Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,411 of 12,322
  I would love to read a review of yours on the Dharma when it becomes official, if you feel so inclined!

I hope to do it also )

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,412 of 12,322
  OMG, my Stax Lambdas just arrived. So far jus listened to: 
Necrophaegist - Stabwound
Sophicide - Of Lust and Vengance
Meshuggah - Obzen

All I can say is PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT. Tonally perfect. Unbelievable speed and precision. Gorgeous, aggressive chainsaw-like midrange. The perfect amount of bass with good impact. Amazingly layered and nuanced without losing the aggression. 

These are going to give the HD800 a major run for their money!!! My jaw was literally dropped, the whole time.

Jealous! Which exact model (including year) is yours? I wonder if I should get the 207 before the 009 or just save up for the 009.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,413 of 12,322
  Huh, from most of your reviews I gathered that you generally like the bass quite a bit. If not I'd have expected the SR009 and HD800 to do better, I suppose. Is it the laid back side of the phones that you didn't like here?

I do understand overall concept of laid back cans (if it is present, i.e. Senns 650 are the case, no doubts), I have personal favourites among "dark" cans (LCD-2/3), but Z7 are another case. They like to like you and nothing more ( 

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,414 of 12,322
Quote:
Meshuggah - Obzen

All I can say is PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT. Tonally perfect. Unbelievable speed and precision. Gorgeous, aggressive chainsaw-like midrange. The perfect amount of bass with good impact. Amazingly layered and nuanced without losing the aggression. 

These are going to give the HD800 a major run for their money!!! My jaw was literally dropped, the whole time.

Told you :p

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,415 of 12,322

Told you :p

Spot on, sir! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,416 of 12,322

Meshuggah - Obzen

Jealous! Which exact model (including year) is yours? I wonder if I should get the 207 before the 009 or just save up for the 009.

It's the original Lambda model they made from the late 70's through the early 90's, so the exact model is actually SR-Lambda. 

All other iterations (Lambda Pro, Nova, Signature, 404, 207, 407, 507, etc, etc) all came later. Some people also call it the Lambda SB (which stands for standard bias) just to avoid confusion.

Here are measurements on Innerfidelity (apparently the one they tested had an issue in the left channel... but you get the point):
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxLambdaSBsnA19858.pdf

Here are a couple reviews on it on Head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-sr-lambda

I'd totally get the 207, just to give it a try, if I were you. Or keep an eye on the sale/trade boards. I got my Lambda with the SRD-7 adaptor for $355... I figured it was the cheapest way to try out a Stax, so I just pulled the trigger. I'm absolutely floored by the value. The only other headphone I've tried that sounds this good is the HD800.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,417 of 12,322
  It's the original Lambda model they made from the late 70's through the early 90's, so the exact model is actually SR-Lambda. 

All other iterations (Lambda Pro, Nova, Signature, 404, 207, 407, 507, etc, etc) all came later. Some people also call it the Lambda SB (which stands for standard bias) just to avoid confusion.

Here are measurements on Innerfidelity (apparently the one they tested had an issue in the left channel... but you get the point):
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxLambdaSBsnA19858.pdf

Here are a couple reviews on it on Head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-sr-lambda

I'd totally get the 207, just to give it a try, if I were you. Or keep an eye on the sale/trade boards. I got my Lambda with the SRD-7 adaptor for $355... I figured it was the cheapest way to try out a Stax, so I just pulled the trigger. I'm absolutely floored by the value. The only other headphone I've tried that sounds this good is the HD800.

Where did you buy it from? I don't see deals like that on eBay.

I'm just a little concerned because even when imported from Japan, the SRS-2170 system (SR-207 + SRM-252S) would still cost around $500 after everything is said and done. I feel that money would be better put towards the SR-009 + SRM-323S system, which I can get for a little over $3K. (Then upgrade to the ultimate DIY T2 amp when I'm rich. lol)

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,418 of 12,322
Jun 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,420 of 12,322
There have been a couple. Somebody had a 507 on there fpr $499 that I was kind of balking at, and then I saw the lambda on there for $275 with a $65 SRD-7. I was like, "Done!"

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,422 of 12,322
Hmmm... I'm starting to find the Ultrasone Sig Pro a little less comfortable due to pressure sores on my ears where they touch the s-logic plates. It's fine as long as I don't take them off. Once they're off and my ears are sore, there is no putting them back on until hours later. This is a bit problematic as they're my only pair at the moment. It didn't bother me too much before, but allergy season is the worst... any extra irritation is more than I want to put up with.

My ears touch the back of every headphone's earpads I've ever worn. If the plates weren't there, I'd be fine. Ideally I'll keep the Sig Pro for commutes and shorter sessions (< 3 hours) and pick up a second pair for desktop & longer session use.

I would consider the TH900 if it wasn't for the shallow, pleather earpads that'll fail to create a proper seal and make my ears warm (irritated). I might be able to ask my 'rents for a temporary loan. Idk. I really don't have the money for another pair atm. A second hand HE560 isn't too steep of a price tag and I'd be able to pay that off/back. An HD800 is too far from reach as is a TH900 tbh.

Any thoughts on how the HE-560 differs from the Sig Pro? Obviously open vs closed, planar vs dynamic, inefficient vs efficient, blah blah blah. Sub, bass, mid, treble, quantity & quality? Aggression, energy, speed and decay are where I'm most interested. I hear the HE-560 get referred to as a little laid back, but noone ever compares it to what headphones it's more laid back than... which is unhelpful for me. If the HE560 is as laid back as an HD600 or X2, meh.

Well, I can't really speak for the HE-560, but my he-500 are quite aggressive. Much more so than sennheisers and Audeze I've tried in the past. But, not as much as a Grado. It's a good in between. It's in your face without being fatiguing. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,423 of 12,322
The times I have heard the 560 I have not felt like it was laid back. Not at all. I've only heard it from high-end amplification though.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,425 of 12,322
I can't compare to the Signature Pro, but comfortwise, the HE-560 scores pretty high in my book. My ears do touch the padding in front of the drivers, but never uncomfortably so. The ear pads press on my jaws a bit sometimes, but there are specific positions where they do not do so - and it's never painful for me. They're not too heavy and the suspension band type of headband seems to be the most comfortable for me. They also don't get very warm on my ears (due to them being open, I suppose).

I would not call them laid back, but I wouldn't call them aggressive either.They seem fairly flat, but have too much bass to be neutral (to my ears). A tad V-shaped (recessed mids), perhaps, too. I've heard them being described as bright and lean on bass, but on my NAD amp+DAC (which edges to neutral/bright on my speakers, especially with most metal), they sound pretty bassy and not very bright at all to me. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back