from the great Peterek this week, hopefully. Maybe I can trade those for a pair of 1990s. Otherwise, I'm stuck with my E-MU Teaks for now. Poor me, lol. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #7,496 of 12,302
  Well elear is kind of out of the option then since it's your whole hp budget.

IT03 will probably work for games, no? I feel like they've got a good sound sig (slight v) for that.

I say that, but I'm keeping these Teak; they're not the best headphones I've owned, but they're probably my favorite. 

I'm really looking for  decent open headphone to play with until the AEON starts popping up in the classifieds. They're not going to ship until mid-May now, but they will be getting a nice hard case. Even with my own house and the whole finished lower level to myself, I still prefer closed headphones' isolation. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #7,500 of 12,302
Hansotek is at AXPONA this weekend so he may not be around to answer questions for a couple days.  IMHO, I'd pick the HE-500 for pure SQ music/gaming.  The wonky upper mids/lower treble on the Elear might have a detrimental effect on directional cues in gaming.  But those older HFM cans are heavy and uncomfortable for long periods so I think that would be a major turnoff for gaming.  Destiny 2 is coming and we're going to want headphones that we can wear for hours at a time and I don't think old HFM fits that description.  The 500 does sound pretty good though...

Yeah, I know the Ether will definitely want to check all the boxes, but I don't want to spend $1000 to get a used pair.

Should I just stick with my Teaks for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back