Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 16, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #7,456 of 12,284
Any word on the ZMF soundstage? From what I see, they have the sounds I'm looking for but I like a wider soundstage. 

That said, are the higher tier Beyers worth a look?

+1 for the ZMF Eikon for those preferences and music choices. IMO, soundstage and imaging are both quite good on the Eikon. There is a lot of depth in the stage - it extends out pretty far. It fits nicely with those genres, plus you get a lot of scalability. I heard it on the Headtrip Reference with the Chord Dave last weekend and also the Woo WA33 with the EMM Labs DA2 (over $60K combined for those two mega setups!) and it scaled up all the way. That being said, they also sound awesome through much humbler setups... even the Schiit Vali 1 made them sound pretty nice.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #7,457 of 12,284
Any opinions on the Aticus? And as it stands now, Im likely going to be purchasing a Valhalla next month to pair with the HD700. How would the Eikon do with tubes? Ill reconsider for the sake of future proofing if need be

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #7,458 of 12,284
Any opinions on the Aticus? And as it stands now, Im likely going to be purchasing a Valhalla next month to pair with the HD700. How would the Eikon do with tubes? Ill reconsider for the sake of future proofing if need be

Eikon excels with tubes, I also liked the pairing with Valhalla 2. As to your earlier question about 800 mods, I would recommend the SDR mod. Easy to get and install and does most of what the 800S accomplished, taming the 6k peak.

The Elear is a nice headphone, but the upper mid dip kills it for me. Certain guitar work just sounds dull because of it. Some damping in front of the driver and a pad swap does help though.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #7,459 of 12,284
I am tempted to order one of the new ZMF headphones to compare against the used TH900's that are en route to me and keep whichever one wins. I see conflicting reports in this thread though over which one is best for hard rock/metal - the Eikon or Atticus. My preferences are classic hard rock/metal and symphonic/prog. I am a bit of a bass head and like treble detail but am sensitive to brightness. Audio chain is Schiit Gumby to iFi iCAN Pro. I already have LCD-2's (2016 model) that I love so I am initially drawn to Eikon as the sound signature of the Atticus sounds closer to the LCD-2. I am looking for a TOTL closed can to supplement the LCD-2's. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,460 of 12,284
  I am tempted to order one of the new ZMF headphones to compare against the used TH900's that are en route to me and keep whichever one wins. I see conflicting reports in this thread though over which one is best for hard rock/metal - the Eikon or Atticus. My preferences are classic hard rock/metal and symphonic/prog. I am a bit of a bass head and like treble detail but am sensitive to brightness. Audio chain is Schiit Gumby to iFi iCAN Pro. I already have LCD-2's (2016 model) that I love so I am initially drawn to Eikon as the sound signature of the Atticus sounds closer to the LCD-2. I am looking for a TOTL closed can to supplement the LCD-2's. Thanks!

Look into the AQ Nightowl for sure. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #7,461 of 12,284

Well they are both pretty fantastic, which is probably why you are hearing conflicting reports. With your preferences and setup, I'd recommend getting the Eikon. It really rocks with big, powerful solid state amps like the iCan Pro. Both headphones are pretty tame up top (without being rolled off), so that treble sensitivity shouldn't be an issue. IMO, Eikon vs. TH900 on a good amp should be no contest. I've reviewed both, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have. :)

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #7,462 of 12,284

It does depend on the amp synergy with the HD650; mid-bass emphasis/issues, bass tightness/distortion, relative slowness of the driver/impulse response, and the polite treble might not be the best for djent in my opinion.

good point.. thanks for that! helped eliminate that one :) tough to do b/c i have love sennheiser in the past, but i think its the right call

Mate. I love Tesseract, Born of Osiris, Periphery, animals as leaders and contortionist! You should probably try some painted in exile and some Veil of Maya. Maybe KillWhitneyDead if you feel angry 
beerchug.gif

excellent man!! started listening to some more veil of maya - they do have some awesome stuff :) will check out KWD when i need it :) haha.i just found a band called Nothing More - they're incredible.. i really connect with their personal story as well actually. may want to check them out if you haven't! their live shows look epic

You have some great options in that $500-$750 range, and I'm familiar with all the bands you listed there, so I can totally help! Here are some systems you should look into, along with prices and pros/cons:

SETUP 1:

