Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,441 of 12,314
  I don't know what to say. Realistic? What do you mean by that? I've heard the HD800 and HE-6, and although they definitely had their own flavors, they were very much realistic to my ears.

But, if you want a sound that is without a flavor, this doesn't exist, even a live show doesn't sound realistic by that standard. Most likely each of us perceive sounds differently and by this each of us have a "built in" flavor.

I say, get something that sounds good to you, have tons of detail and some soundstage and you should be fine. I absolutely can't see what could be wrong with these headphones so that you would find them sounding bad. 

Also, electrostats don't have a lot of impact. Like really not a lot. Keep that in mind.

See my recent post:

If every single recording in every single genre sounds bright and harsh (or warm and smooth), you can rest assured that you are not listening to accurate audio reproduction.

Could just be due to different systems...but those amps are powerful and cost thousands, so I dunno. I definitely won't be buying any of the headphones I heard today, at least not anytime soon.

I heard the SR-009 has a lot of impact from some of the better amps. I believe @paradoxper agrees.

Even if it doesn't, I plan on using the JVC HA-SZ200 for basshead purposes, so at least bass impact would be covered.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,442 of 12,314

See my recent post:

Could just be due to different systems...but those amps are powerful and cost thousands, so I dunno. I definitely won't be buying any of the headphones I heard today, at least not anytime soon.

I heard the SR-009 has a lot of impact from some of the better amps. I believe @paradoxper agrees.

Even if it doesn't, I plan on using the JVC HA-SZ200 for basshead purposes, so at least bass impact would be covered.

I've tried the SR-007 mkI, and there wasn't a lot of impact. It was on one of the higher end stax amp though, not something like a blue hawaii.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,444 of 12,314

If every single recording in every single genre sounds bright and harsh (or warm and smooth), you can rest assured that you are not listening to accurate audio reproduction.

Given how much cherry stuff you tried and didn't like today, I'm guessing it has more to do with the amps than the headphones themselves. I find it very hard to believe someone could try all that stuff and not like any of it. Flagship models can vary in sound pretty drastically from amp to amp. Especially the HD800. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,445 of 12,314
  Given how much cherry stuff you tried and didn't like today, I'm guessing it has more to do with the amps than the headphones themselves. I find it very hard to believe someone could try all that stuff and not like any of it. Flagship models can vary in sound pretty drastically from amp to amp. Especially the HD800. 

I listed the amps. They were very high quality. It's the headphones...and by the way, they sounded about the same from both amps.

The HD 800 has bright treble to the point of extreme physical pain. People often use tube amps to counteract that.

The HE1000 is overall the best headphone I have heard, but only on a technicality. It's just a little too warm and smooths over detail too much. I've heard many affordable headphones with much better clarity and detail.

The others I didn't listen to nearly as long as the other two.

For the record, I enjoyed them...but for the price, and with their weaknesses, I would never buy them.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,447 of 12,314
I didn't like a lot of headphones on my old Asgard 2... None would be more accurate. My HPA V100 is better (sounding) to me in every aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if, like others said, the DAC or AMP were to blame to an extent. Headphones I didn't like on my Asgard 2 were more pleasing to my ears on my HPA V100. With that said, the headphone's themselves still weren't to my liking, just less so— if that makes sense. Kinda like spicing up a recipe for a meal you dislike, it can taste better than it did before while still inherantly being "meh" to your tastebuds.

The Sennheiser HDVD 800 was specially made for the HD 800. The MOON Neo 430HA is very powerful and costs many thousands of dollars. This talk about it being the fault of the amps is nonsense. It's the headphones, man...

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,448 of 12,314
I listed the amps. They were very high quality. It's the headphones...and by the way, they sounded about the same from both amps.

The HD 800 has bright treble to the point of extreme physical pain. People often use tube amps to counteract that.

The HE1000 is overall the best headphone I have heard, but only on a technicality. It's just a little too warm and smooths over detail too much. I've heard many affordable headphones with much better clarity and detail.

