Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 12, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #7,426 of 12,302
I swapped from a V850 to RS 06 — the difference is negligible to my ears. The LP DAC RS 06 is like 99% the same as the V850 without the volume control, a different PSU, and cheaper housing materials (the chassis/case). Easily recommended.

The LP DAC RS 06 being so close to the V850, it's probably the best bang for buck "TOTL worthy" product LP/Violectric sells. It's hard to find a contender for "end game sound" at that affordable entry price​ — affordable compared to these $1200-$6000+ dacs that are maybe 10% better tops. Lol.

Dude just sold his. I really dropped the ball here. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #7,428 of 12,302
One of the best metal combos I had ever heard! 

iDSD Micro BL + 99 Neo from Meze

Quoting myself like a lonely man I am 
gs1000.gif

My actual level of excitement over this combo: 

I caught only two hours of sleep last night. A combination of going to sleep late due to work and having to wake up for more work as Easter is coming led me to sleep only two hours. I had to work for the past eight hours and then I barely managed to make time to pick iDSD BL up. Romania celebrates Easter and we need to make space in our work schedule to afford a few days of time off, so I was in one of the worst moods I've been in a while due to all this fatigue.

I unboxed iDSD BL to see how it looks in person. Was pleasantly impressed by the packaging and many accessories, but I can barely keep my eyes open...

I said I should start a single song to see how it actually sounds like. Wasn't expecting much, and knowing that I'm both tired and kinda sad that I didn't even finish all my work, I thought I was going to stop after a single song and put it back in its box and continue looking at it after Easter.

It has been over a hour now. I should have been sleeping a day ago, but I can't stop listening to this thing!!! 

I am literally wearing iDSD Micr BL + Meze 99 Neo and I can't stop. I didn't get this enthused about Wa22 and other devices. The clear, balanced, detailed, well placed and natural sound of iDSD BL is incredible. 

To describe it, iDSD is transparent. But compared to many other DAC/AMP (s), it feels to me like it renders details really well, gives instruments a lot of air to breathe and the soundstage is so good. 

The separation between instruments is incredible as well. 

I'll probably fall asleep or fatigue pass-out while still listening 
gs1000.gif

Sorry, I'm just excited that I found something to give me this levels of enjoyment. The last few days I had to do so much work that I was feeling a bit down 
redface.gif

The natural, enthusiastic and warm/friendly tonality of the combo is baffling to witness.The bass is strong, fast and well controlled. Dynamic range is insane. I... It is freaking insane. I always thought that my past devices had a good dynamic range. This is a while new level entirely. The textures are incredible as well. I honestly never imagined that a DAC/AMP could make this much of a difference... 

The control and authority iDSD has over the headphones is also something unique. I love how it makes the headphone sound more controlled. More defined and refined. This happens with all headphones that are plugged in. 

(I have none of the enhancements engaged, power on the middle setting and no DSP, no EQ, just iDSD BL + Meze 99 Neo)

Hope that everyone is having the same levels of fun!! 

Time to stress test this witchery! 

Okay. 

So the song for this will be something insanely difficult with tons of instruments and effects and that can easily distort and sound awful on a setup. 

Found it. 

Dance Gavin Dance - I'm down in brown town

This song has 3-4 guitar notes sang at a 1/4 of a second difference at the same time the drums are hit with breath taking speed and the voices almost never stop during the song. 

And it does it. 

In fact, I never heard this song sang so well. There is zero trace of distortion. The guitars are spot-on both in detail, texture and tonality. The bass is also whole and natural sounding. It is strong and slams when it needs to. 

Time to stop writing and enjoy the sound until I can't stay awake anymore! 
gs1000.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #7,429 of 12,302
  Woah, just scored Sextett MPs. These are quite good indeed.

Welcome to the Sextett club!

What amp are you using?

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7,432 of 12,302
What is the current consensus on Fostex TH900 Mk I's for hard rock/metal?

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #7,434 of 12,302
  What is the current consensus on Fostex TH900 Mk I's for hard rock/metal?

I heard they're awesome! A friend told me that they sound like somewhat a bit better than ie800! I couldn't hear them though... 

I'm using Meze 99C and am satisfied. 

The things iDSD BL does with guitars is out of this world! Just try a solo with things thing and your favorite headphones and you won't be able to get back 
gs1000.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #7,435 of 12,302
Totally agree, i use the TH900's for over 4 years now, my main music is metal (thrash/death/heavy/progressive/symphonic) and I love them. I recently bought the Lawton update (cups/pads and tuning) which makes em even better. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #7,436 of 12,302
Thanks guys! I am considering a used pair of TH900's that already have the Lawton cup mods applied. Would have to consider the pad mod, but wow are those expensive compared to other pads. Would also want to get the fixed cable modified to allow a 4 pin XLR connection.

Dobrescu George - My amp is an iFi iCAN Pro so am a big iFi fan too 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #7,437 of 12,302
  Thanks guys! I am considering a used pair of TH900's that already have the Lawton cup mods applied. Would have to consider the pad mod, but wow are those expensive compared to other pads. Would also want to get the fixed cable modified to allow a 4 pin XLR connection.

Dobrescu George - My amp is an iFi iCAN Pro so am a big iFi fan too 
smily_headphones1.gif

Woah 

TH900 will satisfy you well then 
biggrin.gif
 Seems like a sweet headphone for us metal fans! 

I actually wished to get a pair before, but man they are expensive indeed 
redface.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #7,438 of 12,302
Woah 

TH900 will satisfy you well then :D  Seems like a sweet headphone for us metal fans! 

I actually wished to get a pair before, but man they are expensive indeed :xf_eek:  
I bought two of them last month.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #7,439 of 12,302
I bought two of them last month.

I also bought a pair a couple of months ago, and can also agree that they are fantastic for metal. They're extended in both the bass and treble so they're kind of perfect for it. I bought mine via eBay and got them for less than $800. No mods.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #7,440 of 12,302
I also bought a pair a couple of months ago, and can also agree that they are fantastic for metal. They're extended in both the bass and treble so they're kind of perfect for it. I bought mine via eBay and got them for less than $800. No mods.
one is stock the other has Lawton Level 1 mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back