Stax SR-Lambda (standard bias, original version)
+ SRD-7 speaker tap adapter (it will be $325 or so for headphone and adapter together)
+ Topping TP22 Tripath Speaker amp ($95)
+ AudioQuest DragonFly Red ($199)
+ AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5mm to RCA cable ($65)
---
Total cost: $685 + shipping

PROS: lightning quick attack and decay keeps your head nodding to the music. Unbelievably fast sounding. Punchier and more impactful than 98% of electrostatic setups due to thicker diaphragm and extra dynamics from speaker tap adapter. Super resolving (which is why I recommend the upgraded interconnect) - clarity and resolution is unrivaled for the price... right at the doorstep of the HD800. Super lightweight with very little clamping pressure - you barely feel them. Excellent sparkle and mids make the guitars sound super exciting and energetic. Microdynamic texture is among the best of the best at any price.

CONS - Not much in the way of deep bass extension. Midbass punch on kickdrum is fantastic, but low, rumbly bass is mostly absent. The headphones will also be fairly old, so they may not look the best and the headband can feel a little brittle (though it can be replaced).

---

SETUP 2:

MrSpeakers ÆON ($699 preorder)
Amp ???? Worry about the amp later. A $199 DragonFly Red should do it justice or grab a Chord Mojo down the road and be set for headphones for the next two decades.
---
Total cost: $699 plus a later investment in the system.

PROS: You'll have the headphone problem solved. ÆON will be fine out of a phone or stopgap solution (like a used Fiio E17 or E12) to keep you relatively on budget out the gate. You can reinvest in the system later and continue to reap benefits as it scales. This headphone is unquestionably the best total package ever at this price: fantastic neutral tuning, easily EQable, excellent punch/attack/decay, easy to amp, extremely comfortable. It is dangerously close to the $1,899 Ether flow for barely more than 1/3 of the price. Safest, most future-proof pick.

CONS: stretches your budget a bit to build up the system, but IMO it is absolutely worth it.

--

System 3:

Emu Teak ($500ish)
AudioQuest DragonFly Red ($200)
--
Total cost: $700

PROS: Dat bass!!! This is probably the best of the Fostex TH900 variants, offering better overall tone and decay than the popular TH-X00 (which can get a little sloppy with your music). I believe @shuto77 is using this setup currently, so he can probably give you more insight into it. My experience with it is somewhat limited.

CONS: Not as resolving as the two systems listed above, but it's no pushover either.

--

System 4

Audeze iSine20 $549

PROS: perfect tuning, speed, impact, dynamics. Great resolution and soundstage for an in-ear. Cypher cable actually has a decent sounding amp and DAC built into it.

CONS: it's an in-ear. Love it or hate it fit. It's also an in-ear that doesn't really isolate. Hard to argue with the sound though.

--

There are a few options that are old favorites of this thread like the HE400i and HE560, but you wouldn't have much budget left to amp an HE560 satisfactorily and it would be hard to recommend the HE400i as an alternative with any of the above options on the table.

IMO, the MrSpeakers ÆON is probably the safest investment of the options on the table above, looking at the big picture of long term satisfaction, versatility, scalability, durability, etc. It's a headphone that really curbs the upgradeitis, because it does so many things and it does them so well. Just my two cents.

Cheers!

I don't even know where to start.. thank you so much for this! incredible stuff. Looked into the MrSpeakers and called one of the listed retailers in LA to see when they might be getting them so i can take a listen.. looks like it'll still be a few more weeks.. i think you're right, that could be an awesome option!

do you think the bass & isolation will be solid? 

thanks again! this has been gold

X5ii + ie800 for an IEM

X5ii + Meze Classics 99 is also a very good option for metal. 

I like the idea of having FiiO X5ii + HD600, but am not that happy about owning an open-back headphone. 

i have loved sennheiser in the past. even some of their more simple iem's i thought were great for the price. ie800s look incredible. little up there in the price range, but would love to check them out! $200-300 would be ideal for price.. thats what makes the basso's so appealing.. :/  

Most recently, at home: Tidal HIFI/PS4 --> Schiit Mimby --> Jotunheim

At work: Tidal HIFI/Master --> Meridian Explorer2 --> HIFIMAN RE600s (Until I get my new iBasso IT03 on Friday). 

I just sold my Jotunheim, and I'm trying to replace it w/ a Liquid Carbon. 