The others I didn't listen to nearly as long as the other two.

For the record, I enjoyed them...but for the price, and with their weaknesses, I would never buy them.

Just because they are high quality amps, doesn't mean you are going to like them. The HD800 definitely needs a warm tube amp, in my experience. I've never had any brightness issues with it on the Lyr, but I have on several other setups, for what it's worth. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,449 of 12,314
  Just because they are high quality amps, doesn't mean you are going to like them. The HD800 definitely needs a warm tube amp, in my experience. I've never had any brightness issues with it on the Lyr, but I have on several other setups, for what it's worth. 

It isn't about me liking them; it's about them being neutral amps, and the HD 800 being bright, yet people somehow denying this obvious fact. Anyway, I'm sure I would like it more from a warm tube amp, but I've lost all interest in the headphones I heard today either way. Really depressed right now...

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,450 of 12,314

mmm... I think that really only tells you where your personal preference is on the warm>>>bright scale. from my direct comparisons, the HD800 is really only a touch brighter than something like the nad hp50 or hd600 or spirit headphones (finally got a chance to demo it). not that bright and harsh that you can't adjust after one week of listening. painfully bright would suggest either the set-up being used was also extremely on the bright side of the scale or that you prefer a warmer sound or the specific source material exaggerated the peaks of the hd800. sure the hd800 is on the brighter side of the scale & relatively brighter to a degree compared to most other headphones, but I don't think it's painfully bright for everyone as there are quite a lot of happy hd800 owners out there. the hd800 definitely does better on a warmer amplifier though imo. for someone who gets used to the hd800, everything else sounds too dark/warm. can be a bit of a shock switching from a warmer pair of headphones to the hd800, but once you get used to its sound sig, I don't think it's that problematic. probably not worth trying to get used to it though in your case though since you had such a severe dislike for its treble tuning.

do note that it does also take our brains a bit of time to get used to a new sound signature, so don't be too depressed! just pick your favorite and buy them for a week and see how you feel about them afterwards. compared relatively against each other every headphone will have a certain different strength/weakness. just have to find the one that fits you! :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,451 of 12,314
  mmm... I think that really only tells you where your personal preference is on the warm>>>bright scale. from my direct comparisons, the HD800 is really only a touch brighter than something like the nad hp50 or hd600 or spirit headphones (finally got a chance to demo it). not that bright and harsh that you can't adjust after one week of listening. painfully bright would suggest either the set-up being used was also extremely on the bright side of the scale or that you prefer a warmer sound. the hd800 definitely does better on a warmer amplifier though imo. for someone who gets used to the hd800, everything else sounds too dark/warm.

do note that it does also take our brains a bit of time to get used to a new sound signature, so don't be too depressed! just pick your favorite and buy them for a week and see how you feel about them afterwards. compared relatively against each other every headphone will have a certain different strength/weakness. just have to find the one that fits you! :)

I prefer accurate sound. Period. The HD 800 is so bright and harsh that it makes my ears and brain hurt, like physically. The Focal Spirit Professional is darker, but too dark.

I'm just gonna take the plunge into STAX and see how it goes...

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,452 of 12,314
  I prefer accurate sound. Period. The HD 800 is so bright and harsh that it makes my ears and brain hurt, like physically. The Focal Spirit Professional is darker, but too dark.

I'm just gonna take the plunge into STAX and see how it goes...

good luck! hope you find what you are looking for :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,453 of 12,314

I've tried the SR-007 mkI, and there wasn't a lot of impact. It was on one of the higher end stax amp though, not something like a blue hawaii.

There is plenty of bass on the right amp. However if you are a basshead or want more coloration, planar's do offer more. You want great texture, extension and 
good impact the 009 is by far the cream of the crop to my ears. More bloom in the 007. HD800 offers less as well, but extends nicely. 

But really...you want bass...get speakers so you can feel the visceral quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back