For a sub-$100 DAC, I can give the Encore mDSD a high recommendation. It definitely gives the DragonFly Red a run for its money. Some people who've heard both say it's definitely better than the DragonFly Black, so I can't say for sure. 

The Encore mDSD is so good, in fact, that I may keep it my work DAC, and keep the Explorer2 as my home DAC, and sell the Mimby. The Mimby is definitely superior to either, but the Explorer2 is pretty darn close on Tidal's HIFI/Master setting.

For a budget setup, I can definitely recommend the iBasso IT03 (most comfortable iems I've ever worn), and the Encore mDSD DAC. This DAC can be used with MAC/Windows/Android and iOS. It also has a line-out if you want to upgrade to a full-sized amp down the line. 

@shuto77 t​hanks for this! still feel the same way about the ibasso's? ​how are they with the bass & isolation? still recommend? may pull the trigger :) \m/

Sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to these. My father is unfortunately seriously ill & I'm taking care of him, so obviously a lot going on there :frowning2: Fortunately things have improved a bit though, so here we are! 

Completely blown away (and maybe a little overwhelmed - in a good way!) by the incredible recommendations and thoughts! You all are really amazing. 

Considering pulling the trigger on the iBasso's to start.. could really use some feedback if anyone's willing.. I've already asked and received an extraordinary amount and am so grateful.. so no hard feelings if not! 

I've long felt IEMs gave me better experience with isolation and deep, full bass - but even when i tried on the qc35's months back i was surprised to have a more comparable experience than in years past with over ears..  don't torch me for the qc35 - i don't own them and have been living under a rock for much of the past several years... mostly due to med school.. lol.. so just sharing this example to say how much i still get to learn in this process :) 

any thoughts on if i may feel that deep bass and get good isolation with any of these over-ears recommended below? or are IEMs the way to go for what i'm looking for? sorry if its a really naive question.. i'm sure some will give a great - or better - experience, i just don't know

i'm a drummer like i mentioned and starting to better understand my personal listening preferences.. clearly high quality deep percussion, bass and the reverberations are fundamental for me :p 

any good places that would carry these so i don't have to run all over trying to listen? i'm in the LA (burbank) area and unfortunately couldn't make CanJam :frowning2: but there's obviously a lot around here

thanks again! can't tell you all how much it means. 

cheers!! \m/

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #7,463 of 12,284

good point.. thanks for that! helped eliminate that one :) tough to do b/c i have love sennheiser in the past, but i think its the right call

excellent man!! started listening to some more veil of maya - they do have some awesome stuff :) will check out KWD when i need it :) haha.i just found a band called Nothing More - they're incredible.. i really connect with their personal story as well actually. may want to check them out if you haven't! their live shows look epic

I don't even know where to start.. thank you so much for this! incredible stuff. Looked into the MrSpeakers and called one of the listed retailers in LA to see when they might be getting them so i can take a listen.. looks like it'll still be a few more weeks.. i think you're right, that could be an awesome option!

do you think the bass & isolation will be solid? 

thanks again! this has been gold

i have loved sennheiser in the past. even some of their more simple iem's i thought were great for the price. ie800s look incredible. little up there in the price range, but would love to check them out! $200-300 would be ideal for price.. thats what makes the basso's so appealing.. :/  

@shuto77 t​hanks for this! still feel the same way about the ibasso's? ​how are they with the bass & isolation? still recommend? may pull the trigger :) \m/

Sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to these. My father is unfortunately seriously ill & I'm taking care of him, so obviously a lot going on there :frowning2: Fortunately things have improved a bit though, so here we are! 

Completely blown away (and maybe a little overwhelmed - in a good way!) by the incredible recommendations and thoughts! You all are really amazing. 

Considering pulling the trigger on the iBasso's to start.. could really use some feedback if anyone's willing.. I've already asked and received an extraordinary amount and am so grateful.. so no hard feelings if not! 

I've long felt IEMs gave me better experience with isolation and deep, full bass - but even when i tried on the qc35's months back i was surprised to have a more comparable experience than in years past with over ears..  don't torch me for the qc35 - i don't own them and have been living under a rock for much of the past several years... mostly due to med school.. lol.. so just sharing this example to say how much i still get to learn in this process :) 

any thoughts on if i may feel that deep bass and get good isolation with any of these over-ears recommended below? or are IEMs the way to go for what i'm looking for? sorry if its a really naive question.. i'm sure some will give a great - or better - experience, i just don't know

i'm a drummer like i mentioned and starting to better understand my personal listening preferences.. clearly high quality deep percussion, bass and the reverberations are fundamental for me :p 

any good places that would carry these so i don't have to run all over trying to listen? i'm in the LA (burbank) area and unfortunately couldn't make CanJam :frowning2: but there's obviously a lot around here

thanks again! can't tell you all how much it means. 

cheers!! \m/

IMHO, I'd consider preordering the AEON to get that $100 discount, because even if you don't love them, you should be able to sell them on the Head-fi sale forum and get all of your money back. Once they start shipping on 4/30 the price jumps up to $799. If you decide to sell them for the full $699 you paid, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a buyer. If you want to read-up more on them, I reviewed them here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0317/MrSpeakers_AEON_Stereo_Headphones_Review.htm and @Stillhart, who also appears regularly on this thread reviewed them here: http://audio-head.com/mrspeakers-aeon-review/. They are legit, and extremely hard to beat for the price.

That being said, if you want to audition things in person, I highly recommend heading down to Torrance to visit @TSAVJason at The Source AV. He really knows headphones, and he won't steer you wrong.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #7,464 of 12,284
IMHO, I'd consider preordering the AEON to get that $100 discount, because even if you don't love them, you should be able to sell them on the Head-fi sale forum and get all of your money back. Once they start shipping on 4/30 the price jumps up to $799. If you decide to sell them for the full $699 you paid, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a buyer. If you want to read-up more on them, I reviewed them here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0317/MrSpeakers_AEON_Stereo_Headphones_Review.htm and @Stillhart
, who also appears regularly on this thread reviewed them here: http://audio-head.com/mrspeakers-aeon-review/. They are legit, and extremely hard to beat for the price.

That being said, if you want to audition things in person, I highly recommend heading down to Torrance to visit @TSAVJason
 at The Source AV. He really knows headphones, and he won't steer you wrong.

Funny you motioned me:grin: I was just thinking of the Chicago meet we were both at earlier this year ....... bang'n to Rage Against the Machine .....that was a frigg'n cold day wasn't it?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 20, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #7,465 of 12,284
Funny you motioned me:grin: I was just thinking of the Chicago meet we were both at earlier this year ....... bang'n to Rage Against the Machine .....that was a frigg'n cold day wasn't it?

You're right, that was a bit nippy, even by midwest standards!

Yeah, I remember that. That ZMF Eikon + Cavalli Liquid Tungsten setup was HEAVY. I popped on the headphones while another guy was listening to Lamb of God and was like... 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #7,466 of 12,284

You're right, that was a bit nippy, even by midwest standards!

Yeah, I remember that. That ZMF Eikon + Cavalli Liquid Tungsten setup was HEAVY. I popped on the headphones while another guy was listening to Lamb of God and was like... 

I've been listening to metal on the Atticus+Solstice combo all night and it's siiiick.  HIZAKI and The Sword mostly... thick, chunky, heavy but never muddy and mids are just fantastic.  I haven't really had a headphone rig make me move like this in a long time.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #7,467 of 12,284
I've been listening to metal on the Atticus+Solstice combo all night and it's siiiick.  HIZAKI and The Sword mostly... thick, chunky, heavy but never muddy and mids are just fantastic.  I haven't really had a headphone rig make me move like this in a long time.
HIZAKI is Video game Metal and The Sword is Stoner Metal ?

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7,468 of 12,284

Yeah, I moved the Atticus + Solstice + Mojo to work so I could get more time with it. It definitely paid dividends today, I think I got a good two or three hours in.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7,469 of 12,284
What? I didn't even know there was a thread like this!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 20, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #7,470 of 12,284
HIZAKI is Video game Metal and The Sword is Stoner Metal ?

I just discovered HIZAKI last night, not sure what you'd call it.  To me it sounds like Dragonforce without the ridiculous singer and his ridiculous lyrics.  It's kind of a guilty pleasure for me because I'd be embarassed to be caught listening to it, yet I find it strangely enjoyable.  I've heard The Sword called Stoner Metal before so yeah probably that.  lol

Yeah, I moved the Atticus + Solstice + Mojo to work so I could get more time with it. It definitely paid dividends today, I think I got a good two or three hours in.

I wouldn't do that... I wouldn't get much done with how involving it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back